Gkt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gkt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gkt

hey i have been looking around a bunch and, i dont actually play DH (yet....) but most lists i see have very very few, or no GKT, and i know there exspensive, but they seem so good, why dont people play with lots of them?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We only use a few because that is how many it takes to get the job done. Nyhow, a GM with 4 bodyguards can go into the 400 pts range, so using more has a possibility of wasted points, or over vulnerability to plasma lists.

The prospect of being outnumbered 5:1 is always a prospect in GK lists. If you are too heavy on GKT, you have the potential of being outnumbered 10:1.

Lots of GKT is a very tough list to use. Against me, i would have my GKT backed up by lots of Plasma, Las, etc.
    Where's your Baritone Saxophone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to use at least 2x6GKT. Two squads shredding everything in vicinity is just too much for people to handle.Worst case scenario, one fails miserably and I only have one shredder. Buhu, they still won the game for me.
    Usually however, they roll up wherever they are with varying degrees of casualties in return over several turns.

On the other hand, I don't use any PAGKs. S6 doesn't really do so much when those carapace armoured IG save on 4+ anyways:rolleyes:.
    S6 Power Weapons all the way, basically, the equation is hit = wound. Justicars & GKTs rule 40k. Really, they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Overcannon hit it on the nose: cost. When a full squad of tactical space marines with special & heavy weapons costs less than four GKT, you know you're using expensive units! Plus, they're rather expensive $-wise. paying extra points AND money to be even MORE outnumbered than usual is something most players don't want to do.

Don't get me wrong though: they're phenominal models and remarkably useful on the table. But I love my PAGK/FAGK, and I love my inducted Guard, so using more than 4-6 GKT in a list probably isn't going to happen until I hit 2500-3000pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so what do you guys usually use as the bulk or your GK army, i mean all there modles are exspensive, so like grandmaster with retinues then like just some normal greyknights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Well, that depends on your personal play style. My army has two full units of stormtroopers, two IG armored fists, and two full FAGK squads. Some players like all-GK squads where you have Troop, FA, and Heavy slots filled with GK squads. Some players have lists where a GM & bodyguard are the ONLY GK models on the list, instead using IST and inducted IG or WH for the rest.

I'd say that if you want a balanced list, a unit or two of stormtroopers is a must. Give them Rhino or Chimera transports and teleport homers, and they can act as a welcome mat for your Deepstriking GKT/FAGK squads. After that, it's personal preference.

Of course, I'm sure someone will disagree with me, since this is purely subjective ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by mEGALOMANIAC
    Well, that depends on your personal play style. My army has two full units of stormtroopers, two IG armored fists, and two full FAGK squads. Some players like all-GK squads where you have Troop, FA, and Heavy slots filled with GK squads. Some players have lists where a GM & bodyguard are the ONLY GK models on the list, instead using IST and inducted IG or WH for the rest.

I'd say that if you want a balanced list, a unit or two of stormtroopers is a must. Give them Rhino or Chimera transports and teleport homers, and they can act as a welcome mat for your Deepstriking GKT/FAGK squads. After that, it's personal preference.

Of course, I'm sure someone will disagree with me, since this is purely subjective ^^
    True.
    Though I don't really agree, I don't disagree completely. But it looks to me it's a bigger challenge to play without IG's in the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Quivering
    I try to use at least 2x6GKT. Two squads shredding everything in vicinity is just too much for people to handle.Worst case scenario, one fails miserably and I only have one shredder. Buhu, they still won the game for me.
    Usually however, they roll up wherever they are with varying degrees of casualties in return over several turns.

On the other hand, I don't use any PAGKs. S6 doesn't really do so much when those carapace armoured IG save on 4+ anyways.
    S6 Power Weapons all the way, basically, the equation is hit = wound. Justicars & GKTs rule 40k. Really, they do.
    But it doesn't really matter if they get saves, you usually have enough attacks to make them cry anyways, a full sized GK squad would massacre's bout 7 IG's per round of combat (18attack +3 PW attack, 12 hits +2pw hits, 10 wounds +2 pw Wounds, 5 dead +2pw dead), which probable is enough to make run, so you'll be owning bout 1 squad a turn, and termy's work yes, but to make the same ammount of kill you need bout 5-6 termy's (7dead= 7wounds= 8-9hits=12 attacks) which'll mean bout 291 points, which isn't only more points also is a really big firepower magnet. On the other hand if you got a but load of PAGK/FAGK's supporting them they'll have more concerns then only the termy's so it'll be harder for the to choose and you won't be outnumbered 2:1 or more in that case. Also how many points is your army, cuz if you play above 2000 points, it looks fair to me that you got bout 12 termy's in you list.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blood_Lord, I'm sure your math is right, but I can tell you, a less than full squad of Grey Knights will kill ten gaurdsmen with ease, they probably won't even get a chance to run away. Grey Knights can beat down Khorne berzerkers in assault, if the berzerkers don't get the charge the Grey Knights are better. I've been taking a lot fewer terminators than I used to, the lists I've used lately have one squad of 6-7.
    There's an angel on my shoulder, in my hand a sword of gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: oops, my computer hates me
    There's an angel on my shoulder, in my hand a sword of gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by lepermessiah
    Blood_Lord, I'm sure your math is right, but I can tell you, a less than full squad of Grey Knights will kill ten gaurdsmen with ease, they probably won't even get a chance to run away. Grey Knights can beat down Khorne berzerkers in assault, if the berzerkers don't get the charge the Grey Knights are better. I've been taking a lot fewer terminators than I used to, the lists I've used lately have one squad of 6-7.

I know, but I thought it was easier to do the math with a full size squad. And it wasn't really directed to you, IMO I'd say bout 5-6 termy's on the first 2000 points and wfterwards, and other 6 for every 1000 I think, unless your going like max all out, you'll be to bout 9000 points or so, but no where near 80 termy's maybe 50 but no more I think.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

+ Reply to Thread