The use of Rhinos - good or bad? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The use of Rhinos - good or bad?

I find that rinos seem to be tender boxes at the hands of a torch. Is ther any other way to transport without the hight cost or getting looked at wrong and blowing up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Pye
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a SM player but have you considered:

Drop Pods?

Land Raiders? (Not cheap I know)

A bike mounted army?

Or Infiltrate? (I believe there's a trait which allows tac and dev squads to do this)

Just some thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you have some good stuff like landraiders, then people are going to be focusing o taking this out, they aren't going to give a shi* about the rhino.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. It's armed with a mighty STORM BOLTER. I think that I will shoot that instead of destroying the rest of his army that can actually do something.

OK well that is the theory anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a battle sisters player and therefore I will have slightly different strategies to SM players, but I always field lots of rhinos with dozer blades, smoke launchers and extra armour. All these upgrades are cheap - still only about 60 pts each. In turn 1 they go behind terrain and so penetrating hits are downgraded to glancing hits on 4+, they then drive forward with no real risk of immobilising themselves. Turn 2 they pop the smoke, turn 3 they are already there :shifty:

This generally works quite well but thats just my thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally just mainly field LR/LRC's for transporting. A razorback is good too, it can be blown up easy but you can give it a lascannon so atleast you can shoot some crap up first, Position it so it's hulldown and blast away until you need to rush in.

Space Wolves- 4,000 pts
    Tau- 500pts
    Dwarves in progress

gamesondemand

Quote Originally Posted by pro_necron
    I am a battle sisters player and therefore I will have slightly different strategies to SM players, but I always field lots of rhinos with dozer blades, smoke launchers and extra armour. All these upgrades are cheap - still only about 60 pts each. In turn 1 they go behind terrain and so penetrating hits are downgraded to glancing hits on 4+, they then drive forward with no real risk of immobilising themselves. Turn 2 they pop the smoke, turn 3 they are already there :shifty:

This generally works quite well but thats just my thoughts
    this tactic is quite good if you choose to keep those rhinos. however, i have found rhinos to be of almost no use as compared to my lrc. my army is very assaulty, but still in progress, so for now i use my lrc to assault up to the enemy any regular troops that dont move more than 6", which is for me only two units, one a 10 man tac squad, the other being a scout sniper squad which i do not move except to get into cover. otherwise, in one of my first games i learned that my rhino was pretty much useless, being shot to pieces on turn 2 and having the squad inside killed, with only 4 survivors, which were pretty badly mauled right after :eek: . so i dont rely on rhinos. one tactic is to have a six man tac squad off the board inside of either a rhino and a razorback and have both rhino and razorback zoom up to the front where you want to deploy your troops and then your opponent will have to shoot at them or risk a six man squad ending up in their lap. most of the time the opponent will take out the razorback seeing it as a higher risk because it can shoot, so it is a safe bet to put the sqaud in the rhino.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As has been mentioned before rhinos have little use, but if utilised in the correct way, they can have a devastating effect.

Firstly - give the enemy a more imminent threat, e.g. bikes, landspeeders, scouts and they will leave your rhinos alone. This gives you the chance to get that bit closer. Upgrade your rhino with dozer blades, extra armour and smoke launchers as mentioned before and you could get quite closeto the enemy - i personally would fire SL's after disembarking to give your troops the chance to survive outside the rhino whilst not being able to charge. (or if you play SW like me, use your RP to Storm Call over that unit)

Secondly - pair a rhino with something that can do more damage, such as a razorback or attack bike. Again your enemy will normally pile it's shots into the better armed threat leaving your rhino. Not an effective use of other units, but an option all the same.

Thirdly - hug terrain as if you life depended on it, and in most cases with using rhinos that is exactly what your life will depend on.

Fourthly - use the rhino as a mobile shield. Now that you can nolonger charge out of rhinos, do not put your troops in them and just frog march your troops up the field using the rhino to block LOS. OK not the most effective use of a rhino, but for 50 points a mobile shield is not bad. Although it does stop your troops from being able to fire, whereas if they were in the rhino you could at least fire off a couple of weapons from the firing points.

Rhinos do still have a place in a SM army, but the tactics you now have available to you are limited.

I personally put other threats on the field, such as a LRC filled with either 10 Terminators or 15 Blood Claws (or at least let the enemy think that is what is in the LRC) along with speeders, bikes, Long Fangs, basically anything that can lay down fire into the enemy from my starting point and the rhinos can quietly edge up the flank, unload troops behind cover, shoot if able, wait till next turn then pop out of hiding shoot and charge. All the time laying down fire with my many other threats.
    Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive found my rhino to be pretty effective. I know rhinos have paper thin armour but ive found that most of the time it will surivive one turn of shooting. From cover i make a max move and turn the rhino semi side on. If the rhino is destroyed, marines pop out and use the rhino as cover. I like using tactical squads to advance on the enemy and without a rhino it would take them too long to get into battle. Without my rhino transporting, id expect them take a couple of hits and lose 4 marines and so i find that the rhino is worth its pts value. A razorback with lascannon is simply too expensive to field i feel, and is a greater threat than a rhino and would be destroyed faster.
    Ultramarines Second Company

W/L/D

1/2/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can utilize rhinos for things other than "rushing" they are still effecitve. Examples:

1) Drive up 12" and rapid fire bolters
    2) Block LOS for your opponents, remember vehicles can block LOS on monsterous creatures as well
    3) Remember that unless a rhino "explodes" it will still be there, so you can create your own terrain
    4) Most importantly: You don't have to deploy the squad IN the rhino, or near it for that matter.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not too sure but I think you can move either 12" or under and still deploy. It must be then possible to deploy your units behind the Rhino's. If they get destoyed, So what, your units aren't pinnend and automatically get cover, and if the enemy wants to assault you he must pass through difficult terain. In your next turn you can either move into the cover and rapid fire or try moving through/around it and assaulting. If you decide to rapid fire then you will strike first if he assaults you, unless he has frag grenades equivalent?? So there is a plus to rhino's but their usability surely have gone down since the new rules came out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast