DeamonHunters tactics agianst Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeamonHunters tactics agianst Tyranids

just wondering if anyone had any good tactics agianst tyranids, especially the new ones. Any wekness which can be taken advantage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what i've briefly read, a pure GK army would actually fare quite well against new tyranids. Since being assaulted doesn't matter so much to a true grit army, and the mass of anti-light infantry fire from stormbolters would chew up gaunts very badly. The only problem you would have would be with MCs, your GM would be the only one able to effectively slay them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justicars and termies could do the job, but of course plenty may likely be slain for it.

tame the masses with gun fire (hell guns really shine here. they smash gaunts and stealers pretty badly). if you want to mess up or delay the advance, take shots at synapse units (you can reach em, just leadership test for it). grenade launchers and flamer weapons are also nice to keep teh hordes under control (GL could also be used to take pot shots at some synapse). as for the big boys (tyrant and carnifex), you can effectively wound em with NFWs (not so much PAGKs, tho justicars can.)

one last thing. give everyone you can auspex. when he brings in a broodlord, you'll thank me for it. (allows the stealers to infiltrate again, along with FoF....)
    "One thing that intrigues people to fantasy is how different it is from reality. Make sure you remember that difference, and you'll have a wonderful time."

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorhnkurk
    one last thing. give everyone you can auspex. when he brings in a broodlord, you'll thank me for it. (allows the stealers to infiltrate again, along with FoF....)
    Genestealers that Infiltrate with the BroodLord may no longer Fleet of Claw. If the BL dies before the retinue, then they get the ability back.

I'm not sure what Auspexes are going to do for you against a BL and retinue. Don't they allow you to search for hidden units? Infiltrate doesn't hide the unit in question, LoS dictates how far or close the can set up. If they are setting up farther away than 12", that means that LoS is blocked to them, so unless an Auspex let's you shoot through walls or through area terrain, save your points for more guns/troops.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

As stated a pure GK army would work. But if you don't have the models for it I offer the following advice. GUNS GUNS and more GUNS! Get as many multi shot and template weapons as you can. Autocannons, h. bolters, missle launchers, grenade launchers, flamers, etc. These are your friends. SEt up a reasonable distance away from the horde. Target the faster ones first (hormogaunts and the like). Don't worry too much about the new carnies. There very slow, so you can afford to pretty much ignore them for a few turns. Shoot the hell out of them while they advance. When there close enough charge em' with the GK. After all, we all know it's better to charge than be charged. :cool:
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Incinerators. And Stormbolters. If you use Grey Knights, you shouldn't have many problems with Tyranids. In fact, the biggest problems are a) outnumbering and b) TMC's.

To deal with outnumbering, trim away everything unnecessary for fighting Nids. No Land Raiders or Crusaders are necessary, as the Nids will come to you (and have no tanks). Anti-Daemon gear is a waste, obviously. Just take template and quick firing weaponry.

To deal with TMC's, try Psycannons and GK Terminators.

Purgation squads are again useful here. Four Psycannons will likely be able to hurt TMC's just from weight of fire, and will absolutely destroy lesser Nids. Four Incinerators would be overkill, so I suggest keeping Incinerators confined to Troop & FA GK squads.

For non-GK Daemonhunters, use Inducted Guard. Lots of heavy bolters, and a few Missile Launchers (templates) & Autocannons (for the TMCs). Armored Fists give you a multilaser, heavy bolter (or heavy flamer), and heavy stubber, which will destroy basic Nids. The squad inside the AF's Chimera can take a Missile Launcher, which would rock vs both basic & monsterous Nids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gojiratoho
    Genestealers that Infiltrate with the BroodLord may no longer Fleet of Claw. If the BL dies before the retinue, then they get the ability back.

I'm not sure what Auspexes are going to do for you against a BL and retinue. Don't they allow you to search for hidden units? Infiltrate doesn't hide the unit in question, LoS dictates how far or close the can set up. If they are setting up farther away than 12", that means that LoS is blocked to them, so unless an Auspex let's you shoot through walls or through area terrain, save your points for more guns/troops.
    auspex allows u to shoot down the infiltrators if they're close enough (roll 4d6"). considering what it can do to genestealers before they can lift a finger, i'd rather force them into a long and awkward spot with auspex rather than giving him the chance to take a charge at me at the first turn.... plus, chances are you have a small overall tally of units that can carry it, so i think u can fit in 10 points altogether.
    "One thing that intrigues people to fantasy is how different it is from reality. Make sure you remember that difference, and you'll have a wonderful time."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deathwatch are leagal in deamonhunters, so sould i take one of them and if so a captian or a librarian in charge of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deathwatch are overrated imo. If you just want a quick cheap source of heavy bolters, take an elite inquisitor with 3 heavy bolter servitors, and give him a psycannon. The hellfire round is great, but I think that deathwatch have no place in a DH army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Another negative mark against Deathwatch is the upcoming release of the Alien Hunters. All signs point toward a remake of the Deathwatch for that codex, so I personally wouldn't try and make them now - new models and rules are coming. Granted, the Alien Hunter book has been pushed back for a while now, so...

Inquisitor squads with 2-3 Heavy Bolters and 0-1 Plasma Cannon, with an Inquisitor carrying Auspex (and a Psycannon if you have the points free) are also great, as Gavinrad just mentioned. And they're another unit you can buy a Chimera for - don't drive them around, just use the unit & the transport as two seperate shooty units! Two Sages are almost mandatory if you have the Plasma Cannon, and a Mystic never hurt anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast