Combination of heavy weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combination of heavy weapons

So which heavy weapons do you use? I always try to give all my infantery squads a heavy weapon, and I chose for 6 missile launcher teams as support for my HQ. This isnt really enough anti-tank power is it? Should I give the infantery squads some lascannons/autocannons? I was thinking of giving all three command squads a lascannon and all the infantery squads heavy bolters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone has their own philosophy on this, but you sound like you have a pretty solid grasp on things.

One tip I can give is that Lascannons, will be a high priority target for many of your opponents. If you hide them in a regular squad of 10 guirdsmen, it will last longer than in a 5 man command squad (no to mention you probably dont want to draw attention to a JO that is vital to your leadership).

When I take lascannons, I usually take three of them in an Anti-Tank support squad in my HQ and make sure they get into some good cover.

I often use heavy bolters in my line squads because it makes more sense to pair them with lasguns. If you use an entire squad's firing turn for one lascannon shot at a tank, you arent getting the most out of the squad, but it makes sense to fire a heavy bolter at anything you would fire a lasgun at.

I think you have the right idea with Missile Launchers though, they are the most versitile (Krak or Frag) geavy weapon. You sacrifice one point of strength (compared to a Lascannon) in order to get it, but later in the game when you dont have armor to shoot at its kind of a waste to be pointing that lascannon at Ork peons when you could be covering them with a frag missile template and getting multiple hits.
    Last edited by GuardinGnome; August 1st, 2005 at 11:27.
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I was about to write a long story about HW Lascannon Teams and focusing squads on what they were designed to do, but GuardinGnome said it perfectly. Lasrifiles are wimpy, but I try to never waste a rapid fire on enemy troops.

You CAN keep Lascannon teams alive, take Cameoline when playing against shooty armies. Put other troops ahead of HW teams for CC troops and Rapid fire. Keep them back.

I have a rule of thumb for Lascannons, 3 ( one team ) for 1000pts, 2 for 1500, or i add a Vet squad or two with a Lascannon, and 9 for 2000pts.

Lascannons are our power play, we need to have them. I like ML in line squads if you don't have enough Lascannons, and HB if you do.

The other point is that Lascannons are the same cost in a HW squad, ML, AC and HB are 5 points more. In Line sqauds they are cheaper.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm atm I already have painted three missile launcher teams. Surely they are nearly as good as lascannons, so I hope I won't have to leave them on the shelf for the rest of my life and get lascannons instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all heavy weapons are good.

as far as missile launchers are concerned, you could put them in an AT squad together, give them jungle fighters and stick them more than 6" deep in a forest where they can fire out but cant be targetted by anyone looking to fire in to the forest - this is made possible by the doctrines ability to infiltrate. the best AT weapon you can give to jungle fighters is the missile launcher as lascannons are disallowed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDutch
    Hmm atm I already have painted three missile launcher teams. Surely they are nearly as good as lascannons, so I hope I won't have to leave them on the shelf for the rest of my life and get lascannons instead?
    Buy some extra large bases, and you can use the Lascannons that came with the HW Box, ( if that is how you got them ).

The Missle Launchers would work fine in the Line Squads, but IMO the Extra strength of the Lascannon, plus extra AP value, is way more effective in its tank hunter / Termie hunter role. There is plenty of AV 14 out there, and Lascannons are the way to go, a missle launcher can only glance, and only with some luck.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont have the jungle fighters doctorine... though I have less than 5 atm, so I could take it just for those guys. But I dont think our club often uses woods when battling...

Well, if both missile launchers and lascannons have their uses, I guess I will take three lascannons as my second AT squad. That makes 3 MS and 3 lascannons. I guess that can't be too bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can always cut out some blob shaped green felt and throw em down on the table with maybe one little tree on it and count it as a forested area .. that's the best way to do forests that I've seen, and it's really easy too, just some felt and a scissor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

the main rule for HeavyWeapons "use them". hehe

seriously, you want to put them anywhere you can!
    imo, buy as many HWs as you can and *then* worry about specialweapons.

as for what/where to use.

i used to love TriLas HWteams. but that was back in 3ed.

now in 4ed, i've stopped using them. they're just far to vulnerable. so unless you have a LOT of lascannons and can afford to put them in risky teams, i highly suggest putting them in a infantry squad (or at least a command squad, even tho i light to keep my command squads out of LOS thus making direct fire HWs pointless).

however, i do use all the other support squads (except motars, they go in command squads if i use them).

TriMissles + Lightinfantry + flank armor = great anti tank unit and since they're not on large bases they can get in those hard to fit places.

as for line squads. my views is that the HW determines the funtion of the unit. and the function of the unit determines if/what SW should be used.

Lascannon= antitank. you can put a plasmagun in there, but that would distract you from their primary function of hunting tanks. a lascannon firing at MEQ is a waste imo.

Missle = anti MEQ (and tank). combine w/ a plasmagun for a great anti MEQ unit.

HB = anti infantry. you can really go 3 ways with this: 1) Grenade launcher (great against Tau) 2) flamer (great in cityfight) 3) no SW (cheap but effective). some people use Plasmaguns, but i'd rather see them with another HW.

AC = anti infantry/transport. either a GL or PG (helps against transports). but i really like to use these in support squads.

imo, line squads should never contain:
    1. Mortars
    2. Sniper Rifles
    3. Meltaguns (those are for squads that are going to be doing alot of moving)

+ Reply to Thread