anti-tank problem - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anti-tank problem

Hi, I play a custom chapter based around deep striking and assalt squads (man I love them )

Any way aside from the melta bombs I am sorly missing out on anti-tank power. The only other thing I could use as anti-tank is my dread but thats it.

I might be able to get something but I'm not sure what (no devastators plz, I just don't like them, doesn't fit my army)

"Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well then the answer my friend is DS landspeeders, either with the multi melta or the AC tornado variant. Tho problem with that is that they take up your fast attack slots. If you take the trait "blessed be thy warrior" you can have your assault squad in other slots leaving your fast attack slots for Landspeeders. Multi melta LS are often one shot weapons and are used solely to hunt tanks and armour. The LST is more broad but still has capacity to tank on armour, although this relys on you rolling 6's. Id prefer the LST because it can take on most things on a battle field.
    Ultramarines Second Company

W/L/D

1/2/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume that you are deep striking Tac squads as well? Give one or two of the squads a missile launcher, multimelta or Lascannon. Throw in the odd meltagun here and there. Termies with a cyclone launcher, assault cannon or chainfist. Give one of your characters a combi-melta. There are plenty of ways to add anti-tank capability without resorting to devastators.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

simple anti-tank support. Take a 5 man tactical squad and add a lasercannon. Rinse and Repeat as needed :cool: .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by bald inquisitor
    Hi, I play a custom chapter based around deep striking and assalt squads (man I love them )

Any way aside from the melta bombs I am sorly missing out on anti-tank power. The only other thing I could use as anti-tank is my dread but thats it.

I might be able to get something but I'm not sure what (no devastators plz, I just don't like them, doesn't fit my army)
    Grammar and spelling is your friend. Assault, not assalt. Sorely, not sorly. Please, not plz (cursed netspeak).

Well, it's rather unwise to dislike Devastators for no good reason. They are the most resiliant Heavy Support choice we have and should be taken advantage of. Many of our tanks die fast, and Land Raiders are way too expensive for normal-sized games. Land Speeders are great, but they will not stand up to any moderately heavy weapons fire for long. Close combat is awesome and all, but it tends to become a lot less fun when you go up an army that's better at it than you (Khornate Berzerkers and Orks quickly come to mind) or you come up against something you can't hit easily (Saim Hann Eldar, Mech Tau, and "mechanized" Dark Eldar come to mind). It's always good to have a back-up for your back-ups. A Devastator Squad of eight Marines with four missile launchers can tackle anything in the game, and tactical squads with a lascannon are great backups. The melta bombs in the Assault Squads are meant to be a back-up for the Tactical Squads.

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype
    signature pending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good devastator squad would be a good choice with a lascannon and a multi-melta. that would be a good choice.
    Bassist, music clan member, SM player turned Guard player

Imperial Guard
    w/d/l
    9/1/3

Space Marines
    W/D/L
    3/3/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

A good devastator squad would be a good choice with a lascannon and a multi-melta.
    He asked no devastators. They are the best option, but he doesn't like them.

that would be a good choice.
    You don't need to repeat youself like this.

As for the anti-tank question, with out devastators or battle tanks you have a few options, some of which have already been pointed out:
    Deep Striking Land Speeders with multi-meltas. Cheeper than Assault cannon ones, and more reliable.
    Tactical squads with Lascannon.
    Deepstriking tactical squads with a Multi-melta and a plasmagun/melta.
    Terminators with Cyclone Missile Launchers.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go for a predator annihilator w/lascannons all round.That gives you some damn good anti-armor.Though if it and you dread are the only vechiles on the board it will probably attract alot of firepower.Solve this by adding maybe one or two small tac squads with a lascannon in them so that way if it does get destoyed then atleast youll have them to fall back on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

What, all your army deepstrikes? So, no tanks? No Preds? Damn. Preds are my only form of heavy support. I always make sure to take at least two.

Land Speeders are your best bet. Problem is that they are obviously very weak, and taking three in a squad is conceivably foolish since one round of shooting can down an entire squad. Which means that to take more than one you'd have to either put them all in one squad and hope they don't get shot at or split them up and risk losing Assault squads. Do you follow? Read the Speeder tactica, can be found above titled "Swift Retribution of the Emperor" or something like that.

If you haven't got Blessed Be The Warriors and absolutely love your assault squads, get another Dread or give your tac squads meltaguns, which are in my opinion the best assault weapon in the game. And then it's melta-bombs all 'round.
    Last edited by ze_poodle; June 9th, 2005 at 14:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i reccommend a predator with lazcannon, there not super exspensive, and 13 armor is nothing to be laughed at, i have had the best luck this those, or attack bike with multimeta its nice to fricken speed up the field and pop stuff with multimetas, i recommend you give those a try and see how they work for you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast