Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Like the thread title says, if you could change something in the IG codex what would that be? Would you like to see a doctrine added, a new type of unit or perhaps the return of an old one?
First, I would like to include some of the Chapter Approved options for an IG army, such as Autocannon Chimera turrets, I've always wondered why they aren't stated as an option in the Codex. (Secondly, could anyone point me toward where to find these rules? I'd like a rulebook to back up my claim should anyone question it while I'm playing.)
Adding the Leman Russ Conqueror, Vanquisher and Exterminators into the codex wouldn't hurt either. They would add some more versatility to an IG list and even though I'm sure you can use these in most games if someone is being an arse you could always hit him with your codex and point out how wrong he is.
Next. Advisors. Neither of there are used for other than fluffreasons. I'm sure that everyone here agrees that the Sactioned Psyker isn't worth his points 9/10 games(if that). Same with the Priest. An unit that forces you to assault with your Command Squads? I'd rather throw some other squad at my enemy and have the Command Squad provide leadership for the rest of the army for a turn or two longer. A (guard) CC unit isn't of much use in an squad you'll probably want to hide.
Commisars aren't that bad, at my club there was a DH player that said that Commisars was probably the coolest thing in all of 40k. Perhaps not the coolest if you ask me, but defenetly top 3.
I've been reading what's been posted at this board for almost six months now and it seems to me that most people belive that Commisars aren't worth their points either. So I'd like to see Commisars lowered to 25-30p. I don't know how to Improve priests without conflicting with their fluff, perhaps an Independed Priests doctrine like the Independant Commisars one? Psykers on the other hand, I've heard it suggested that they should be able to select their power, but I don't agree with that. Lowering them to 9 points would perhaps make them more common on the battlefield.
My last idea can be found in the Rules Development forum, a custom doctrine I have been working on just for the fun of it. It's called Doctrine: Hovercraft squadrons (Imperial Guard Doctrine: Hovercraft Squadrons) and gives the IG a new unit that replaces Sentinels as a Fast attack choice. I'd still like some more comments on those. I haven't gotten any suggestions form people I know play IG and I'd appreciate your opinions on them.
id make new ogryn models first off....second MORTARS...right now i dont find them of much use at all...
id prob. give the IG a good (for IG anyway) counterassault squad made of gaurdsmen....i knwo a lot of people use their command squads for this but id make sense if guard had a squad or two like this...something like a guard version of veteran space marines....that can have some hidden powerfists and Maybe furious assault but of teh most part isnt too much better than average guard..(seeing as GW will never make an uber counter assault squad for gaurd)
i like the new techpreist model but its always seemd to me that something about him is missing and i dont know what....so i guess id like to see him tinkered with.
also rough riders should be able to have a mix of lances/no lances in the squad... and i think sentinals and chimeras could use a touch up....
finally i think there are a few of the doctrines which are either pointless or too overpriced to be any use...changing those would help
however overall i dont really find that many big problems with guard and their new codex is uber sweet, i think it just needs a few tweaks here and there as opposed to a major overhall
Chimera autocannon turrets are in Imperial Armor 1. As for changes....
More of the Forgeworld tanks definitely should have made it into the Codex, especially the Exterminator. I don't really care for the Conqueror now that ordance is mobile, but Exterminators are great, and the Vanquisher is useful. No way the Space Marines should have more Heavy Support tank options than the Guard. That's just un-Constitutional. :p
* Make mortars useful. Strength 5 or AP 5 would do it in my opinion, but Str 4 and AP 6 blows.
* More doctrines. Not sure for what, but more options are always cool.
* Some kind of Fast Attack light tank (like a half-track scout) that can be fielded in squadrons. I love the Salamander Scout Tank (for its look and mobility more than anything else), but its hard to choose one of them rather than a Hellhound. A Fast, lighter-armed tank analogous to a SM Land Speeder, along those lines. A faster sentinel, something.
* A cheaper alternative to the Chimera. Could be something like a half-track that isn't fully enclosed, a truck, whatever. Something that might make Mechanized armies more feasible.
* And make Ogryns not suck. Give them toughness 5 so they don't get slapped around so much despite their 3 wounds. Right now I don't have much incentive to look beyond Hardened Vets, deep striking Storm Troopers, and maybe the occasional Ratling Sniper squad.
That's it off the top of my head. And yes, I acknowledge I'm heavily influenced by WWII. I like the look of the German Panzers and Panzer-Grenadiers, and it would be cool to be able to build a force closer to those lines.
My Christmas list is:
1> Upgrade the Chimera to side armor 11, even add a few points. I hate getting rapid fired by bolters and blown up!
2> Make Commissars 3 wounds like they used to, and have three attacks. Then they would be worth the points.
3> Make Hellguns S4, or give Stormtroopers bolters.
4> Give Stormtroopers I4, they are better trained and should be faster.
5> Let our transports carry more than one smoke launcher.
6> Make a new sniper elite choice, like the old Catachans ones, that lets you re-roll wounds, and give +1 cover save.
7> Make Ogryns T5, so they can't be doubled as easily. If you have to make S5.
I'll add more later.
Last edited by Diggums Hammer; July 11th, 2005 at 01:21.
"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
Sir Winston Churchil
1. the forge world tanks should defintly included. they are in the armored company chap approved
2. let heavy stubbers be a special weaps choice(the eye of terror traitor legin had em)
3. need more weaponry
4. shot gun needs to be template weapon
5 agree the chimera needs side armor 11
6.agree there needs to be more than the chimera as a transport
7. needs to be a tank like char b(turret autocannon with hull mounted demolisher?)
8. storm troopers need bolters.or maybe storm bolters:shifty:
9.imperial assualt buggy cause the sentianl sux
10. power armor in armory
11.pintle mounted grenade launchers
12.more than 4 heavy support choices
13. bikes!! here is another cool link
14. reaper autocannons(just an twin linked ac with 36 inchs
15.more paint jobs
16.not as much promotion on the cadians part.Damn cadians :mad:
1) Bring back the exterminator. It was a glorious tank, the bane of horde armies, and provided us with real moving heavy support.
2) Have to agree with bikes. I've thought about making some of my own before. It just seems stupid that an army as vast as the Imperial Guard cant get hold of bikes. Not even a humble motorbike.
3) Ogryns T5. Or give them access to power weapons.... Mmmmm....power weapons....
4) Completely redo psykers. Make them more points, and give them worthwhile powers. Not battle powers, but powers that affect squads. Enhance leadership, reroll shooting, extra initative, that kinda thing.
5) A second HQ choice, so we dont have to fill it with a special character.
6) Make Mortars worth our time.
7) Techpriests can repair vehicles as soon as they come into contact with a tank. They dont have to start the turn in contact.
8 ) Get rid of the forceweapon. I highly doubt the Imperium would ever bother equipping a useless Sanctioned Psyker with a weapon as powerful as that.
9) A new fast unit. Kaisers Hovercraft Squadrons are a nice idea for this.
The Imperial Guard is like a punchbag - No matter how hard you hit it, it'll always be ready for a fight.
Vcitory for the Imperial Guard comes about through the sacrifice of our men, not through the cowardly survival tricks of other armies.
Simply allow any officer to a power fist, that restirction did not make much sense.
All the imperial armoury vehicules won't be allowed in sanctioned tournaments.
If ogryns would get T5, they would have 2Ws instead.
The shotgun needs to be redone, with the current rapid fire rules they're completely useless. Storm bolters as a special weapon choice would be interesting though I'd prefer the heavy stubber. And I'm backing masakari_commander's ideas, they're good. Ability to choose something like heavy artillery using edited orbital strike rules and/or preliminary bombardment rules. A doctrine that let's you use the scouts rule.
Veni Vidi Variant
I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.
The spikey ones go faster.
98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.
Saga of the Ages. Click it.
Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.
1. Chimeras with AV 12/11/10 +5 or 10 points
2. a Half track transport with AV 11/10/10
3. bring the exterminator and griffon back
4. LR vainquisher
5. how about a real medium tank (aka sherman 76mm), AV 13/11/10, Turret missile launcher, 2 heavy bolters (Yeah, I know, it looks like a predator)
6. shotguns are useless
7. hellguns are useless
8. DON'T allow too much CC goodies (ogryns with power weapons??!?! Sorry, but no)
9. remind IG players that imperial riders are a GREAT counter charge unit :p
10. plastic valhallans
11. I liked the hellhound better before, it was more fun!
I only want 2 things for IG:
1) The Vanquisher, Conqueror and Exterminator to be in the codex.
2) Plastic Kaskrins. I LOVE the sculpts, but they are incredably hard to covert, and I hate painting metals.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.
Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.