Sample Elysian Drop Troop painting scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sample Elysian Drop Troop painting scheme

I'm thinking of getting back into 40k after a long absence playing Lizardmen in WHFB, and these nifty Elysians look right up my street.

Anyway I was messing around with a painting package trying to find a colour scheme I'd like when I realised there are only a few 'colour' shots of Elysians online atm, so I thought I'd upload a few for the gents here to check out, maybe suggest a better colour scheme for me!

Anyway, what do you think of these two colour schemes?

They're roughly based on the UK army's camo / equipment colours that they use today.

I reckon I prefer the second set.

Anyway, hope you enjoy seeing some colourful Elysians, even if they're not 'real' (yet! *waits patiently by the letterbox for a delivery*)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK
    1. cant see your links, get blocked by a firewall
    2. the top mini on the FW site is the sceme for Taros Campaign, which is IA3 and will contain the Elysian army list
    3. The Elysian minis, whilst exquisite, are a pain to assemble and paint, trust me I got just shy of 50 of them, test colour schemes I had done on Cadians and Kasrkin did not come out the same on Elysian minis, principally this is around teh jump suits, I did my jump suits blue grey by starting at mid grey and feathering up to almost white then applying a thin blue ink wash, this looked realy good on the Cadians and stormies as their jump suits are pricipally convex, so the ink settled mostly in the recesses and gave the bulk of the surface just a hint of lue, but the Elysian jump suits are principally concave and as a result the wash covers most of the suit which ends up predominantly bue, now the effect is fine but it wasnt what I intended.
    4. Camo, basic principle of IG - Camo in the real world is to make your troops vanish, however the principle of camo on IG is to make them look like they are wearing camo, hence real world camo schemes tend not to work on 28mm minis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Aye, they do look a little dull, but that may be partially due to the lighting.

With such expensive minis, its gonna be worth spending a little time in getting it right. As Ex-British Army myself, I would be intrigued to see a classic DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) on such fine models, but it won't be easy. There are four colours in British DPM, a light Olive or Sand as the base, then large red-brown and leaf-green 'splodges', and finally black fleck marks. With 28mm minis, you have to lighten the colours somewhat to stop them closing in and appearing too dark. Also, dont make the mistake of painting the camo patterns too roughly.

This is British DPM

and this, by the way, is Swedish camoflage, I have been meaning to use it on something myself...

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks for the shot of the British DPM Hard Aun, that's the best shot I've seen online... if only I could find my old cadet uniform I'd have had some real fabric to get the colour scheme from. ^_^

I thought it might be fun to do a British Army scheme on Elysians, and due to their bullpup rifles I'm hoping to replicate a bit of the look of the SA80 for them. If it goes well I'm hoping to put together a full drop force done in UK military colours, but best to start small first!

I'll be doing some test paintings on some Cadians over the next few days while I wait for my first Elysian squad to arrive... I reckon I can take them slow and steady with this complex camo painting scheme since I already have another old army I can use for getting back into 40k while I work on painting up a nice balanced force over the next fifteen years or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harbish I like your Elysians, but yeah they are a little dark. Other than that they're awesome. I assume your army has a 'modern military' theme? I too have bought Elysians and plan to paint them to look like the Delta Force troopers as seen in the movie Black Hawk down. Black armor over desert camo clothing. I'm curious though, are you painting one squad with woodland camo AND one squad with desert camo or you just can't decide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want some elisians, but they cost like $96 for ten of em here in australia, and thats not including shipping!!! Your paint job is cool, very realistic, most camos are generally darker, i like it.
    ''I AM A BANANA!!!'' -Regected cartoons
    Space marines = AMETURES in big armour!!
    The ANZAC Clan is gonna kick your international ass!!
    http://www.myspace.com/shannonisbig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those pictures aren't paintjobs, rather they're computer simulations I made to test colour schemes... I eventually went with the DPM style that Hard Aun posted... I'd post some pictures of the finished results but they're about 220 miles from me right now... ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That must have been one trippie paintbrush!!
    ''I AM A BANANA!!!'' -Regected cartoons
    Space marines = AMETURES in big armour!!
    The ANZAC Clan is gonna kick your international ass!!
    http://www.myspace.com/shannonisbig

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

It's a bit hard to see the paintscheme because of the lighting, but what i can see sure looks better than anything i'll be able to do. I'm a horrible painter.

Cheredanine, when might we se pictures of your Elysians? Your paintscheme sounds interesting.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

A little belated, but here you go Kaiser:

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...c=3&userid=106

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast