pics of my army up! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pics of my army up!

hey all, I just got some pics posted of my squads and whatnot on my pbase account. check em out and feel free to comment!

http://www.pbase.com/skipprjoe/imperial_guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

:eek:

Those are awesome!

O'Dev'n

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work. I wish I had the time and patience to finish painting my guard army.
    "Official! The graves of warriors who have given thier lives for the Emperor now outnumber the stars themselves."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

They look great knoll, but the pics are very bright. They look very well done though............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Very nice. Great conversion on your commander guy.
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's up with the hair that shows in every pic?

I like the conversion work.

Some constructive criticism...

The wash that you used to shade the cloth came out very mottled. Add a bit of Jet Dry (like a drop) to your rinse water and use that to thin the paint or ink for the wash, it will flow better and give a smoother shading effect. Also lightly go back over the washed areas with the original color to add more depth to the effect.

The rust effect on the LC in the first squad is a nice touch, but looks out of place on the barrel since the rest of the barrel is soo clean. I usually build up my metal areas using drybrush techniques from black and make sure that I leave the recesses black to add depth. If you are going for the rusty look, a chestnut ink wash followed by boltgun and mithril drybrushes can achieve that effect.

The greens look flat. There is no highlighting on the green sections at all. Even just picking out some of the edges with a 50/50 catachan/camo green mix will add a lot to the paintjob.

Keep at it!
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Look really nice!

I don't care much for basic green flock, though. I think putting sand, painting it, and adding patches of grass make models look much better

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

The paint job looks good, kudos to you.

Criticism:

Building on what AKM said, you might want to go further on the bases. The bright green flock combined with the bright green base sort of overpowers your model. I believe by changing the rim of your base to a chaos black or scorched brown, it will put more focus on your models.

Also what AKM suggested will help in the same way. Paint the sand like mud and dirt and then just glue small patches of surving grass. Eith er that or just use straight stactic grass. But it will stop the base's brightness overpowering you painting.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:p hey wow thanks for all the comments!

my guard are basically painted for tabletop quality, I long ago stopped giving them eyeballs and whatnot in favor of going on to the next guardsman and getting to work on him :p

all the drybrushing and whatnot is, while great advice, something I'm not really interested in doing; yes it'd look nice, but ultimately I'd rather paint another model than make a 6pt guardsman look really nice.

I do like the advice about drybrushing some tan onto the uniforms to bring out the highlights more, but as above, I'm happy with the overall quality of the models and would rather bulk up on basically painted models.

oh, the hair in all the photos was on my scanner lol! I didnt see it till I was done scanning all the images. Oh well, when I reshoot pics of my army I'll make sure that any offending hairs are not on my scanner hehe.

the photos are a bit shadowed and washed out color wise due to me shooting them on a bright sunny afternoon. next time I think I'll shoot them inside where the light is softer so that the pics will show the details that have been lost to dark afternoon shadows that plagued this round of pics.

my method of painting these guys is really simple, I just do a basic paintjob then add a thick coat of brown ink wash. It's a pretty simple way to wind up with some troops that look like they've been in the field for a month

I'm not as much a fan of the wash on the leman russ demolisher, and might repaint it without the camo then rewash it; that turns out pretty nice, just the catachan green with brown ink wash over it.

I'm working on finishing up my 1,000pt army paintjob wise, so will have some new pics posted by the end of the week hopefully. I'll update the thread and keep you all informed!

oh! and the way I decided to do the bases is so that the bases themselves blend in with the green turf mat that we play on regularly, thus making the bases invisible when the troops are actually deployed on the table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mebbe you could play me once i add some more terrain details :lol: 4 and a half feet by 8 and a quarter feet

i got some work to do assembling my hellhound and painting a few guys sides that army is almost ready

grrr!

-NTFH
    Last edited by NTFH; July 23rd, 2005 at 02:40. Reason: detail

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast