Tossed by Tau. Need help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Tossed by Tau. Need help.

New member here. My friend and I just got into WH40k. He started collecting Tau. I, obviously, Imperial Guard. From what I understand so far, IG can pretty much outrange Tau in most occasions. We played a couple battles, and this held true. I have 40 cadian guys. 3 heavy weapons teams (1 missile. 1 autocannon. 1 lascannon) and 1 Russ battle tank with heavy bolters and a stubber. First game or two he didn't let me use my tank because he didn't have any armor. We haven't quite figured out how much points things are worth (and I'm aware that depending on how you organize them they're worth differently). That's the hardest part of wh40k in my opinion. actually creating your army. Anywho. On topic. I get tossed all over the goddamned place. When I try to hang back with my 3 hw teams he walks within 30 inches and just rocks me with firewarriors. I hear tau suck ass at close combat so I created a heavy weapons platoon and an inf platoon to free up my men to actually run in and charge his warriors. They got ripped to shreds and ran off the field before they did anything worthwhile. Maybe I just don't have enough men. Maybe he had the upper hand in points. I need to check. What are some general strategies against tau? I was thinking of getting a hellhound because the only antiarmor he has is his hammerhead (which I kept stunning with my Russ the entire game that we actually used them. so both vehicles effectively canceled eachother out). More heavy bolters? Sentinels any good? Don't even dream of rushing into close combat against tau? hm? Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Hmm. Let's see.

We haven't quite figured out how much points things are worth
    It gives you points costs directly in the codex. There shouldn't be much confusion. You should select a points limit. Good limits are 500, 1000, and 1500.

When I try to hang back with my 3 hw teams he walks within 30 inches and just rocks me with firewarriors
    If he moved, then he can only shoot 12". He'd have to stay stationary at least one turn if he's not within rapid fire range.

I hear tau suck ass at close combat
    They do, in a way. Their armour/toughness can hold out for a little bit, usually. Just for the record, almost all of the IG sucks at close combat, too.

I need to check.
    Indeed you should! Unfair battles are NOT fun battles!

I was thinking of getting a hellhound because the only antiarmor he has is his hammerhead
    If he knows what the Hellhound can do, that Railgun might put the hurt on you. Just be careful. Also, the way you word this is odd...When he is stunned/immobilised, he doesn't just automatically recover the next turn. Read up in the rules for this.

What are some general strategies against tau?
    Heavy Bolters galore. MANY men to soak up hits. Few tanks in most cases. Missile Launchers and Lascannons to deal with armour. Maybe a single Russ if you want to chance it, maybe even a Hellhound. Imperial Guard, if suited for it, ALWAYS outgun Tau, no matter what. You just need to make the list for it.

Lastly, do either of you have the rulebook? If so, make sure you read it cover to cover! Very important stuff in there.

New member here.
    Let me be the first to welcome you to L-O! I hope your days here are spent joyously and give you a buncha neat knowledge to show off to your friend. Enjoy L-O and 40k!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau have rail guns. These are a real pain.

If you play infantry, you get pain coming at you in the pieplate variant...Basically a nice blast that will take out chunks of troops.

If you have vehicles, it's a nice solid slug that will rip thru your 150 point tank.

Tau do not "suck ass" at close combat. They are not efficent there and it should be avoided at all costs...Just like Guardsmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you can get some heavy weapon squads together as part of your command platoon, that'd probably be good in taking down his hammerhead or keeping it stunned and unable to fire. 3x lascannon teams is a great squad to have vs armor. I run 2 of those in my 1000pt army..they also help with broadsides and crisis suits which can really be a pain in the butt.

vs his infantry I find autocannons to be preferable, this means you can use it to fire on his skimmers as well as his firewarriors (ap4 is great vs firewarriors). this will give you some versatility and when you play other opponents you'll be thankful for the autocannons because the more you have the more sure you can be you'll take out all the enemies transports in the first go.

use cover. if you get a cover save then you'll see your men last alot longer and absorb far more energy from your opponent to take out.

some stormtroopers might be good since they can resist the tau rifles and give you an armor save before dying off. these guys can be good for taking ground but can be kinda expensive pointwise..still, very worth it though

hope this helps some, I have problems with tau too - they're a tough opponent for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

Oh, I've been lurking around here for a month maybe. I've soaked up some knowledge. Let me clear up some things. I know his hammerhead doesn't recover automatically fro stunning, shaking, etc. But I couldn't risk it coming back online. I kept firing my battle cannon at it (which scattered to the side every single frickin' time. the tank was pretty much useless the entire game), but it was my hw teams that actually kept it stunned. one turn I failed to stun it and it blew my tank to shreds. I'm pretty sure he knows how to use it.. heh. A very important question I've been meaning to ask though... should my heavy weapons be in units of 10? or in seperate teams? (as in anti-tank squads of 6 men with 3 heavy weapons or same for anti-inf). I understand that having them in with the 10 man units gives a lot of bodies to soak up damage. but in the end they're just bodies that won't be doing anything since the heavy weapons will be firing and the lasguns will be out of range. And for like 20 or 30 points more I can have 2 more heavy weapons for a total of 3. I think a regular 10 man squad costs around 70. don't remember if that includes the hw team or not. and a anti-tank, anti-inf support team of 3 heavy weapons costs like 90 something or 100. good deal if you ask me. And if they outrange Tau so bad the lack of bodies shouldn't be a problem... should it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

ah yes the Tau

i really like IG vs Tau (and IG vs IG for that matter), they're always good shootty fests!

things you should fear:

1. Hammerhead ordnance
    2. pulse rifles
    3. Railguns
    and my most hated
    4. Stealth Suits

Tau (when played well) can be tricky for IG. we're a better "shooty" army, that is to say in a straight up shoot-out IG will win most of the time. however, Tau are shifty and have MUCH more mobility than IG. and if you screw up and let them get in that golden 30"-25" range against you... you're going to be hurting!

what you can do:
    1. BRING LOTS (men, guns, armor, everything!!) quanity > quality!!
    2. HeavyBolters are a gift from the god emperor. they cut down Firewarriors like nothing
    3. Hellhounds are great against Tau, but make sure you also have some other armor to distract (LR) and always bring smoke.
    4. Basalisks are good
    5. don't forget lascannons for broadsides and missle for crisis suits.

here's how it works
    31"+ IG will own Tau. they really don't have much firepower beyond that. yeah they'll bring a few Railguns and perhaps even some other goodies, but IG will have MUCH more firepower.
    25"-30", this is were Tau shine. they're Pulserifles will put the hurt on anyone at this range, and no one else can touch them. if you find yourself here, either fall back or move forword.
    13"-24" IG brings the balance back to their side, yeah their just lasguns, but Tau aren't exactly SpaceMarines when it comes to taking hits they're drop.
    12" Tau are ruthless in rapidfire range.
    <12" when in doubt, charge em! IG actually has a chance against Tau in CC!!

a great anti Firewarrior squad is simply a HeavyBolter and a Grenade Launcher.

i like to give mortars to my command squads, they're actually very nice against Tau. and since i keep my command squads out of LOS, they can still do damage. and they're great at sniping StealthSuits and if you're lucky a Etheral.

the main thing is to have faith in your guns and the fact that you can take many more casulties than he can.

stay in cover and keep the trigger down

good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePorcupine
    A very important question I've been meaning to ask though... should my heavy weapons be in units of 10? or in seperate teams? (as in anti-tank squads of 6 men with 3 heavy weapons or same for anti-inf)
    You can't do this. Only a SINGLE heavy weapon squad PER 10-man infantry squad/5-man command squad.

I recommend you get more Infantry and put those HW in the infantry squads. Why?

HW squads do NOT outrange Tau. They have a gap-range (as I like to call it) of 48" - the Tau have 36" then it goes way up to 60". One pie-plate from that Hammerhead submunition will roast your HW guys..or the FW. 6 wounds vs. 10...yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should put heavy weapons in both line squads and dedicated heavy weapon squads. lots of heavy weapons are needed to achieve victory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

Ah. I guess I was thinking of the HQ support squads of 6 men each, Nemesis. That's the ticked. And I believe firewarriors have 30 inches range. Missile pods have 36. Which, by the way, are very annoying. What do I do against annoying Crisis suits that jump out of cover, toast some guys, and jump back in. I hear stealth suits do this too. I've heard a lot of crap about mortars so I'm really not looking forward to getting them for anti-suit warfare. I doubt they'd do a decent job anyway. Any other alternative?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePorcupine
    Ah. I guess I was thinking of the HQ support squads of 6 men each, Nemesis. That's the ticked. And I believe firewarriors have 30 inches range. Missile pods have 36. Which, by the way, are very annoying. What do I do against annoying Crisis suits that jump out of cover, toast some guys, and jump back in. I hear stealth suits do this too. I've heard a lot of crap about mortars so I'm really not looking forward to getting them for anti-suit warfare. I doubt they'd do a decent job anyway. Any other alternative?
    FW have 30" range. You have an abundance of 36" to 48" heavy weapons at your disposal.

Missile Pods have 36". See above, plus, they can NOT field that many of these!! Very limited.

As for JSJ that's the Tau way, lol. Tau Jetpacks allow for this. A good way to make him think twice about that cover is to get a Basilisk tank...and hide IT behind cover. Shoot that baby over to his Crisis Suits and he'll hate you forever. Plus, you'll outrange every single gun he'll ever be able to field.

Cover is not always there, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast