Does anybody use mortars? And if so how do you use them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody use mortars? And if so how do you use them?

I like using a mortar squad in my HQ. At the start of the game I rush them behind whatever cover is available and aim for the enemy infantry.

My blast template of S10 AP2 will toast all terminators.

Iron Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

A friend of mine are a great fan of mortars too, and he always stuffs his HQ squad full of them. So far, in the 3 battles we have had, he have not gotten a single kill with them. Maybe hes just too bad at using them, but from my point of view, they are next to worthless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

If you are going to keep your HQ safely behind cover to wave thier flag and shout down thier vox then mortars are a good harassment and comparativly cheap.

However thier measly strength, tendancy to scatter and high ap do not recomend them. Especialy when compared to the Eldar "Mortar" the shadow weaver with 2 greater strength or the D-Cannon.

I wouldnt say dont get them though, they are more annoying than they should be.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

The only place they're useful, aside from really, really dense terrain boards, is in your command squad, at the back, behind cover, lobbing away.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

With their small template and low strength, mortars are pretty much useless.

I always field a squad...

Why?
    Not too expensive
    I have so many other units that I would have a hard time finding a good firing position for another HW squad. Mortars are deployed at the back and shoot without LOS
    You never know next time they will blast away a tau leader, eldar ordnance, or whatever like that
    they have the pinning rule.

The fact of the matter is that they are completely useless against power armor (i.e. 60% of armies), but can be ok against other opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by AKM
    With their small template and low strength, mortars are pretty much useless.

I always field a squad...

Why?
    Not too expensive
    I have so many other units that I would have a hard time finding a good firing position for another HW squad. Mortars are deployed at the back and shoot without LOS
    You never know next time they will blast away a tau leader, eldar ordnance, or whatever like that
    they have the pinning rule.

The fact of the matter is that they are completely useless against power armor (i.e. 60% of armies), but can be ok against other opponents.
    Pinning isn't to brilliant as the majority of armies are Ld 8+ with re-rolls or fearless.
    Ap6 means even Guard get saves...

In command squads fine but as heavy weapons...get a Basalisk.
    (except the boards we play in are only 48" long so your opponent gets within minimum range far too quickly).
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

i find the best way to use mortars is in command squads (not mortar squads). this is because they're cheaper, the squad should be behind cover anyways (unless you're not using command squads for Ld), and if you divide up your mortars into mutliple squads you increase your odds of getting a direct hit.

yeah they're not the best against MEQ (and are worthless against necron), but they'll suprise you and your enemy. and they're great in patrol games where virtually no one has indirect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

The smaller point games you play, the better mortars get. At around 1000, they start becoming minimally usefull, but at 500 the can actually be quite nice. I would still probably prefer a squad of heavy bolters over mortars at 500 points, but I would be willing to give them a try.

At larger point games, however, they are mostly crap. As one person stated, most armies have stuff that can easily get around pinning (Which is one of those things I wish GW would go back and revise) so they aren't incredible. Not to mention, the worst part is anything with an SM save will usually save against them, and even if they fail their save, they will usually make their Ld. test for pinning.

If you REALLY wanna pin SM's, then take a couple of Basilisk's. That will put the fear of god into anything on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of them is the only recommendation I think that works, I put them in all my command squads and have (or at least try) to have overlaping fire arcs with all or the majority of them. Then just keep pounding one unit until it pins then move on to the next, I also use a griffon to complement the little fellas though.
    Its a hit and miss weapon though some games it works and others it doesn't (usually better against non-marine armies, so maybe 1 or 2 guys in the country )
    But as I said the more the better, but I think a mortar battery is a waste of points at 80. Maybe with a Infiltate Veteren Squad with Plasmas so when the Marines come to flush you out (presuming your on the other side of some cover) Jump into the cover and make em eat 3 rapid fire plasma guns and a Plasma Pistol

Jez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give my HQ and other JO a mortar.
    why?
    1) So I can hide my officers so they can not be targeted and my officers are there for morale.
    2) They are cheap
    3) they can fire indirect
    4) I can target anything in 12 to 48 inches
    5)They can cause a pinned
    6) last to give my officers something other than keeping the morale up.
    bonekrusher

PS
    They are not that effective but once in while help pinned a unit down .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast