Ratlings and Orgryns arent they outlawed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ratlings and Orgryns arent they outlawed?

I was reading on some fluff and I found out that after the Horrus Heresy the use of mutants was outlawed my the Imperium, but then why is there mutants within the Imperial Guard Army?

The Predator Lingers forth. Suddenly the sound of several wipping sounds can be heard far off into the distance, a second later the once mighty Predator ignited with flames. "Sir what was that" The srgt replied "Its those damn Broadsides"

Hear the wip, fear the Broadside.
    Tau 2-2
    Guard 26-45

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

There is a phrase that Ogryn and Ratling alike learn as soon as they can talk
    "Acceptable Deviation"
    what it comes down to is that technically they could still be classified as human under middle ground guidelines, (ie two arms, two legs, one head, 10 fingers, 10 toes, no unusual growths) they are just at the outer limits of acceptable deviation.
    Of course, some planets/cultures/militaries are less forgiving and do not class them as human, and therefore do not deal with them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

They're allowed because all human armies must have ogres and halflings.. It's just a general all encompassing rule

And they have models for them so might as well have rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they really don't fit the flavor of IG though, ratlings is pushing it, and Ogryns is just rediculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a whole thread on abhuman doctrines titled "Abhuman Doctrines!"
    *Fart* "Keep talking sir, we'll find you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by panzerjeager
    There's a whole thread on abhuman doctrines titled "Abhuman Doctrines!"

Haha, excellent point Panzer. I dont use "Abhumans" in my Guard armies, but they are certainly legal.
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring on the hobbits. Oops. Sorry. Wrong game. But basically, it is as Kirasu said. GW feel the undying urge to include these things in their games, because, warhammer + 40k are so heavily based on Lord of the Rings. Warhammer more than 40k, but if you start to look closely, they are very similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I don't want to offend any members who have already posted, I just want to offer a counterpoint.

I honestly do not think that Ratlings and Ogryn are "pushing it" or "ridiculous" as was posted earlier. I don't even think that they would be outlawed by the Imperium or hunted down.

Theres a good reason for this too:

Ratlings and Ogryn ARE genetically based on human DNA. They are merely a non-chaos taint of mutation that have been with the Imperium for CENTURIES. If you know how far back Ratlings and Ogryn go, then you'll know that they were both part of Imperium forces (Correct me if I'm wrong Fluff Masters ) since before the Horus Heresy.

In any case, Ratlings, and I think even Ogryn, have been with 40k since it's inception back in the 80's, which was when this old fart started playing. This was actually quite some time before Inquisitors developed the "hunt the impure" mindset. In all actuality, burninating (as one member puts it) all things that are mutants or xenos is actually a more "recent" mindset of the IG.

During 40k's formative years there were a near plethora of creatures that the IG and SM's could add to their ranks and not all of these were considered evil. Just as our army lists have changed over time, so have the attitudes of those who are in control over the Imperium.

Lastly, just so everyone knows, I quite enjoy the "Purge the Heretic and Xenos" mindset of the Imperium because it puts them in a grey area instead of making them out to be lily white good guys. In fact, there really aren't any good guys in 40k, which is why it has so much popular appeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, that's a really nice avatar. And they look like Russian hookers, too.

The older codex talks about Ratlings, Ogryns, Squats (demiurg), Imperial Beastmen and some "centaur like" creature being sanctioned due to the race coming from a high or low gravity world, or a world which required humanity to adapt to a particular enviroment; an evolution of sorts. The centaurs were wiped out, the beastmen mostly went to chaos or were wiped out, the squats cloaked their whole planet(s), so what you have left is Ratlings (home planet ravaged by Abbadon himself) and Ogryns (From higher gravity worlds apparently.)

You could argue the Tau as being "good guys," but in a Space Marxist sort of way. (Adeptus Communust, heh, heh.)
    *Fart* "Keep talking sir, we'll find you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the centaur things, how does increased gravity almost turn you into a horse?

Anyway, i don't really think that ratlings and ogryns breach ig fluff because they aren't chaotic mutations.
    They shall be my Imperial Guard and they shall know some fear...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast