How to use Devastator squads? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to use Devastator squads?

I need help using my devastator squd against Tau. I have good weapons against them as in a heavy bolter and missile launcher. But he knows how to use his tau, what should i do? :confused:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I would suggest two lascannons and two missile launchers. You want high strength to take out his crises suits and you want templates for his infantry. If he uses a lot of transports, just like any other army, then when they unload out of a transport fire your blast templates at the squad and they will be devastated, it works really well with tau because of their high armor save.

If you put heavy bolters in your tactical squads then you can focus them in taking out his troops.
    ...upon your defeat you retreat to the morgue, for maybe you will find a better life amongst the dead...

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

i would bring 4 ML, cause they are the best in dev squads anyways, and they will punch through the crisis suilt, wih insta kills. Give the tactical squads heavy bolters to mow down the troops, or take a second dev squad with 4 heavy bolters.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

Quick guide to non-infiltrating Devs here:

Step One: Get four bolter Marines and four missle launcher Marines.

Step Two: Deploy in cover with line of sight to a good portion of the enemy.

Step Three: Make the enemy eat four frag (against hordes) or krak (against vehicles and/or heavy infantry) missles every turn.

Step Four: Support and protect the Devs with other units.

Target priority should be anything that denies you an armor save or is uberly good in close combat. This means Crisis Suits with plasma and/or fusion, Broadsides, Hammerheads (either type), and Kroot.
    signature pending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep in mind broadsides have a 2+ save and so get an armour save against every thing exept the lascannon.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find a piece of cover with several fire lanes and put them 5' in and shoot out. You'll want to keep them as far back as possible since FW have decent range and can have quite a few shots. I would also say give your Dev squads extra bodies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Having a few extra men in your dev squad is important, since they act as extra wounds if you come under heavy fire and don't want to lose a weapon. The morale questions is also vital; falling back counts as moving for the purposes of firing heavy weapons, so even if you regroup after taking a wound or two you've still lost a turn of shooting. Take at least six, including the Sergeant. Six is the absolute minimum for any SM squad, in my opinion.

Thought they shouldn't even be getting shot at anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definately recommend Missile Launchers in this situation. My Tau friend plays a very crisis heavy army, I try and see which units he is likely to attack first, and put my devestator squads, or any squads primarily used for taking out Crisis anywhere on the table where they will not have to move.
    Because my friend likes to deep strike his Crisis', I can put them almost anywhere. As mentioned above, either use large squads with at least 4 other bolter armed marines, or alternativly, try and get as many missile launchers on the table as possible for as cheap as possible, even if that means disbanding your devestator squads and giving missile launchers to Tactical marines. Afterall, a small scout squad with a missile launcher, if infiltrated into a good enough position, is better then a large, highly targeted devestator squad which doesn't survive the first turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

I don't find static shooting very effective against crisis suits. Any Tau player worth his salt will not get into LOS of a big devestator squad because he can move, shoot and move again behind cover.

Best way to kill crisis suits are either, play against bad tau players, play on horrible game boards or assault them with fast units

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its really going to depend on the tactics of your Tau opponent and the terrain. You say he knows how to use the Tau, a little more elaboration would be helpful. Is it mostly you find it hard to pin down suits with the jump shoot jump in cover problem, or are his firewarriors always skimming around on Devilfishes?
    The problem is going to be the fact that Devastators are heavy support, so unless you take the infilitrate skill your tau opponent will be able to fully react to your deployment. So with judicious use of cover, he could neutralize a heavy weapon team by not allowing you to shoot at the easy or choice targets for Devastators, Firewarriors and Crisis Suits. Infilitrating might be an effective way to ensure that you at least have a chance to put a heavy weapon down in reaction to him, rather than allowing him to react to you.
    Lascannons with tank hunter skill would be good for going against the Tau skimmers and broadsides, it neutralizes his Sv on the broadsides, and can pierce with ease the skimmer armor, though it will still generally count as glancing.

In the end, a well played tau force is one that can quickly adapt to an enemy force and deny them a clear shot via the use of their skimmers and suit's movement. A devastator team is a static unit that can easily be neutralized by a good Tau player. In contrast, assault marines would be the bane of a Tau player as they are fast enough to start to pin them down. To effectively use a devastator squad you are going to have to develop a way to herd the Tau where you want them, instead of reacting to them.

+ Reply to Thread