Need help on starting DH army! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Need help on starting DH army!

Currently i'm trying to sell off my IG to my friend for a DH army, 93 IG models takes too long to setup. So i've been planning a little and this is the list i've come up with so far. Is this good? Would it pose a challenging threat or should I change stuff? Here it is:

Hq:
    Grandmaster - 145
    inc. 7x GKT squad - 343
    inc. LRC - 260

Troops:
    5x GK's - 125
    10x GK's - 250

Fast:
    5x GK's - 125

Heavy:
    GKD - 80
    inc. T-L lascannon - 50

GKD - 80
    inc. T-L lascannon

total = 1508 points.

Good? or should I change stuff? Help is very much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Your GM will be such a big target is not funny, plus once its destroyed your GKTs have to hoof it.

Heres what I would do:

-Loose the LRC
    -Make the GKT a sepreate unit (your GM can still join them)
    -get mor GKs
    -Maybe throw in an assasin or maybe some allies

IMO If you played me you would lose easy, as I play Tau, I would take out the LRC, them move on to the dreads.

And remeber, no matter how good your save is you'll fail it eventually!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x2)

I want to go pure DH tho so allies are out of the question. Also tho, if I lose the LRC what would I replace it with? The GM is a little risky to constantly DS isnt's a LRC a safer bet?

P.S.- If I deepstrike, can I move, shoot, then charge if in range?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DS works, the risks are exagerated. Don't take too adventurous risks and make sure to DS in one spot, don't DS one unit in this quarter, another unit in that quarter, etc. ALL of them at the same place.
    Use only a total of 6 (Terminator) models for it though as the bases are so big- if you get near obstacles or models, those 8 will guaranteed make you lose models. 6 is perfect.
    Drop the LRC too, then you have points for much more GKs or another squad GKTs.

GK unitss cost abit more than your points indicate, you'll see when you buy the Codex. 8 per squad is a good size for Power Armoured GKs, deep striking or footslogging. You can't go wrong with PsyCannons either.

Do you want pure GK or pure DH? Because IST, shooty Inq and Imperial Assassins kick serious butt.

The Dreads are good.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd definately keep the LRC, actually. It's a good troop delivery device, has decent firepower of it's own, and people will tend to fire at it rather than the dreads, which will be killing their tanks. You can put an HK missle on it too; 15 pts is a lot for one shot but it increases their opportunity costs and indecision, and you might even get lucky and kill something important with it.

And no, once you DS, then your unit is just sitting there for a turn. They get to shoot, but that's it. That's why I'm not fond of it. Assaulting out of a frag sspewing super-tank is better!

I would put some teleport homers with the reg GK squads, so that you may drop the GKT and FAGK right among them. I would also seperate the GM from the terminators, and then put him with the 10 GK in the LRC. The majority armor save rules won't affect you in CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x2)

So I should actually seperate the GM from the termies and add him to the regular 10 model GK squad and then put them in the LRC? Interesting. I'll try it. What if I then take off 2 termies and add a brother-captian to the termie squad? Should I still deep-strike them or no? I don't want them to get shot up or nothin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

My own views:

Like MiketehFox pointed out, way too top heavy - and all your eggs in the same basket. For a 1500pt GK force, I wouldn't take more than 4-5 GK Terminators, plus the GK Hero. You should have at LEAST 3 squads of 8+ power armored GK each, just for number's sake. Squads of 5 models will die faster than you'd believe, especially once they get into combat.

Deepstriking power armored GK squads should always be 8-10 models, because they WILL take a round of enemy fire before seeing combat. And because of the 4th edition Fearless rules for being outnumbered in combat, you need to WIN combat after taking that enemy fire or you could lose the squad entirely.

Don't use LRs or LRCs in a game under 2000pts. One lucky shot and they're dead.

The only effective way to use GK Heroes, in my experience at least, is Deepstriking them. Put Teleport Homers on your Justicars and hope that you can use them to land the GK Hero & bodyguard on target. Marching them will just get them killed, and using a LR/LRC is far too expensive.

I'd vary the weapons on those Dreadnoughts. One Assault Cannon/DCCW combination would be useful there. And put a Missile Launcher on the remaining TLLC Dread so that it can stay at long range.

P.S.- If I deepstrike, can I move, shoot, then charge if in range?
    Read the rulebook. Deepstruck models cannot move into assault on the turn they land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Well bout everything has been stated above, but I'd also add a bit more DS squad and add TH's to them so everybody lands together in close proximity so you can get sweepin after a couple of turns and you don't have to worry much bout scatter, but keep in mind that the TH's only work after they've been at least one turn in play.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x2)

But isn't it still bad then? Waht if im playing IG with 2 demolisher tanks or something. After I deepstrike my hero and termies sit there for 1 turn and he bombs me with two 10str ap-2 ord. blasts. Is there any way to safely deepstrike without getting shot at? Also, what if I land in close combat? Don't they go straight there instead of dieing? How is the list looking now? I dropped the things you guys said to drop, add melta bombs to my termies so they could do a little anti-tank themselves, split up the termies and GKTs, made 3 squads of 8x GKs and gave one squad a rhino, added another dread and gave it an assault cannon, and gave both the original dreads T-L lascannons and missle launchers. Looking better?

Hq:
    Grandmaster - 145
    inc. Psycannon - 15

Elites:
    5x GKT squad - 245
    inc. meltabombs - 5

Troops:
    8x GK's - 200

8x GK's - 200
    inc. Rhino - 50
    inc. smoke launchers and extra armour - 6

Fast:
    8x GK's - 200

Heavy:
    GKD - 80
    inc. T-L lascannon - 50
    and Missle launcher - 40

GKD - 80
    inc. T-L lascannon
    and Missle Launcher - 40

GKD - 80
    inc. Assault Cannon

total = 1516
    Last edited by Emp.; May 24th, 2005 at 20:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Also, what if I land in close combat? Don't they go straight there instead of dieing?
    No - you cannot land them within 1" of an enemy model's base. If you try it, the models violating that rule are lost to the Warp. And if you land ON the enemy model, your guys are still dead.

Meltabombs are NOT legal items for models in Terminator armor, nor are they a squad upgrade.

You have a GK squad in a Rhino. That's illegal. Read your codex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast