Black Templar Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Templar Questions

After doing a little reading up on Black Templars, I think I've fallen in love. They remind me very much of DaemonHunters and WitchHunters, who I love, without needing 8 pages of special rules and overcomplicated wargear. And, dear Emporer, the colour scheme! *Drool*

I do, however, have a few questions.

Why would you give neophytes shotguns? An extra lower strength, lower AP shot doesn't seem worth losing an extra close combat attack. Am I wrong here?

There seem to be a lot of advantages to playing a Black Templar army, and not many weaknesses. What am I missing here?

Next, every army list I've seen exclusively uses bolt pistol & CCW for their initiates. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put in a squad or two with bolters, heavy bolter/missile launcher, and a plasma gun to provide covering fire when fighting armies like 'nids and orks? We're still space marines, after all, shouldn't we be able to cater to our enemies weakness by making their close combat units wade through bolter fire?

And one last purely model question: What can be made with a combat squad box? It's one of the ones GW's online store won't show me the sprues for, and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to put together two 10 initiate squads.

Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post, and for any answers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wrath of Chosin, currently beseiging Trathnor III
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. Shotguns don't seem wise to me, but I guess they have their uses. And, we do have disadvantages: First off, the ulltimate fire support squad, scouts with sniper rifles, are unavailable, and we HAVE to take vows. Although a good thing in many situations, the fact that we can't to fall back due to combat resolution can turn against us. And, if you look at the unit entries, you'll notice that we don't get sergeants, and therefore no hidden powerfists. However, assault squads can take two, so that kinda sorta makes up for it.I haven't looked at many BT lists, but I do know the army shown in Codex: Armageddon has a squad w/bolters. My personal army list does, as a fire support squad. If you throw in a whirlwind, that's all the fire suport you need, really. The spirit of the BT isn't to cower while throwing firepower at th advancing enemy!!! We must run to meet them, and crush them! Even if crushing involves a Vindicator. And maybe a LRC. If you need a CC-rigged tac squad, get a boxed-set of Space Wolf Blood Claws. You don't HAVE to use the extra wolfy bits, you know.
    I need the bugger so I can see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.... that helped me too as I am a BT player... And i did need some more CC squads.... hmmmm

Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Don't give neophytes shotguns. They are the only thing in the SM armoury that I count as completely useless (2nd Ed was another matter). The general consensus whenever someone starts a thread about why they are in there is that it was simply so people could field their Shotgun Scout models.

Weaknesses:
    No Sergeants, as BolterSmoke pointed out.
    No Librarians (They are much better now).
    Must take the EC (Maybe not a disadvantage as such, but definitely a restriction).
    No allies with any Psychic Abilities (I think).
    Sometimes running towards the squad which just shot you to hell and back isn't exactly the best tactic.

I am not qualified to answer your next question.

The Combat Squad contains 5 Marines with Bolters. And go with theBlood Claws as BolterSmoke suggested. Linky

This is not even close to the longest post I've read through. This Is
    Last edited by Corianis; July 1st, 2005 at 00:41.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Wrath of Chosin, currently beseiging Trathnor III
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The definite downside to having no sergeants is that the Blood Claws set comes with the bitz to make a powerfist sarg.... and he would look so cool with the topknot head!!!
    I need the bugger so I can see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your responses, guys. Muchly appreciated.

The Blood Claws box looks perfect. For el cheapo Neophytes, I might just leave off the backpack and shoulder plates. It's enough to tell them apart, and a goodly deal cheaper than buying a scout box set. Of course, they probably wouldn't let that into tournaments, but if I get that serious I'll just buy the proper units. I can always slap the bits back on to upgrade them to Initiates.

I suppose one extra attack from a PF sergeant is worth 15 points when you're facing big beasties, but I kind of like being able to sneak the PF in there without needing him and having enough points for another Initiate. At least the sprue in the box set won't go to waste. Is it really that big of a difference?

For CC heavy armies, I still like the idea of hiding an assault squad behind the ranged squad to soften them up, and then counter-assaulting the inevitable charge. Seems like a particularly good idea against 'nids; I don't see a footslogging unit ever getting the drop on them unless something else already has them tied up. I suppose I'll have to wait and see if it holds up in the field.

This, of course, assumes that I get off my arse and actually build the army. Oh, how I hate modelling, and oh how I love pretty models. *Sigh*
    Last edited by Redtwin; July 1st, 2005 at 08:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Corianis
    Weaknesses:
    No Sergeants, as BolterSmoke pointed out.
    No Librarians (They are much better now).
    Must take the EC (Maybe not a disadvantage as such, but definitely a restriction).
    No allies with any Psychic Abilities (I think).
    Sometimes running towards the squad which just shot you to hell and back isn't exactly the best tactic.
    Did you just say Black Templars cannot take Librarians!? If so that's great news! My usual BT opponent keeps yapping on about getting a 10A Force Weapon Librarian. Please confirm they cannot take librarians. :cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierced53
    Did you just say Black Templars cannot take Librarians!? If so that's great news! My usual BT opponent keeps yapping on about getting a 10A Force Weapon Librarian. Please confirm they cannot take librarians. :cool:
    Black Templars hate psykers, so they don't get access to Librarians. Hell, they even have a special vow that gives them a free compulsory movement towards the enemy before the game starts if there's a psyker on the table. Codex: Armageddon should answer your questions. Ask this cheater to show him exactly where in his codex it indicates his Templars can take a Librarian.

On a side note, the Librarian can only get a maximum of 9 attacks on the charge, and if he does get those nine attacks his force weapon cannot insta-kill. The only exeption is if he's attached to a Reclusiam Command Squad containing a Holy Relic, and that only happens once a game.

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype
    signature pending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

I think he thinks if its in the SM Codex he can use it. :rolleyes:
    He's a real stubborn kid so won't believe me even if I do prove it, but thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype

..and if he does get those nine attacks his force weapon cannot insta-kill.
    Um.. Why? -Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierced53
    Um.. Why? -Thanks.
    Only 1 major power per turn
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast