Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I am thinking of starting an IG army but will not use "Human" minis. As such I want to limit the vehilces to perhaps 1 Basilisk and 4 Sentinels (both of which will be custom made). The only IG I face with my DE Wych Cult are fielded by folks that IMHO don't know how to use them as I've never gone more that 4 turns before they are wiped out. Running Chimeras strait at Dark Lance squads isn't too smart.
But anyways, is a totally footslogging IG force a viable army?
A complete infantry based Ig army is simply terrifying to go up against, there are just so many heavy weapons and bodies to deal with.
Your slow yes but when the enemy has to rush up to you, you'll hve a lot of guns to ponit at them, facing the wrong end of 250+ lasguns is not funny
an entirely footslogging force will most certainly work all those lovely heavy weapons, stand there and shoot anything that comes into range, the Ig can field a huge amount of models with LOTS of guns.
the only thing i didnt understand what do you mean your not going to use "human" minis?
what are you going to use
WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER ITOriginally Posted by artificer
Another thing worth mentioning about all infantry armies. The worst thing that a railgun or lascannon could kill would be a guardsman, effectively turning them almost useless.
Sorry that little bit of info will stay with me for now. It is going to be a 100% converted Army. I will post a pic when I get them started.Originally Posted by cadre_of_storms
For a 2K force as that is what we normally do here a few requests for info.
1. Having a little trouble configuring the HQs. Suggestions appreciated.
2. When I build the troops should I add conscripts or just regular soldiers. Armored Fist squads are out since no Chimeras if at all possible.
3. With the HW squads should I have LAS, HBs, and MLs in the same platoon or should Plt A have one type B another ect....?
4. Ratlings - Seems like you should take 10 or none. Correct?
5. Ogryns in a foot slogger force worth it. Not planning on much HtH if I can help it but they may be useful.
If anyone has a footslogger army list that they would be willing to PM or email me in Army Builder format or as an HTML it would be appreciated. Don't want to plagarize it (half the fun is building the list ) as I have ideas for what the basics should look like but would like to see the upgrades and wargear you go with.
1. Mortar and master vox. or, grenade launchers w/ stormbolter and standard. or, heavy weapon such as autocannon (low priority, but still effective).Originally Posted by ollieb
2. In 2k points, 2 infantry platoons and 2 consciript platoons (you don't have to max the conscripts). Or, 2 platoons and 3 grenadier squads.
3. As necessary. I like making platoons that are similar, but really, it doesn't matter at all.
5. Nope, if you want a counter-assault unit, you'd be better off with roughriders.
What doctrines are you planning on using?
Proud bearer of the Imperial Medal of Anti-Fluff
If you run 2k of foot IG you are talking about over 200 models. They will be pack in petty close together. So ordances will be problem and blast templates(whirlwinds, frag missile launchers).Also after he assault you and massagre you he will be able to get in contact with another unit . So the only down size is being too close to each other.
The upside is he will not be able to kill everybody. I would love to see it.
Goodluck on it
Hmm ok, some general premises for you:
1. if you are gonna convert your minis then an IG foot slogger army is a problem in terms of time, you will have a huge amount of figures to convert
2. your strength is your numbers, Ogryn = too expensive, huge amounts of wargear = too expensive. Have a look at back issues of WD, a while ago there was a bat rep between IG and orks, the IG was a decent foot slogger army
3. HWs: all HWs in a HW squad the same
I know I'm in for a lifetime of cutting, glueing and painting but the alternative is staying out of the basement and spending quality time with the wife (hope she doesn't read this).
Template weapons I'm not worried about as he can't get more than 1 unit a shot (barring a lucky scatter). HtH is an issue but I'm figuring "death by flashlight" will help whittle down a charge.
All good pointers and thanks. Agree that wargeHaven't decided exactly which doctrines I'll be taking. Going to slap together a rudimentary army list tonight or tomorrow if I get the time and throw it out for comment.
With 10 men in a squad and 2 to 5 squads in a platoon, you would need to buy a ton of bodies, and I mean a ton of them. That's 50 people in a full platoon, then you would maybe have 4 or more platoons, giving you around 200 to 300 models (just in the platoons, and not counting the junior officers and their squads). That is huge, the only other army that could possibly get close to that are minimalized gear on guants, that would be less points for the same number of models (however you would have them in only six squads, and probubly 2 armies to get as many bodies).
But, you would take about an hour just setting up, and each of your turns would take ages to get through.