Which is better? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

Which is better?

OK, so here is my question. Is it better to take a tooled up chappie in a bike squad or an assault squad? In the bike squad you have fewer men, but a greater movement, added toughness, an invulnerable save, better ( twin-linked) shooting and a heavy weapon that can move and shoot. In the assault squad, you have more men, no heavy weapon, no increased toughness, deepstrike, and shorter movement. So which, in your experience, is more effective? I already have a bike chappie, and will be making a jump-pack chappie soon (I like the new model with the skull helmet). Any help would be appreciated.

Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A chappy with artificer armour on a bike gets a 2+ invuln save.. ^^.

Personally I'd just go for the bike mounted chaplain due to the fact that bikes are pretty powerful when used correctly. 3+ invuln is pretty hard to beat. Prolonged exposure to attack leaves them very vulnerable how ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I would say that an assault squad is where he belongs, you get a lot more attacks to re-roll. Bikes are good at shooting too, and this is a good way to use them mostly staying away from close combat.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Assault squads are bounds and leaps above a bike squad. Bike squad = 5 guys who die to S7 guns just the same as assault marines. Where as assault marines are 10 strong, have DOUBLE the attacks in close combat and can have plasma/flamers just the same

If bikes were so amazing you'd see them in every marine army, instead of seeing assault marines in virtually every marine army. Plus chaplain on a bike is 25 dollars which is absurd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

From this thread I get the impression a bike gives an inv. save equivalent to the rider's normal save, correct?
    If not, could someone please explain why they get an inv. save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierced53
    From this thread I get the impression a bike gives an inv. save equivalent to the rider's normal save, correct?
    If not, could someone please explain why they get an inv. save.
    If you turbo-boost with your bikes, moving more than 18", you get an inv. save equal to their armour save. For that turn only of course, and only vs. shooting.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Well, the jump pack chaplain is easy to use effectively, but the bike one has more potential to be good.

Assault squad x10, 2x Ppistol, 8x BP, Sergeant w/ BP and powerfist
    Shoots 8 S4 BP shots and 2 S7 AP2 shots, then assaults, 27 S4 attacks, 4 S8 Pfist attacks, 6 S4 power weapon attacks (all attacks re-roll to hit). Kills 9.597 Space Marines.

Bike squad x5, 2x meltagun, Attack bike with Multi-melta, Veteran sg. w/ Power fist
    Shoots 3 S8 AP 1 shots, shoots 8 S4 bolter shots that re-roll to hit, 13 S4 attacks, 4 S8 Pfist attacks, 6 S4 Power weapon attacks, all attacks re-roll to hit. Kills 8.67 Space Marines.

The assault squad will kill more at full strength, but don't forget that the bikes have more maneuverability, a higher toughness, and an invulnerable save when turbo-boosting. Howevr, they are more expensive.

So for newer players, I would suggest the assault squad, but for veterans, bikes are better.

In my HQ, Currently Giving an Inspiring Speech to my Guardsman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    Well, the jump pack chaplain is easy to use effectively, but the bike one has more potential to be good.

Assault squad x10, 2x Ppistol, 8x BP, Sergeant w/ BP and powerfist
    Shoots 8 S4 BP shots and 2 S7 AP2 shots, then assaults, 27 S4 attacks, 4 S8 Pfist attacks, 6 S4 power weapon attacks (all attacks re-roll to hit). Kills 9.597 Space Marines.

Bike squad x5, 2x meltagun, Attack bike with Multi-melta, Veteran sg. w/ Power fist
    Shoots 3 S8 AP 1 shots, shoots 8 S4 bolter shots that re-roll to hit, 13 S4 attacks, 4 S8 Pfist attacks, 6 S4 Power weapon attacks, all attacks re-roll to hit. Kills 8.67 Space Marines.

The assault squad will kill more at full strength, but don't forget that the bikes have more maneuverability, a higher toughness, and an invulnerable save when turbo-boosting. Howevr, they are more expensive.

So for newer players, I would suggest the assault squad, but for veterans, bikes are better.
    Well stated
    ...And they shall fear the lasgun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

I've been playing 40k for a while and I have not found a time when I rather have a bike squad over an assault squad. The truth is they are not more mobile because turboboosting *must* be in a straight line and *cannot* go through any kind of difficult terrain which means it's extremely limited after turn 1, on top of that they cant move or shoot when they turboboost. Bikes also must take a dangerous terrain test when going through difficult terrain where as jump pack troops can merely fly over it *and* enemy models, which bikes cannot do ever.. Sure if they land in difficult terrain they gotta take a test but thats a lot better than taking one while going through it

The multimelta and melta guns are fine, but useless after you assault where as 2 plasmapistols let you fire anti-marine weapons and still give you +1 attack.

A few bolter shots isnt worth a 33% increase in points for all the disadvantages. Bikes being more mobile is a myth since you must have 25% terrain on the board which is quite a lot

Note - You can still have a chaplain on a bike leading an assault squad.. You keep the decent 5 toughness chaplain but lose the dead weight..

Summary - Bikes are fine, but they are NOT an assault unit which makes putting a chaplain in there sorta pointless. Tactical squads in rhinos with plasma guns and pistols can shoot pretty well too, doesn't mean you should be putting a chaplain with them
    Last edited by Kirasu; July 27th, 2005 at 23:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirasu
    I've been playing 40k for a while and I have not found a time when I rather have a bike squad over an assault squad. The truth is they are not more mobile because turboboosting *must* be in a straight line and *cannot* go through any kind of difficult terrain which means it's extremely limited after turn 1, on top of that they cant move or shoot when they turboboost.
    Kinda what I was thinking...

Do the boards you play have a lot of irregular terrain on them? If so, I'd lean towards an assault squad. If not, bikes.

Keep in mind that assault squads can DS too, so they've got a pretty decent first move as well. Just might not be on first turn necessarily...
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast