Are Landraiders Worth the pts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Landraiders Worth the pts?

I Have been fighting a lot of IG, and latley i have been taking a land raider. sometinmes it kills and kills and sometimes it geets eaten be lascannons. so is it worth the pts?

One Shot, One Kill

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really, unless you use it to transport deathwing terminators. Necron will love to play against you and nids will cry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

It very much depends on what pointage of game your playing.

In my opinion, unless you have a reason, you shouldn't really be taking it in 1.5k or less.
    in 2k, maybe, depending on the army your facing and what tactic you might want to employ.

To be quite honest, Im one for using the points to take two Preds myself, armed with with TL lascannons OR Autocannon, with Hvy.Bolter Sponsons.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I like to use a Land Radier mainly because it looks so cool and intimidating, it is also a good fire magnet and the best way to get your assault termies where they belong.
    However, compared to the Monolith it is badly spent pts... darn Necrons.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but then again the landraider model is so cool!! i use it against everything in 1750+

but last tuesday i remember me and a friend were having a SM vs SM and the first turn he makes my landraider explode and in my turn i blew up his land raider ;D it is fun to destroy your oponents LR but i hate it when mine is!!

IMO the LRC is the way to go!! +15 pts for frag grenades the turn they charge out of the LRC, "built int extra armpour, larger transport capacity, twin linked ass cannon!! <3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toastee
    It very much depends on what pointage of game your playing.

In my opinion, unless you have a reason, you shouldn't really be taking it in 1.5k or less.
    in 2k, maybe, depending on the army your facing and what tactic you might want to employ.

To be quite honest, Im one for using the points to take two Preds myself, armed with with TL lascannons OR Autocannon, with Hvy.Bolter Sponsons.
    Yep thats exactly my thought on this topic and agree entirely with what Toastee mentioned.
    Cheers,
    Tycho

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Heres my take on this:

Do you have FUN playing with the Land Raider?

If you do, use it! The worst that can happen is you lose!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

To put it simply, most answers you will get to this question are subjective (as opposed to objective).

Young and new players see LRs and go WOW! they get "Toys for the boys" Sysndrom and get one.

Older, more experianced heads are less inclined, they identify landraiders as a riskey stratergy, reasoning being:

Landraiders are powerful - they can take hits and they can keep dishing it out, but you pay for it, (points) and it is a single mini, which, against an experianced opponent, can be dealt with with a single shot

The risk dimishes as the size of your army goes up (in 1000 points you risk loosing 1/4 of your army, however in 3000 points, it is only 1/12) so generally, you will get comments like Toastees.

Equally it depends on your opponents army as to how risky it is, pretty much anything, including the standard troop sidearm in a necron army can take down an LR, so the risk is higher

But there are counter arguements, typically death wing commanders will have an LR or an LRC weather they use it or not.

So take your pick, personnaly I am with Toastee, in 1500 points, unless I am using my deathwing, then no, I would rather have pred anihs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine

So take your pick, personnaly I am with Toastee, in 1500 points, unless I am using my deathwing, then no, I would rather have pred anihs
    I agree Predator Anhialators or Devastator Squads provide more bang for your buck.

The main Problem I have with the LR is that as a Transport and a MBT if you use it either way you do not fully utilise its abilities. From this perspective the LRC is superior, a pure transport wth defensive weapons.

However for 1/4 of 1000pts is alot for an armour 14 vehicle, a Russ costs up to 75pts less has the same armour on the front and a decent splatty gun.

A Chaos Predator Anhialator with TLLC, sponson LC and mutated hull has the same armour and more firepower for again 75pts less.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mostly fight IG in 1500pt-2000pt games, and I sit back and shoot its lascannons at the Leman Russes.
    One Shot, One Kill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast