Tactical squads... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical squads...

Whats the 'standard' method of employing tactical squads? I'm guessing that it has something to do with rhinos and the occasional HQ choice leading a squad, but i want to get a feel for what the most common use for them is. And this is for your average marine army, blood angels and spacewolves need not respond, i already know your answers...

For the record this is a sort of intelligence gathering sessions for me, i only feild scouts (and how many times have i said that now?) so in all honesty I'm looking for what to expect from your typical marine player and then looking for ways to defeat them with scouts.

Thus far a rhino rushing tac-squads forward tends to be lethal, i know it depends on specifics of each game but it feels like if you don't get the jump on them, then they will get you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole idea behind tactical squads is that they can do just about anything. They are armed with medium range weapons so they're going to want to engage in firefights at under 24". Beyond that usually if you look at the squad's special weapon you can get an idea of what it will be used for.
    "Don't Delay-The best is the enemy of the good. By this I mean that a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week. War is a very simple thing, and the determining characteristics are self-confidence, speed, and audacity. None of these things can ever be perfect, but they can be good."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Hmm... I dunno... Never thought of this before...

IMO I believe swarming could be a way to go... Your scouts cost less than a tactical marine so you can afford more...

Maybe that's an idea... I dunno...
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhinos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thus far a rhino rushing tac-squads forward tends to be lethal, i know it depends on specifics of each game but it feels like if you don't get the jump on them, then they will get you.
    I would suggest setting up a two line defense. Have the first line in difficult terrain in cover (with several inches of difficult terrain between your opponent and you). This will slow down their advance and if they do not have frag grenades you will hit first in hth. (and I believe with the new hth rules they will have to think more carefully about shooting or assaulting instead of doing both and tearing you up) Then have a second line with your reinforced squads (the one's with veteran sergeants with power weapons, and led by the command squad in the Razorback with that captain of yours...), which can counter charge. This second line could be a little more off to the sides so you can come in from their flanks and get more people into base to base. Your shooty squads (the sniper squads with autocannons and stuff) would be in various advantageous firing positions to pick off advancing troops.

Beyond that I would say just keep your squads big and don't be afraid to tool up your sargeants with vet. status and power weapons (which I know you aren't, but I figured I would throw it in). And if worst comes to worst, you could always get a Grey Knights terminator squad and keep them in reserve to teleport in when things go south... :twisted:
    "Don't Delay-The best is the enemy of the good. By this I mean that a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week. War is a very simple thing, and the determining characteristics are self-confidence, speed, and audacity. None of these things can ever be perfect, but they can be good."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you have gray knights terminators than in a sm army???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope... only sm army I suppose, if u read the daemon hunters codex...

with tac squads, pop them in rhinos, then disembark b4 ur foe's turn, or else they can't assault right? Block LOS with ur rhino, next turn, go with them, shoot and assault!

As far as I know, Gray knights terms aren't out yet, and they cost a fortune... ;(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

They're out already (at least at my local shop) but as you said can't be taken as allies for another SM army. As for defending against rhino-rushing, use the cover and difficult terrain like LRseries said. Hopefully he won't make it to h2h, and then you can charge him in turn with some close combat scouts. Who cares if your armour is a little less strong, the rest is equal plus you get 3 attacks per model (scouts with bp+ccw charging)! What I do with my IW troops squads (those similar to tac squads that is) is either hold back a little or move forward to get within rapid fire range (only against armies weak in assault), I then shoot with bolters and a heavy bolter, plus sometimes a plasma gun. They're for softening up the enemy a little before the big guns knock him out.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey knights terms

They're out already (at least at my local shop) but as you said can't be taken as allies for another SM army.
    wish I were in the UK... :evil:

allies for another SM army? or do u mean other army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but as you said can't be taken as allies for another SM army.
    When I read the codex I was under impression that you could field GK in a SM army as allies, but not have inducted SM in a Daemonhunter Army if you Field GK.

The only place I have seen this thing is in the rules for inducted SM, and there is no rules saying you can't field SM and GK together when using DH as allies to an imperial army (the box on page 21)

Besides take a look at the army example picture on page 33, it shows a Ultramarine army with GK
    Master Belial

'But for corruption thou hast made Belial, an angel of hostility. All his dominions are in darkness, and his purpose is to bring about wickedness and guilt. All the spirits that are associated with him are but angels of destruction.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast