Tactica - Infantry Armies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Tactica - Infantry Armies

I wrote this tactica in response to the many times I have seen topics inquiring about the usefulness or capabilities of an all infantry army as opposed to a list that contains armor.

I wrote this tactica in the voice of the commander of my armies, and therefore it does not contain specific stats, but explains how to use this type of army from an Imperial Guard Commander's point of view.

Enjoy:

Thought for the day
    It is said that Lord Solar Macharius wept tears when he reached the edge of the Halo Zone, for he saw there were no worlds left to conquer.

Imperial Guard Infantry Armies

During my two year tenure at Librarium Online I have been honored to command some of the best troops in the Imperium and I have lead many of these troops to victory with the Emperors name on their lips.

Having said this, there have been many instances where my forces were depleted so badly that I had no tanks to throw at the enemy, and other instances where no tanks were available for requisition. It is Imperative, then, that all of the General Officers in my force learn how to do battle without the hammer of the Imperium and rely on its greatest asset: Imperial Infantrymen.

This primer will detail the best units to take into battle and how to appropriately use their strengths and weaknesses in the fires of combat. At the end of the Units section I have included a small tactica that is by no means comprehensive and does not take into account all conditions on any given battlefield. This tactica contains only the most basic tenants for use with all infantry armies.

Part the First – Units

Command Squad – The HQ Command Squad is a compulsory choice, yet it is the most important choice to make in an all infantry army. The reason for this is singular: you have no fearless tanks. Without tanks, which never have to worry about petty things such as leadership, our army will have a much higher need for good leadership on the field of battle. For this reason it is imperative that a Heroic Senior Officer be chosen to lead such a force.

The Command Squad should also be equipped with both a Master Vox caster and a veteran carrying a Company Standard. Normally an Imperial Guard army does not absolutely require the use of a Master Vox (or even a Vox caster in some circumstances), however, an army consisting of only infantry will be far too spread out from their command structure to make efficient use of the HSO’s radius of influence. Also, with an all infantry army there will be many times during the course of a battle where multiple squads will have need of the commanding officer’s guidance. This will make the Master Vox an invaluable piece of equipment.

The Company Standard must, of course, be brought to battle for the effect in morale that it will impose upon the nearby soldiers. With this particular piece of equipment it is very important to keep the most important units arrayed near the Commander and his staff. This will keep the likelihood of those units attempting to betray the battlefield to a minimum as they will be close enough to see the Companies glorious colors above the battlefield.

Pitfalls: This squad does not require any type of Special or Heavy Weaponry in the least. If played correctly, then the Command Squad will be using the terrain or vehicle as tactical cover while they grant their Leadership to the troops around them and plan the battle for their army. Also, remember that the extra accoutrements of carapace armor and refractor fields are wasted upon this unit, as they will rarely be seen to be fired upon.
    Remember: Let the proud Astartes array themselves with all manner of war gear, we shall only array ourselves in the Faith that our Emperor Protects.

Fire Support Squads – The way to complete victory over the enemies of the Imperium lies here. The maximum amount of Heavy Weapons that can be requisitioned by a Commander leading an all infantry force should be taken to battle. The preferable weapon here is the Heavy Bolter because of its ability to fire at a faster rate than any other Heavy Weapon in the Imperium. If the sharpshooter doctrine has been drilled into these troops, then their effectiveness will increase ten fold so it is always a good consideration to drill your Heavy Weapons soldiers in this tactic before taking the field of battle.

Pitfalls: Mixing heavy weapons. It is a common pitfall among young and inexperienced commanders to mix the Heavy Weapons taken in a Heavy Weapons Squad. Heavy Bolters have a role as anti infantry and can accomplish this task well on their own. Autocannons have a dual role as anti infantry and anti light armor. If Autocannons are mixed with Heavy Bolters, then the Heavy Bolter shots may be wasted if the Autocannons are forced to fire at a light tank. The Heavy Bolter just doesn’t have the strength to punch through armor as an Autocannon does.

Anti-Tank Support Squads – In a standard M41 pattern Imperial Guard army the need for these teams is not apparent. However, when the army is reduced to no tanks, or the commander only employs tanks, then it these weapons should be taken into consideration.

The first and best choice here is the Missile Launcher due to it’s flexibility in the targets that it can engage and because of its lower profile as a target of opportunity for enemy forces. Use this weapon to target both enemy tanks and infantry in the following method: When firing upon infantry, be sure to load Frag rounds as the blast inherent in these rounds is capable of wounding multiple enemy soldiers at a time. When firing upon enemy armor be sure to use only the Krak rounds provided to you as they are blessed with unguents of penetration and will disable the enemy tanks easily.

Lascannons are the only other choice for these squads; however they are targets of high priority for a smart enemy commander to target. For this reason it is important that they should not be grouped together very often unless there is already an abundance of these weapons spread out among the infantry squads. Remember that giving the enemy easy targets of priority is a crime of the highest degree and will be dealt with swiftly by the commissariat.

Mortars – Mortars are a weapon, which I as your Lord Commander have rarely had a use for. These weapons are inaccurate to a degree and they have difficulty penetrating even the weakest of armor worn by many of our most feared enemies. Their redeeming quality is that the terrifying noise that they make when screaming towards their target is capable of rendering the enemy actionless in some circumstances.

Use this weapon only when all other available Heavy Weapons have been requisitioned from the Departmento Munitorum first.

Sentinel Support Squadron – It has been my experience that an army that has depleted its resources of armor will usually have little access to Sentinels. However, there have been instances where Sentinels were the only armored vehicle in my arsenal so it is important to detail them here.

When tanks are in short supply Sentinels can be one of the commander’s greatest assets. The speed of these vehicles is paramount to their success on the battlefield, so their movement should be in no way restricted in the same manner as Infantry Squads. Instead, since all pilots of Sentinels in my army are commissioned as Warrant Officers, they should be allowed free reign over the battlefield in order to exploit weaknesses in the enemy’s battle plan.

There are a vast array of weapons that can be fitted onto a Sentinel; Multi Lasers, Autocannons, Lascannons, Heavy Flamers and some Sentinels are even rumored to be fitted with Missile Launchers and Multi Meltas, however these Sentinels are not STC and therefore I do not have any on hand. These weapons each have a different value to their respective commander so I shall detail these here.

Multi Lasers and Autocannons are weapons with have the dual role of being able to attack both infantry and lightly armored vehicles. These are the best all around weapons for this type of vehicle and should be used in most cases. Lascannons, are a primary anti-tank weapon, however, Lascannons are an expensive piece of wargear and should only be fitted on a Sentinel in the most dire of circumstances. A Sentinel with a Lascannon becomes a priority target for enemy troops, so it should be avoided.

Heavy Flamers are a special case weapon and should be used when the fighting will be close quarters or the commander has the ability to deep strike these vehicles into combat where their Heavy Flamers can be instantly useful. Deep striking such a vehicle is a risky proposition at best, however, the low cost of a Sentinel equipped with only a Heavy Flamer makes the proposition worth the risk in many instances.

Special Weapons Squads – These squads have two purposes in a M41 pattern guard army. They are created in order to increase the saturation of Special Weapons equipped in the ranks or to add additional weaponry not available to standard line units. Since Guard Infantry Squads are allowed only one Special Weapon, as detailed in their official Codex, some commanders may find it expedient to add one or two of these squads in order to add more firepower to their company.

One of their best assets is their ability to employ explosive charges into the ranks of the enemy. These squads are specially trained in the use of improvised explosives and their ability to use these explosives can often offset the lack of Heavy Support evident in most armies comprised wholly of infantry. Whenever these squads are taken, they should be equipped with the necessary materiel in order improvise explosives.

Least useful of the weapons in this type of squad are Sniper Rifles. I have attempted to employ them on several occasions, however, their rate of fire in the face of an oncoming horde of enemy soldiers has only rarely proven to be worth the high cost of provisioning these troops. Sniper rifles are best left to the sub humans known as Ratlings, if any can be drawn into your forces. They are excellent shots and they rarely abandon their positions in the face of enemy fire, which is truly commendable.

Sanctioned Psykers – Although I realize the need for these individuals in order to guide our vast forces through the warp and in order to transmit messages to far reaching corners of the galaxy, I feel that they have no place on the battlefield. Their battlefield powers are quite fickle and depending upon which Psyker you bring to any given battle, his powers may end up being entirely useless in the advancement of your cause.

These individuals are entirely undependable and have no place in an all infantry army. Their powers constantly shift and manifest such that a Psyker who is useful in one battle may prove to have no useful power at all during the next battle. This kind of unreliability cannot be tolerated among the ranks.

Commissars – Although these individuals come and go about the Imperium under their own directives, I attempt to keep them near my armies whenever I have no armor left to expend. Their force of character helps keep my officers in line and helps to bolster their leadership qualities when they might otherwise fail. Their cost to the Commissariat is actually quite high, but their use on with this type of army is quite satisfactory.

In the presence of armor, however, their use becomes mostly extraneous as the there will generally be fewer troops in the army. It is not my place, however, to say when and where a Commissar should stand with the troops, so I will retire my opinion of their usefulness outside of an all Infantry army.

Priests – I have seen many an Imperial Guardsman on the field of battle incited into a fury by a Priest to the point where they charge out of a well defended position and make a futile attack upon the oncoming enemy. It is a common mistake to believe that Guardsmen will fare better with their bayonet than they will with their lasgun and Priests often force the issue.

It is my opinion that a good officer will array his chapel and the rear medical facilities with his Priests and only use them on the battlefield when manpower is at its lowest. Besides, it would not be wise to allow these hallowed servants of the Emperor to come needlessly to harm.

Hardened Veterans – These troops come about only after fierce battles during which a unit may be rendered down to only a few troops left from an entire company. These troops are battle hardened and tested and have honed their battle skills to a high degree. Whenever you have these soldiers, they should be used. Their value in an all infantry army is inestimable.

One of their best assets is that they are an irregular unit and therefore do not have to conform to the prescribed Codex listing. This means that they have a wide array of Heavy and Special Weapons available to them. The fact that they are battle hardened makes them more accurate with their weapons than regular guardsmen, so it is best to make sure that they are equipped with weapons that need to be more accurate than average. I typically give these units a mix of Plasma weaponry and Lascannons as these weapons are quite accurate and deadly in their hands.

Ogryns – These troops are a subhuman unit that is extraordinarily large and vicious. They can generally take more punishment than a normal human unless they are faced with an enemy which makes prodigious use of large caliber weapons, which will fell an Ogryn as easily as a Guardsman.

These units are expensive to requisitioned, difficult to keep in line and easily destroyed when the correct weaponry is brought to bear on their large bulk. They also have a propensity to be quite dull in regards to their mental faculty. For these many reasons I do not recommend their use in an all Infantry army, nor any army of the Imperial Guard for that matter.

Storm Troopers – These troops excel in mobility and ability to bring to bear a high amount of firepower from Special Weaponry. Because of their higher degree of training, when compared to a standard issue guardsman, they are more accurate and deadly with their weaponry than most forces available to a commander.

I recommend using these forces in small doses in order to apply pressure on the enemy at the weak points in their line. Two common methods for using these troops is to deploy them from the upper atmosphere in a Deep Strike maneuver, or to equip them with the appropriate camouflage to enable them to infiltrate into the enemies position.

Of these two methods, Deep Strike is the riskier and I tend to use their Infiltrating skills on a more regular basis as it is a time tested and proven technique for disrupting enemy battle plans.

These troops are equipped with a wide variety of weapons, however the two most useful are Plasma Guns and Melta Guns since these weapons take a higher degree of training in order to employ. Although the Codex allows for flamers and grenade launchers to be taken, I feel that it is a waste to equip these highly trained guardsmen with weapons that take relatively little skill to employ or lack the strength of the aforementioned better weapons.

Ratlings - These subhumans are quite extraordinary among subhumans and I relish the chance to use them against my foes. Whenever I have a lack of armor in my army, I tend to attempt to requisition these troops if available.

They are highly accurate with their weaponry and, as I mentioned earlier, they are difficult to be removed from a position once they have taken it. They are also quite adept at using available cover to the best of its abilities and in the correct placement; their losses are usually quite low.

Another unique benefit to having these troops available is their ability to procure rations where none could previously be found, and their culinary arts are without match within a battle trained unit. When they are not placing highly accurate fire into the enemy’s best units, they are keeping morale high with their ability to cook delicious meals for the troops.

Techpriest Enginseers – The very fact that an all Infantry army has a lack of tanks renders these adepts of the mystical machine spirit quite useless. They are difficult to requisition in the first place when tanks are available, and when tanks are not available, their best abilities are wasted.

If your army has no armor left, then it would be best to transfer these individuals to a unit that has need of them.

Infantry Platoon – It should be quite obvious that an army that lacks armor should have as many Infantry Squads as possible, however, what might not be quite as obvious is how to equip these squads. I will detail here the best equipment for an individual infantry squad to bring to battle and why it is important that they have this gear.

When Infantry are all that is available to a commander, then certain pieces of wargear become more useful than others. The first piece of equipment to be chosen should be a Vox caster. It cannot always be certain that a squad will be near to its respective commander when deployed in a battle position, so it is important to have a method of constant communication with these squads. This will help keep their morale high and keep them from abandoning their positions in the face of overwhelming odds.

According to the Codex for Imperial Guard armies, each squad is allowed to be equipped with one Heavy Weapon and one Special Weapon. Since they are allowed to have both types of weapons, then they should make use of both types of weapons. My preferred method of outfitting an Infantry Squad is to take one Lascannon or Missile Launcher and one Plasma Gun.

Lascannons and Missile Launchers are best when placed in a large infantry squad, as there are many people who can man the weapon as the squad takes casualties. This subsequently keeps them off of an enemy’s high priority target list. The Plasma Gun is placed with the Lascannon or Missile Launcher because of its long range when compared to other Special Weapons. It has the ability to reach across the battlefield and smite the most heavily armored of foes before they can close with the squad.

All other Heavy Weapons available to a guard army are acceptable for use in a regular guard squad. If Lascannons are not available, then any of the other weapons in the arsenal are a good substitute with the exception of the Mortar for reasons that I have already expounded upon earlier in this text.

Another good combination of weapons is to mix Heavy Bolters or Autocannons with Grenade Launchers. Both of these types of weapons have long ranges and are dedicated to anti-infantry roles. They compliment each other well and have the ability to decimate enemy infantry before they can close with the Guardsmen.

Special Weapons are a different case. If the commander decides that Flamers or Melta Guns are an expedient choice in the army list, then it is best to leave the Heavy Weapons to the Fire Support Squads. The reason for this is that Flamers and Melta Guns require a good deal of mobility to be effective and Heavy Weapons stand in direct contradiction to this in that they need to be placed and moved very little to be effective.

As far as replacing Sergeants in the unit with Veteran Sergeants; I look down upon this practice. It’s best to keep these fine soldiers with their Veteran Units, as their best abilities become wasted when placed back into line duty with a squad that has not seen the same trials in combat.

Conscripts – Conscripted units, in an all infantry army, are one of the best assets that a commander can come by. When tanks are in short supply, it is good to have a vast supply of soldiers with lasguns. Even though these soldiers have yet to prove themselves in combat, they are useful in bolstering the line with a high amount of bodies.

Psychologically this is very useful. When an enemy commander looks across a battlefield it is typically demoralizing for him to see that you have many more troops on the field than he does, even if these troops are poorly trained and easily broken.

A good tactic with Conscripts is to convince the local Commissar that these unproven troops need his leadership in order to prevail in battle. If a Commissar joins this unit, rather than a command unit, then his presence will make these young Guardsmen fight with a determination not usually seen in troops so young and inexperienced.

Rough Riders – When tanks are not available it may prove valuable to take troops mounted on whatever local riding beast that the planet has to offer. These types of troops are good for making lightening fast countercharges against difficult to break enemy units. Because the Imperial Codex allows them to be equipped with special explosive tipped lances, they can have quite a punch on their initial charge.

The unfortunate drawback is that these units are more expensive to requisition than normal Guardsmen and if they do not break their foe on the charge, then they will be forced into a protracted Hand to Hand battle. This type of drawn out combat is usually detrimental to their survival, so their use can be quite risky and requires more finesse than most Imperial Troops.

Heavy Weapons Platoon – If an army going to battle is of regimental size or greater, then this type of Platoon will be quite useful. Otherwise these troops are already covered by other options in the Imperial Codex such as Anti-Tank Support Squads and Fire Support Squads, which should be sufficient in all but the most extreme cases.

Part the Second – Tactics

The highest consideration for employment of an all infantry guard army is deployment. If the commander is incapable of correctly reading the terrain and placing his units where they will be most useful, then his force is doomed to be overrun or out shot. This is because most units will remain in the position that they are placed in for the remainder of the battle in order to maximize the efficiency of their Heavy Weapons.

Primarily, it is important to make sure that several squads of Guardsmen all have overlapping fields of fire and are capable of supporting each other in a firefight. If this is accomplished, then few are the enemies that will be able to survive the massed lasgun fire that such a position can produce. However, it is also imperative to keep squads from grouping themselves too close together. If the enemy successfully penetrates the lines, then he will easily be able to consolidate into squad after squad without taking very much fire, which can doom an army to failure.

Second, it is important to provide the more valuable units in the army with sufficient cover so that they are not easily displaced by shooting or an enemy charge. All Support Squads fit this description as do Veterans with Heavy Weapons and especially Ratlings, if they are used. In fact, if sufficient cover is available, then ideally all squad in the army would be placed into cover. This will, however, not prove to be the case in most instances.

Another consideration to keep in mind is that if too many specialist type troops are taken, then there may not be enough room for standard guardsmen. In order for an all infantry army to succeed, there needs to be a disproportionately high amount of standard guardsmen. This is because there will be little else in the way priority targets for the enemy to distract his fire, and Guardsmen will be quickly depleted when a high concentration of fire is aimed at them.

With enough troops and the blessing of the Undying Emperor, any task can be accomplished. Take this to heart and bear in mind what I have written here and your forces can be quite successful without the aid of Imperial Armor.

- Lord General Vincent "Hourglass" DiFilipino

-Commander Abyssian IV

Doctrines

In response to requests from several of the officers in my command I have compiled a list of Imperial training Doctrines that I find useful when employing an all infantry army. Note that this detailing of Doctrines is for use only when there are no available tanks, and that my previous treatise regarding standard M41 pattern armies has a listing of doctrines to be used in conjunction with armor.

Also note that not every Doctrine taught is on this list. If it has absolutely no pertinence to this particular type of army, then I have omitted it entirely rather than begin a lengthy discourse on its lack of usefulness.

Drop Troops – The Elysians are the best example of how to employ this doctrine correctly, however, there are times when Valkyries are not widely available for use and other methods of deploying airborne troops must be used. These methods can include anything from parachutes, to grav shutes and all end up accomplishing the same task of Deep Striking a unit of Guardsmen.

I find that this doctrine is very useful and the training involved is minimal which means that the cost involved in training these kinds of troops is negligible. Due to this low cost, I recommend that every regiment in my unit attempt to complete this course of training except when it lies in contradiction to other combat disciplines.

Grenadiers – Some regiments have the resources to train their own organic units of Stormtroopers. These Stormtroopers, however, lack the specialized training that they would receive at a standard Stormtrooper training facility and therefore lack the usual ability to Deep Strike or Infiltrate.

Because of this degradation in abilities, I find it far more useful to requisition the maximum amount of standard Stormtroopers for my armies, when their use is deemed necessary.

Die-Hards – This regimental training is some of the best ever taught on Imperial Training grounds. It sharpens the minds of soldiers and prepares them to face the rigors of battle without faltering in their faith in their commanders. These Guardsmen are much more difficult to be demoralized than other units and therefore are a perfect compliment to a commander with high leadership abilities.

As an aside, this type of training requires very little in the way of materials and therefore is quite cheap. It takes only time and a few inconsequential visual aids in order to train troops to believe resolutely in their command structure. Because of this, I recommend this training to be a high priority for all troops.

Iron Discipline – While the Enlisted soldiers are attending the Die Hards course, it is a very good idea to send the officers to my Iron Discipline course, which I wrote myself when I was but a lowly regimental commander. The course that I designed is capable of turning the newest and most naïve Officer into a strict example of Discipline for his soldiers.

When the soldiers are fighting alongside an Officer that exemplifies courage and honor, then the troops will fight all the more fiercely in his name. Guardsmen under the command of an Officer, who has undergone this course, will also find it more difficult to flee the field of battle while his commander yet lives. When normal Guard units are fleeing from the field of battle because of their high casualty rate, these soldiers will regroup and press their attack at the nearest opportune moment.

Independent Commissars – It is a rare occurrence when a Commissar chooses to stand with soldiers in the company other than the Officers, but it does happen. Although this is not an occurrence which you can plan for, it is a huge boon to your less disciplined troops, such as Conscripts. There have been many occasions where I have tactfully shown a Commissar that his leadership would be much more useful among these troops and they have conceded the point.

Conscripts are wont to run at the first sight of danger, however the presence of such a terrifying figure as a Commissar will make sure that their lines hold in the face of unspeakable horrors. These troops, when properly led as such, can perform amazing feats; particularly in hand to hand combat where their numbers can overwhelm many enemies.

Close Order Drill – Among the doctrines, this doctrine is by far the easiest to implement and one of the most beneficial doctrines widely available to us. It takes no resources to implement and therefore is completely free since no resources need to be expended.

When the troops are properly trained in the particular defensive formation, they will invariably have a boost to their moral and can even get the upper hand on slower enemies, which is not typically common when facing some of the fleet footed foes of the Imperium.

I recommend this doctrine be trained to all regiments in my forces unless their training schedule is already full of other Doctrinal training.

Hardened Fighters – While this Doctrine can seem useful on the surface, it only serves to the detriment of the best skill that a Guardsman has; marksmanship. Guardsmen should never be over trained in the art of hand to hand fighting in lieu of training that can improve their ranged capabilities.

Guardsmen should strive to keep the enemy at a distance through massed lasgun and heavy weapon fire rather than train to allow the enemy to come within arms reach. Although we tell our troops that they are an equal match in close combat with the foes of the Imperium, it is merely a ruse to keep their spirits high.

I do not recommend that this doctrine be taught to any regiment in my forces, especially regiments which can count on no armor for heavy support. Without the ability to blast huge holes in enemy formations before hand, guardsmen will find that engaging the full strength of the enemy in Hand to Hand combat will prove mostly futile.

Jungle Fighters – The surface of our planet, Abyssia IV, contains many Jungles, and troops should be trained to fight in these types of terrain. That being said, however, these troops should be specialist troops who fight either primarily or only in dense Jungles.

As a regular doctrine, when fighting out of high cover, it is better to have flexible troops which will be able to wear the flak jackets provided throughout my forces. Flexibility is the key here. Jungle troops will have a difficult time fighting outside of a Jungle, however regularly trained troops will be able to fight in a Jungle albeit with some discomfort.

I don’t recommend this training be widely dispersed throughout my forces and the regiments which have been designated as Jungle fighting regiments are the only units which I have fully authorized for this type of training.

Light Infantry – Again, this doctrine takes away the flexibility of a regular guardsman in favor of mobility. While mobility is important, it should be considered that a mobile squad is one that does not carry a Heavy Weapon. Since Heavy Weapons are the equalizer in any engagement with hostile forces, I do not consider this training to be necessary.

This is especially true in the case of all infantry forces, which do not have the use of armor to make up for the lack of a Heavy Weapon or two. Keep in mind that there are already units available to all of the regiments in my army that have a high degree of mobility and very good firepower such as Stormtroopers and the Hardened Veterans from previous campaigns.

Sharpshooters – This doctrine is very much in line with the primary job of a Guardsman, which is to keep the enemy at a safe distance through massed firepower. I recommend training all Fire Support Teams and Anti Tank Support Teams with this doctrine in order to improve their chances of scoring hits upon the enemy.

This doctrine, however, costs a fair amount due to the expenditure of ammo required in order to increase the proficiency of these Support Teams, so it is my recommendation that not every squad in the army receive this training. This, however, is solely dependent upon the commander’s wishes and resources. If the ammo is available, then by all means, require your Guardsmen to become highly proficient with their weapons.

Xeno Fighters – Unless you are absolutely certain of the foe that you will be facing, then I cannot recommend requisitioning these troops on a regular basis. These troops have faced many conflicts against a particular blasphemous form of xenos, and using them against other foes, unless in the direst of circumstances, means wasting valuable lives to an unfamiliar enemy.
    A flexible regimental commander who is taking his forces into unknown territory should not requisition these troops. If I hear of a commander under my authority doing so, then I will punish them to the highest degree for misallocating valuable military resources.

Veterans – Upon special request from a commander I may authorize a regiment for the use of more than one squad of these valuable assets to the emperor. If the foe that an army faces is a particularly vicious or hardy enemy, then these troops will prove invaluable and I will sign the release.

I highly recommend taking advantage of the equipment that these troops will have with them and use that equipment to suit the needs of the terrain or to supplement missing firepower in the unit. This means that if a unit desperately needs the use of a Lascannon with a highly experienced crew in order to destroy heavy vehicles, then requisition Veterans with a Lascannon.

If the army requires several Special Weapons to supplement their firepower, then I suggest equipping them with several Plasma Guns or Melta Guns and using their ability to infiltrate. This one ability has lead to the rapid disorganization of many enemy forces and contributed to the overall success of many a campaign.

Overall I consider these troops very useful and very flexible and any commander who can show good cause for the requisition of more than their allotment will be granted permission.

Chem Inhaler – I have heard of this doctrine being used by several different planetary forces in the Imperium, however, I disdain to use these types of drugs in order to increase the Morale of troops. Good Officers and the correct placement of Commissars throughout a force should be more than adequate to keep troops from fleeing a battle.

If the troops in a certain regiment are showing moral problems, then all of the Officers should be sent to my Iron Discipline course first. If this does not solve the problem, then I will personally direct a Commissar to deal with that Regiment.

Cameleoline – Guard armies with the resources to spare should make good use of this special material. Guardsmen should make all available use of cover on the battlefield and this equipment will only help to keep more Guardsmen alive. More Guardsmen directly equates to more weapons firing at the enemy, which I highly encourage.

That being said, however, this doctrine does cost a fair amount of resources to implement and should not be wantonly tossed about to every Regiment in my command. There are thousands of Regiments in the Imperium that survive on a daily basis without the benefit of such arcane technologies.

Carapace Armor – Remember, it is the Holy Emperor that protects! This type of Equipment is highly expensive to procure for all units in a regiment, and the Imperial Codex dictates that if any unit in a regiment should have this equipment, then they all shall have it.

Because of the strictness of this rule, I cannot recommend that the regiments in my command receive any more than the basic flak armor provided to them in large quantities. Flak armor and faith in the Emperor should amount to more than sufficient protection for an average Guardsman.

Also remember that the high cost of this equipment comes at the sacrifice of additional troops available to that regiment. This leads to a commander having better equipped troops, but less of them. The Imperial Guards fighting doctrine never once uses the word less when referring to troops, which means that this equipment is superfluous and should not be used.

Cyber-enhancements – If carapace armor is considered to be too expensive, then this doctrine should be considered to be more so. It provides an average Guardsman with only the slightest chance to survive attacks that a regular guardsman would not. This slight factor is not worth the time and resources that need to be devoted in order to provide this ability.

I do not recommend this doctrine under any circumstances.

Warrior Weapons – This doctrine laughs in the face of Imperial Training and it removes the most basic and deadly weapon that Guardsman has; his lasgun. The removal of this weapon in order to wield on weapon in each hand is an unforgivable breach of training.

Even if troops must be brought up from more feral worlds, their training can and still should include basic proficiency with a lasgun. Most of the troops in the Imperial Guard have never seen a weapon before until they first train with a lasgun during initial training. If they can be taught which end is to be pointed at the enemy, then damned if these “feral? humans shouldn’t be able to do the same!

Last edited by H0urg1ass; July 23rd, 2005 at 14:48.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way cool!

Great tactica, I like the narrative style.

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Wow, impressive post!!

While I do not have your narrative ability, please allow me to add a few comments to tactics:
    - LoS is paramount to the sucess of such an army. You have to be able to see any CC threat coming your way
    - While being in cover is good, LoS is much more important. Few armies have the firepower to seriously damage a IG footslogger army, but many have the CC ability to do so.
    - I recommend having at least one if not two counter attack units (ex: senior officer (NOT THE GENERAL!!) plus comissar, both with power fists, in a unit with several meltaguns or flamers, rough riders, ogryns...). Those units will stay behind the firing lane and will move to intercept ennemy CC units and bog them down, AFTER the firing lane has reduced their numbers
    - personally, I often put melatguns and flamers in my infantry units. I do it b/c of the fluff of my army (based on WWII Russians) and because plasma are too rare and dangerous for guards. It's suprinsingly effective to soften up ennemy CC units before a counter-charge, as few opponents expect this from guard.

Hope it helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really great job there. You covered nearly everything that an All-Infantry army shud have.

Your tactica pretty much sums up my experience with all infantry IG armies.
    "To each his own"

In my HQ, Currently Giving an Inspiring Speech to my Guardsman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome guide, *****
    ...And they shall fear the lasgun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AKM
    - LoS is paramount to the sucess of such an army. You have to be able to see any CC threat coming your way
    Very key point that is way to often overlooked. All the firepower in the world is useless without lines of fire. If you can overlap these as much as possible to allow multiple units of yours to engage a single enemy unit your fires will be that much more effective.
    - I recommend having at least one if not two counter attack units (ex: senior officer (NOT THE GENERAL!!) plus comissar, both with power fists, in a unit with several meltaguns or flamers, rough riders, ogryns...). Those units will stay behind the firing lane and will move to intercept ennemy CC units and bog them down, AFTER the firing lane has reduced their numbers
    The senior officer is an IC and can be singled out by enemy fighters and must be in BtB to use the fist. Not a good use of points. The Commisar is not an IC and can be protected accordingly. He is the source of the IG hidden powerfist.
    - personally, I often put melatguns and flamers in my infantry units. I do it b/c of the fluff of my army (based on WWII Russians) and because plasma are too rare and dangerous for guards. It's suprinsingly effective to soften up ennemy CC units before a counter-charge, as few opponents expect this from guard.
    This is what I use my platoon command squads for. Typically two flamers and either two melta guns or a melta and a plasma. I tend to shy away from meltas beacuse of the merely average shooting of a guardsman. He's probably only going to get one shot and he'll only hit half the time with the melta. Many units get a save vs. flamers, but the sheer number of models that can be hit each turn makes up for it. They typically recoup their points better than meltas, even against marines.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Actually, I did attempt to cover this part down in the tactica. I know it was a long article and many people probably won't read that far, but here's what I said in a nutshell:

Primarily, it is important to make sure that several squads of Guardsmen all have overlapping fields of fire and are capable of supporting each other in a firefight.
    I expounded upon that a little bit more in the same paragraph, but yes, I agree with you. LoS is the MOST important thing they can have, which is why the deployment phase is so incredibly important to an all infantry army.

personally, I often put melatguns and flamers in my infantry units. I do it b/c of the fluff of my army (based on WWII Russians) and because plasma are too rare and dangerous for guards. It's suprinsingly effective to soften up ennemy CC units before a counter-charge, as few opponents expect this from guard.
    Oh sure, it's fine to put Melta's and Flamers in your squads if that fits the fluff of your army. However, I would leave the Heavy Weapons out of those squad if I were you so that they can remain mobile. This is because those two types of weapons don't get to fire very often if the squad just sits around.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing article, as most of the others, I like the incharacter and narrative style.
    But (yes, there's always a but) I miss a discussion of doctrines, with no armour they become more interesting (to me at least).

Just a few lines on each doctrine (barring Mechanised, of course) and it would be perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

I shall complete that task by the time I go bed tonight. Of course, I'm in Korea, so you will all already be asleep while I'm writing it... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was planning on including doctrines in this article, but it was becoming lengthy and my fingers were getting tired of typing so I just released it as it was.

Coming Soon: Doctrines!

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-170 (x0)

Excellent guide, should be stickied or something.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast