Why Does Everyone Hate Ogryns? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Why Does Everyone Hate Ogryns?

As the title says, why does everyone seem to hate these poor guys?
    Could somebody please explain this to me? Maybe I am missing something.

In my opinion they are really good and I am adding a squad of them to my army as soon as I can. They have decent stats, aren't that expensive considering what they get, and have multiple wounds. Their weapon is good considering their role as assault units and giving a bone 'ead a storm bolter will boost them even more.

The squad I wish to add is 6 Ogryns strong and (as per the Mechanised doctrine) Mounted in a Chimera, and I'm pretty sure they will do good at assaulting the enemy.

Anyways, tell me what you guys(and girls ) think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

With T4 and all those points, There a not worth it IMHO. They would be better if they were T5, then they wouldn't get their toughness doubled all the time by Marine power fists.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Ogryns are really good units if you get them into CC. However, getting them into CC is hard as hell. If they walk, you've got them out in the open for a few turns. So, that leaves them open too all sorts of fire-and almost every single weapon is AP5. And, even if they aren't, a 5+ save is NOTHING to count on. So, they can easily get gunned down before they even get into CC. Second, they take up an Elites slot. Storm Troopers AND Hardened Veterans are both way more effective units to take.
    Third, they're stupidly expensive to aqquire. At $20 CDN (I think), a 6-man squad can run you upwards of $120, plus tax. For the same price, I can get two Leman Russes. Which is a much better investment, point and money-wise.
    Fourth, like everybody says, a Grey Knight costs 25 points, too. However, a Grey Knight can soak up a lot more hits, fights almost as well in CC, have better moralel, much better guns, can Deep Strike, if taken as Fast Attack, cost less to buy, and just look way cooler.
    So, Ogryns aren't worth it. They're like Krootoxes-nice on paper, not on the board.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, what would be fun would be if they allowed Ogryns Carapace Armor (Feral Platemail) or gave the Bone'ead the ability to take a Power Weapon...but I digress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I plan on using converted Ogres for my Ogryns, so the cost should be considerabley lower for 8(4 lead bealchers per box). As for moving them up the field that will be easy, as they will be mounted in a Chimera and supported by another squad of IG.

I do, however, see your point about GKs. The Storm Bolter and Force Weapons are much beter then a Ripper Gun could ever hope to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Ok...this is weird. Tomjoad's post keeps moving down the page.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Grey Knights are (in most people's opinions) better. Grey Knights don't take a doctrine slot. Grey Knights cost the same number of points.

I don't think Ogryns suck, I just think GK are better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadside_Pilot
    Ok...this is weird. Tomjoad's post keeps moving down the page.
    Ya, I don't know whats wrong...I've been having alot of technicaly dificulties with LO for the past few hours. Couldn't even post until a while back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandhi
    I plan on using converted Ogres for my Ogryns, so the cost should be considerabley lower for 8(4 lead bealchers per box).
    Good thing I saw an article in Black Gobbo recently that would help those who don't want to pay $120 for a squad of Ogryns. I'll put the link to the article below.

Ogryns made cheap!

Better price tag than the Ogryns, but not as low as Grey Knights. Still, the Warhammer Fantasy range proves to be a blessing from the Emperor for the Imperial Guard.

By the way Gandhi, I think you should take a look at the Ogryn-proof rule. An ordinary NFW isn't even a power weapon on an ordinary GK, and it hits at the same strength as an Ogryn with a Ripper Gun.

If you want to use Ogryns, don't let anyone here stop you. It's your army, therefore it's your call in the end. If you want to hack up Leadbelchers and convert them into Ogryns, do it.

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype
    signature pending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I used to want ogryns. But I think they'll just get cut up by shooting, fail a ld test, and run. So I don't like them anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast