Fighting Grey Knights....with chainswords. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Fighting Grey Knights....with chainswords.

Hi, I'm not sure where this should go since the demise of the tactics and strategy area, but basically I think this is the best place for my question.

What do you think of the effectiveness of all close combat lists with powerfist Sergeants versus Grey Knights?

Basically I'll be playing a Grey Knight player in a couple of days, and usually I play him shooty, with Plasma Cannons, Vindicators and such. However for a change I fancy something radical, a CC army with chainswords and bolt pistols and try and surprise him. Hopefully with 2 HQs and a Dreadnought I would be able to cut through his men.

The basic hope would be my troops being 15pts and his being 25pts would mean I could win.

Does anyone have any experience of such encounters?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play GK now and if your hq locks up with his hq(grand master) in cc you have little chance to survive

but thats only if its a gm and ret

bro capts r way to expensive for what they do

overall your should outnumber him but beware of the cc power they can dish out

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

Sounds like a bad idea. Sure, no one likes psycannons, but GK are made to get into CC. The all have freakin nemesis weapons for crying out loud, which AT THE VERY LEAST increase their strength! The key to victory is exploiting the enemy's weakness while maximizing your strengths. I say shoot the %^%& out of him, or use castellans to push him into your firing lanes. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by RJSuperfreaky; July 24th, 2005 at 04:21.
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Regular GK don't have Power Weapons, just Justicars and up.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Okay. Attack his deep-striking Terminators with chainswords and bolt pistols. Watch in amazement as his 2+ save protects him from virtually everything while all he has to do is hit you and you're freaking dead. Watch in further amazement as the GM wades a swathe of blood through your command squad to fight your HQ and effectively trounce the crap out of him in one hit.

Sure, it'd be fun. It's like a Baal Predator fighting Tyranids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lst would pwn here lots of shots some with rending
    and you can use these to push him to your firing lanes

with tons of ****s he will have to make tons of saves and he will fail some
    but GK;s have a problem with high AV vehicles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, it was my understanding that the Nemesis weapons counted as at the very least power weapons for every single model that wielded it. Justicars got the +1 to strength and brother-captains and Grand Masters got the ability to use it as a force weapon. That said, it would be the height of insanity to try to take the fight to them in close combat, unless your numbers are high enough that you think you could afford to take the wounds they would likely dish out (they have higher I if i recall too), then dish back enough wounds to wipe out their squad. Even with my blood claws I try to stay out of close combat with those suckers....they're just too dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wallace-

your actually mistaken on almost every point that you made. In the hands of a normal grey knight in power armor nemisis weapons only have +2 strength. They are not all power weapons. In the hands of a grey knight justicar or terminator or brother cpt. they give +2 strength and are counted as power weapons. In the hands of a GM nemisis weapons give a +2 strength and are force weapons which are also power weapons. Also just the grandmaster has the I5 the brother capt is still only I4 with only 1 wound.

That said grey knights in power armor will hit and wound more often then space marines but you still get to take your lovely 3+ armor save. A sergent with a power fist in CC will do almost the same thing as a grey knight but better because for every grey knight that goes down it will hurt him a lot more then it hurts you because of the severe cost of each knight.

If your worried about terminators just get a couple of squads with furious charge and get some power weapons (possibly a chaplin for good measure) in the mix and youll see those nice terminators go bye-bye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah thank you Grandmaster Salem. I am not as familiar as i would like in regards to the Daemonhunters codex, and I've only played against Grey Knights on a few occasions. Still, I do remember my blood claws getting chewed up pretty badly for not alot of return wounding. I do thank you for repairing my misconceptions on this matter. That said, everyone, please disregard my previous post....its pretty much totally invalidated, but I still do maintain its better to shoot GK than assault them.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I wounder how well a nice vet squad with a pair of LC, a PW, and a vet sarge with a PW, the last few guys have CCW and BP, and the whole squad has furious charge. That would probably do well since you would have 10 power weapon attacks on the charge at s5 I5 and 3 of them re-roll to wound. Or you could also give the whole squad termy honours, too.... It'd be hugely expensive, but in CC it would run right through GK squads, especially with a chaplain to help.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast