what would be most efficent addition - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would be most efficent addition

Hi, I'm playing in a starting army tournament which begins at 500 pts and every 2 weeks adds 250 pts ...
    presently in my 500pt army i am running around 40 IG troops (armored fist squad) ... my HQ retinue and heavy support in each squad
    I was wondering what would be most beneficial addition to my army for the 750 game ...
    I was thinking that i would add a leman russ tank (although i have a basilisk) along with a squadron of 5 rough riders
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

If I were you, then I would add a Fire Support Team in first. My first choice would be Heavy Bolters and then the next FST in my opinion should be Autocannons.

The Leman Russ tank shouldn't be added in until you have 1000 points, unless you want to swap the Basilisk with the Leman Russ. My general rule of thumb for tanks is one tank per every 500 points in the army list. Since 750 isn't quite another 500 points, then I would hold off on the extra tank.

If you want us to give you are really good picture of what to do with your army next, then give us an army list so we can see exactly what you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you need to be able to either add overwhelming fire (AT/Fire support squads such as 3x missile launcher teams or 3x autocannon teams etc) or hand to hand support which means you'd take the independent commissars doctrine and add a platoon of conscripts. combining an independent commissar with powerfist into a platoon of 30 conscripts can be done for under 250pts and gives you a FEARLESS squad of 30 guardsmen with a HIDDEN POWERFIST. just keep the commissar out of base to base contact or he'll be target-able by the enemy. this conscript platoon has the capability to take down even a demon prince, so I'd highly recommend it as it has a high level of reliability. the downside is that you'll be lacking in anti armor firepower and may not be able to deal with a beardy opponent who's brought a heavy tank to a 750pt game as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya that would kinda help
    Here is my present 500pt army

HQ:
    senior officers - carapace armor, frag grenade, bolt pistol, power weapon
    4 guardsmen - 2 with grenade launchers
    heavy weapon lascannon
    Medic

Troops:

Junior Officer
    2 Guardsmen
    Heavy weapon mortar

Infantry Squad 1:
    7 guardsmen
    heavy weapon autocannon
    sergeant

Infanty Squad 2:
    7 guardsmen
    heavy weapon missile launcher
    sergeant

Armoured Fist Squad:
    Chimera: Multi-laser, Hull Heavy Bolter
    9 guardsmen
    sergeant

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a couple things.

you can trim some points out of your command hq squad, 2 grenade launchers is great for moving and covering your move with the ability to shoot at an enemy target, and, in a command squad, a lascannon team is a great reason to have the squad utterly annihilated by the enemy for the cause of threat reduction; in other words, a lascannon makes your fragile command squad into a fire magnet.

I'd pick either a missile launcher (much less of a threat) or the 2 grenade launchers. also I believe that a standard bearer with the company standard is more helpful than a medic. any unit within 12" rerolling failed morale checks can totally save the day!

I understand if you already have things modelled up and cant really switch it out, but I discourage the lascannon in the command squad, maybe just switch it to a regular line squad where it'd have a whole squad of riflemen to absorb wounds before the lascannon went down (which keeps fire off your other more mobile elements, an important thing since we tend to evaporate into nothingness vs enemy rifle fire)

you need to give the armored fist squad a special weapon at least. just lasguns is no good. give them a meltagun maybe since they'll be closer to the enemy and more easily able to employ it's destructive power. plasma guns are also good choices as any enemy that comes close will taste a pair of ap2 shots that will likely leave a bitter flavor in their mouths from the experience.

on the topic of special weapons..all your squads need them, but in particular the armored fist squad needs one as first priority. You'd do well to drop the heavy weapon from the command squad and use the points to either upgrade the squad based missile launcher to a lascannon, or, equip some squads with special weapons, or, upgrade the missile to a lascannon and put a special weapon in the armored fist squad.

**edit**

another nasty trick, if you really want to keep that medic and skip the company standard (which I discourage) is to go with 2 plasma guns and a medic in a command squad. this allows you to negate the first failed overheat save each turn, effectively adding a measure of stability to your plasma fire. this can be great in a close support firing role and it'd bring your commander into hand to hand where he can use that powersword.

even better you could do that with a platoon command squad and add the company standard to your command hq squad with the senior officer. this would take some serious points juggling though, but would be the best way to go.

more details about the rules behind the independent commissar/conscript thing in case you choose to take it in your army at some point: the whole fearless thing comes from the commissar's 'summary execution' special rule when clarified with the most recent GW FAQ which can be found on their website with ease. the FAQ states that when a commissar is with a leaderless squad and they fail a morale check, one model is removed as a casualty as a result of the summary execution rule for the commissar and then the morale check is considered passed and the commissar assumes command of the squad, the squad fighting on under his leadership. this means that when in a platoon of conscripts, any time they fail a leadership/morale test, you just remove one conscript and game on with the platoon auto-passing the morale test in question. hope that helps you defend the unit if any questions arise as to it's rule born validity

just some thoughts for you to ponder; hope they help!
    Last edited by artificer knoll; July 23rd, 2005 at 22:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for your input ... i didn't realize that i neglected my standard barer but i definatly have him in my army ... i'l look into juggling my heavies around but other than that any thoughts on what to add to upgrade to 750 ... i was thinking perhaps a rough rider squad along with a leman russ
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that could be a great addition! just watch out for deepstriking meltaguns/fusion blasters with the tank (a risk you take when including prime targets such as tanks)

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer knoll
    that could be a great addition! just watch out for deepstriking meltaguns/fusion blasters with the tank (a risk you take when including prime targets such as tanks)
    Use your squads and terrain to make this impossible by causing him to have a high chance of crash landing his deepstrike or simply scattering too far away to have much effect.

That is, if you place that much value on your tanks. Don't forget that the tanks are like Carnifexes, big scary bullet magnets. Your infantry is what's going to generally win you the game.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

+ Reply to Thread