some help against IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some help against IG

ok, tommarrow i plan on playing my friend's IG Armored company at his house. the board we usually play on is generally in a city-type atmosphere, although we're too lazy to play cityfight rules.
    What would be a good 1500 Black Templar list that could counter this?

i was thinking of being kinda shooty to begin with and then charge the remnants of his army after he was pretty wasted. Mabye getting a squad of 5 with 1 Plasma Cannon, and another squad of 5 with a Lascannon. and then a squad of 10 initiates with 4 neophytes with my Emporer's Champion. A squad of 5 assualt marines w/ 2 pp and melta-bombs (i only have 5 and no pf) Then i was thinking, maybe a termie chaplin with command squad. and a land speeer (the normal kind) with a multi-melta. do you think this would work? and/or do you have any suggestions? (i dont have a LR or LRC or any Predators yet so... )

and any suggestions as to what should be my next buy at the store? LRC, Predator, more Assualt Marines, chaplin w/ jump pack?

Last edited by Emperor's Champion; July 27th, 2005 at 08:33.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Up against an Armored Company, a Predator will work wonders. Arm it with a turret TL Lascannon and two Lascannon sponsons. When you throw 4 Lascannons against a Leman Russ, at least 1 of which is pretty much assured to hit, you'll be able to rip through them good.

I wouldn't bring Plasma Cannons, though, over Lascannons. S7 just doesn't hack it against Leman Russes, and it's overkill against Guardsmen.

Bring tanks. Lots. Why? Battle Cannons, especially in an urban environment, stink against tanks, because, if they don't hit right on, they only count as S4.

Dreadnoughts will work well, too. A Lascannon-Missile combo with Venerable and Tank Hunter will prove pretty good. Assault Cannons-Close Combat Weapon combos might work well, too, to deal with any Armored Fist squads he brings. Plus, the Close Combat Weapon and the Assault Cannon will hurt tanks too.

Devastators probably are a bad idea. He can peg a squad with a Battle Cannon shot that could easily wipe it out.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Broadside_Pilot]Bring tanks. Lots. Why? Battle Cannons, especially in an urban environment, stink against tanks, because, if they don't hit right on, they only count as S4. [QUOTE]

Not unles he has the Anti tank round Doctrine. Uses the Bs and No SCATTER :eek: If you know his list post it. And Take Meltaguns and Melta bombs and drop pods to get close QUICK!!! :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Guard tanks are only effective at long ranges and since you're Black Templar obviously you need to get close. The good thing is, Armoured companies lack the troops to keep all your men bogged down before getting to his tanks. Take a few meltaguns, close to his tanks, and light em up. As i remember, according to one of the Index Astartes, the Black Templar can take a vow that insures them to always have a 6+ cover save, this will come in handy. Post his list up, and you can get a little more advice then this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Predators will most likely be destroyed by a loveable Vanquisher or AT shell Russ damned quickly.

My best recomendation is Attack Bikes turbo boosting from cover to cover with multi melta's.

I saw a SM v's Armoured company game last night and squads of assault marines with melta bombs did especialy well. Multi melta armed infiltrating squads likewise.

Terminators are good, kill the Demolisher and Armoured Company lack the stuff to kill them plus they can take chainfists.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Hmm, I agree with the pred annoh route, however given this is templars, I would be looking at Attack bikes and speeders with multi meltas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Drop pod + Dreadnought.

I can't say enough for it. Nothing works better against AC than a drop-podded Dreadnought with lascannon and missile launcher in just the right position to blow the crap out of the back armour of all his wonderful tanks. Of course, you need to be clever and a little lucky not to scatter too far, and it is city area, so there is a high chance that you will scatter into obstructions. It's your call.

Meltaguns would be useful except for the fact that I have played Blood Angels for a year now and have almost never pulled off a decent shot with a meltagun, at least in a tactical squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i'm not too sure about his list. he just figured out last night that he had enough vehicles to do an armored co. I do know he has the tank with the crazy flamer on it. and i think he just got an exterminator or something, plus like 2 or 3 regular lemun russ's... and i've had bad experiences before with trying to drop pod on the board. you cant really drop into an alley without scattering into a building. and the most suitable place is on a road, which he
    usually covers with some heavy weapon teams in buildings.

unfortunatly i dont have any predators yet, so thats a minus on my part. and i cant get devastors as BT, only a squad with one heavy weapon.

yeah i'm kinda limited in guys. here's what i have to choose from.
    1 EC
    1 Commander w/ command squad (apothecary, standard bearer,
    1 Terminator Chaplain w/ termie command squad (i assault cannon, 2 chain fists, 1 cyclone missle launcher)
    1 Inquistor
    1 dreadnought
    1 Techmarine (the old kind)
    1 Vindicare Assassin
    14 Marines w/ Bolters
    12 Marines w/ BP & CC weapon
    2 Marines w/ BP & PF
    1 PC
    1 LC
    1 HB
    3 ML
    2 Marines w/ flamers
    4 Neophytes
    1 Land Speeder (MM)
    3 Bikes
    5 Assualt Marines (2 PP)
    1 Vindicator
    1 Rhino

Oh and for my dreadnought, should i go with the ML and LC, or AC and CC with heavy flamer?
    Last edited by Emperor's Champion; July 27th, 2005 at 21:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor's Champion

yeah i'm kinda limited in guys. here's what i have to choose from.
    1 EC
    1 Commander w/ command squad (apothecary, standard bearer,
    1 Terminator Chaplain w/ termie command squad (i assault cannon, 2 chain fists, 1 cyclone missle launcher)
    1 Inquistor
    1 dreadnought
    1 Techmarine (the old kind)
    1 Vindicare Assassin
    14 Marines w/ Bolters
    12 Marines w/ BP & CC weapon
    2 Marines w/ BP & PF
    1 PC
    1 LC
    1 HB
    3 ML
    2 Marines w/ flamers
    4 Neophytes
    1 Land Speeder (MM)
    3 Bikes
    5 Assualt Marines (2 PP)
    1 Vindicator
    1 Rhino

Oh and for my dreadnought, should i go with the ML and LC, or AC and CC with heavy flamer?
    I will say what from your list I would take and not.

EC: complulsory.
    Master and Retinue: Apothecary will do noting against Russ' shells. Limited AT, no way.
    Terminators: Yes, no demolisher means he ought to have problems with them, plus with chainfists and an assault cannon thier AT is ok.
    Dreadnought: Yes AC, ML or TLLC, ML and Tank Hunter.
    Inquisitor and Vindicare, big no no an Eversor would be good however.

Your basic Marines are meat shields for your heavy weapons, Plasma is pointless against ar14 however.

Definite Land Speeder, consider Deep strike.

Assault Marines and Bikes with melta bombs would be effective.
    The Vindicators gun is excellant AT, much superior to a Rhino!

Just what I would do.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play armoured company, and I wouldnt reccomend the sit and shoot approach personally as armoured company tends to be better on the attack then on the defence. and as for getting close, well that works as long as he hasnt taken doctrines like crush and grind and evasive driving, which can screw up your cc troops... if your gonna do it try using drop pods and assault weapons i.e. meltas... thats what I would reccomend...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast