Catachan XVIII 'Swamprats' Viability? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Catachan XVIII 'Swamprats' Viability?

I have to admit, I found the (free!) Catachan/Deathworld Veteran Codex in the latest Black Gobbo to be very interesting. The one peice that REALLY caught my eye was the blurb about the 'Swamprats', a regiment of Deathworld vets that spent seven years fighting a 'nid infestation and survived by actually covering themselves in the bodily fluids of their fallen foes to both cover their scent and build up an immunity to poisons.
    That is, without a doubt, one of the coolest damn things I have ever stumbled across.
    Having always toyed around with the possibility of a guard army to balance out my ork list (I came up with a 1500 pt list for an all infantry-based guard army. So sue me, it's the old waaagh mentality) I have to admit that looking at this codex really got my brain jumping. At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to build the army. I've got two choices.
    1) Make them using doctrines. Ones that would work include
    Ogryn (I need a restricted troop choice and, well, dem Catachans sure do like dem Ogryns)
    Hardened Fighters (Well, they ARE deathworld vets...)
    Jungle Fighters (duh)
    Warrior Weapons (? Ties in with the whole Catachan knife thing. I've got plenty of ork chainchoppas and machetes I could give them)
    Xeno-Fighters [Tyranids]
    OR
    2) Just use the friggen codex rules. I lose access to Xeno-fighters doctrine, but gain booby traps and some other cool effects (such as the ability to make a death-dealing veteran commander to run around with my squads as well as to ambush all those that oppose me).
    I'm currently leaning towards the second choice, personally. But that raises another question: How often do you guys, as guard players, actually play by jungle fighting rules? Would I end up being that one guy in the gameshop that constantly harps on about using jungle rules only to face a desolate table, completely lacking any sort of cover? Would this doom me to a one-trick pony army? Or would their special rules crop up often enough that I would always have a chance? Ambush and booby traps come to mind.
    Thoughts? Opinions? Abandon all hope and simply retreat back to my poor orks?

"Some days you're the Mekboy building the kannon, the rest you're the grot being blown up by it."
    - Quote attributed to Sorkrates, before his much mourned death due to ingestion of Hemsquig Juice.

"Dis iz my choppa, and herez me gun. Dat's for killin' and so'z dis one!"
    - Bloodaxe Kommando Warchant

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I am aware, the new free codex, as with the good old catachan codex, gives deathworld veterans their normal save outside of jungle. Just take one more look at your Imperial Guard codex and the Jungle Fighters doctine. Notice that penalty on the armour save. If you ever think that your army will leave the jungle, then there is no doubt that the second option is the better choice.
    The Imperial Guard is like a punchbag - No matter how hard you hit it, it'll always be ready for a fight.

Vcitory for the Imperial Guard comes about through the sacrifice of our men, not through the cowardly survival tricks of other armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet so many weapons are AP 5 anyway, the only time we would see it being used is against other guard, or Ork Shootas. Even then, 33% saving is nothing to write home about. The main reason to use these guys is if you really like Catachan Devils. Get Stracken, use these Devils as troops, and give each squad 3 Grenade Launchers (they are half cost for devils; +4 points) and a Missile Launcher, and watch the explosions fly.
    Last edited by MagicJuggler; May 26th, 2005 at 03:24.

+ Reply to Thread