Bikes: Why ever take the chainsword? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Bikes: Why ever take the chainsword?

I'm a Space wolves player, and seeing as I don't actually own the new SM Codex(yes, I know,... still)I'm just going to assume that this little glitch is only apparent in the Wolves codex(let me know either way) but in the bikes entry for the Space Wolves under the weapons options the codex gives you the choice to equip your bikers with either a Bolt pistol, or, a chain sword at, get this, no extra cost! Now my question is(and I hope the new SM codex isn't worded that way) why would anyone ever take the chain sword over the bolt pistol, and this is given the fact that everyone here understands that you cannot 'true grit' a twin linked bike bolter.Is there something I'm missing or that I don't know, why the chain sword would be better than the bolt pistol? And even the bolt pistol is rather useless, although, I'm told that it may help in line of sight situations. Please enlighten me.

" Are you gonna bark all day little doggy,
    or are you gonna bite? "

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want to shoot you can only take one of the options, either a bolt pistol or tlbolters on the bike. However, only the mounted weapons fall under the rule of shooting for bikes, not the handheld ones. an extra weapon adds an extra attack (wether it is a pistol or a sword).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by vindicator
    if you want to shoot you can only take one of the options, either a bolt pistol or tlbolters on the bike. However, only the mounted weapons fall under the rule of shooting for bikes, not the handheld ones. an extra weapon adds an extra attack (wether it is a pistol or a sword).
    Actually you need a pair of CC weapons to add the attack wich is another reason why the choices are strange
    or are you gonna bite? "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an assault marine holds a pistol and a cc weapon, one of the yet he gains an additional attack in cc.in the codex a bike is only equiped with tl bolters, and only the sargeant can take a sword through the armory. regular marines tho , dunno what about Spacewolves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Oh, I see, so they changed it in the new codex for the weapon options. I still wonder if it makes any diffirence for Wolves though. Hhmmm... :huh: :confused:
    or are you gonna bite? "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so there isnt really a difference between a bolt pistol or a closecombat weapon for a blood claw biker.
    if you cant shoot both weapons, TL bolter and bolt pistol. in close combat the biker get an extra attack for a bolt pistol or a closecombatweapon

correct me if im wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only get an extra attack if you have two CCWs. You can't give a SM biker (from any chapter now that the White Scars use the codex with traits) two close combat weapons so they use the number of attacks listed in their entry in the codex with charging bonus as applicable.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    You only get an extra attack if you have two CCWs. You can't give a SM biker (from any chapter now that the White Scars use the codex with traits) two close combat weapons so they use the number of attacks listed in their entry in the codex with charging bonus as applicable.
    Technically, this is wrong.

Space Wolves don't follow White Scars' example, as they're in need of a new FAQ right now, but their rules can still be used.

Not to mention that both Veteran Sergeants (given T. Honours) have access to the armoury and may have two CCWs/Pistols as well as an HQ on Bike.

That's actually what I have in my army. Every Vet. Sergeant has a Bolt Pistol and either a Power Weapon or Fist, since there are no rules saying they need two hands to drive their bikes.

So, yes, you can give a SM Biker two CCWs. But they have to have access to the armoury when using the SM codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, the Space marines and the Eldar are the only ones who don't need to control their bikes, apparently. Both the DE and CSM codecies state that bikers get no benefit from an additional CCW.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    Funny, the Space marines and the Eldar are the only ones who don't need to control their bikes, apparently. Both the DE and CSM codecies state that bikers get no benefit from an additional CCW.
    Funny, indeed.

However, those are stated in the codecies, yes?

In the BGB, there is no mention about needing two hands to seer their bikes. And in neither codecies does it state this either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast