a spacial weapons based IG - could work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a spacial weapons based IG - could work?

I was having a cool idea for a little different IG army. I saw a lot of people who drop the spacial weapon and only get a havey weapon - useally a lascanon. Well, I think of doing the exact oposite - giving my guardsmen only a spacial weapon! the idea - the army is allways on the move, getting 24" of the enemy and just shooting the hell out of him with lasgun and spacial weapon firepower - for short, assult troops. They will be backed up by ordence fire from the tanks, and tough targets will be taken out by hevey weapons soupport squads - perhaps 3 ati tank squads or fire soupport will do the trick? or maybe a heavy weapons platoon? For doctarins, I was thinking:
    1. Storm Troopers
    2. Spacial weapons squads
    3. Heavy weapons spatoons
    4. either carapace armor, or maybe light infantry, for the sniper rifle as a heavy weapon to keep the heavy weapon theme, but I would have to drop the carapace armor because they can't be combined.
    5. have no idea. hardened fighters seems desperate. maybe I will just leave it blank.

so what do you think of this unortodox IG? could work? any suggestions? what shuld be my prefered spacial weapon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you put a sniper rifle in a squad, keep in mind that it won't be able to move and fire (the sniper rifle, that is) as it is "heavy 1".

I like the idea and would reccomend grenades, plasma and flamers in equal parts (though maybe grenades flamers a little less equal than the others) in the squads and melta and plasma in the command squads. Those infantry squads, worth next to no victory points and without heavy weapons, will stop being targets for your enemy fire, so keep in mind that your tanks and heavy weapon squads will be absorbing a higher than normal amount of shots. The tanks will bite the dust early, I imagine, so keep your heavy weapons squads in cover whenever possible so they'll still get thier saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use Grenadiers; BS4 teams of 2 special weapons, and you can let the rest of your Guard be Light Infantry if you're so inclined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Important things to remember:

1. All your squads can get a stormbolter at 11 points.
    2. Grenade launchers give you your best range.
    3. drop troops and meltaguns.
    4. jungle fighters can get you a heavy flamer.. expensive and flamers suck.
    5. mobility.. use chimeras
    6. vets and special weapon squads (as you already mentioned)
    7. you can mix in last chancer's for extra special weapons.
    8. sentinels would be good as mobile heavy weapons.
    9. conscripts with flamers.
    Proud bearer of the Imperial Medal of Anti-Fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can my squads get a stormbolter for 11 pts? you mean upgrading the sarge and giving him a SB? I like the idea...

chimras? sounds good. shuld I get the meachanized doc.?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

That'd be a nasty army. You could max with 4 subunits of last chancers, utilzing reminate sqauds and using grenadiers to get yourself 6 groups of stormtroopers with 5 men each for one nasty army. Add Droptroops to that and you will kick some butt. use plasma guns, flamers, and meltas, drop into the middle of anybody, and you'll be almost as bad as marines.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't take mechanised, just take a Chimera with every squad that has the option.. or just a few of them as anti-infantry support. Grenadier and command squads would be the best choices.
    Proud bearer of the Imperial Medal of Anti-Fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK it is possible to go mechanised, get everything a Chimera, zoom up the field, leap out and shoot your foe, but I suspect what will happen is that you will very rapidly regret the points you have spent on chimeras which will mean you have very few men, you will kill very few of the oposition who will readily leap on you and rip you to bits.

Personnaly I am asmbling an Elysian army, and waiting not particularly patiently for IA3 to come out, but you can do something similar with drop troops as someone pointed out above, drop your units next to them and open up with meltas or flamers, got special weapons squads? then take demo charges, what sentinals? take Catchan, drop a heavy flamer next to a unit and open up

+ Reply to Thread