Predators with no sponsons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Predators with no sponsons

I tried using a predator annihilator with no sponsons yesterday and it worked out quite nicely. You guys should experiement with this tactic.

Pros: Cost less than a dreadnought with twin-laz.
    Moves 12" without having to sacrifice some firepower
    Better Frot armro than a dreadnought
    Cons:If it suffers a "weapon destroyed" roll you can only use the tank for shocking.

The reason I tried this was because I became so fed up with the side sponsons lack of LOS. Unless you use heavy bolters as sponsons, you can't adjust your tank to fire at moving targets without sacrificing valuble firepower. And many times my opponents will set up their units, after i've deployed, in a fashion where only one sponson and the turret twin-laz can hit.

Have any of you done this? What do you think? Questions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Well, if your turret has LOS then your sponsons should also have LOS. You can pivot in the shooting phase if you didn't move in the movement phase. The pivot does not count as moving.
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Depends if theres anything blocking the LOS of the Sponsons.

If a target is to the right of you, then yes, you should be able to use a sponeson, but only one =P

IMHO, I always take at least Hvy Bolters, because for the cost, you get 6 more shots.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dymew
    Well, if your turret has LOS then your sponsons should also have LOS. You can pivot in the shooting phase if you didn't move in the movement phase. The pivot does not count as moving.
    I didn't know you could pivot in the shooting phase. I need to get the rule book...badly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodinferno
    Moves 12" without having to sacrifice some firepower
    You're right, you do need to read the rule book. It's not a fast vehicle, so if you move more than 6" you can't shoot anything.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

I suggest looking at the diagram for sponsons in the main rulebook.. It was a rather drastic change from 3rd edition

Sponsons (no matter how they're modeled) have an arc of fire that passes THROUGH the actual vehicle and lets you hit virtually anything infront of you.. Ignore the actual model and use the diagram because then people would just make better sponsons by putting them at the front of a vehicle, etc..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirasu
    I suggest looking at the diagram for sponsons in the main rulebook.. It was a rather drastic change from 3rd edition

Sponsons (no matter how they're modeled) have an arc of fire that passes THROUGH the actual vehicle and lets you hit virtually anything infront of you.. Ignore the actual model and use the diagram because then people would just make better sponsons by putting them at the front of a vehicle, etc..
    Kirasu, looking in the rulebook the line of fire does not pass through the vehicle. Where did you get this idea from?

Line of sight is measured from the base of the weapon - where the weapon joins the sponson in this case - and because it protrudes further than the side of the vehicle you are able to fire in front of the vehicle. The angle may be quite shallow though so small units in close may be able to avoid sponson weapon fire.

Unfortunately this does allow people to model large or oddly placed sponsons but hopefully the people you play with are mature and reasonable enough not to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Kirasu,what are you talking about.I was under the same impression as Lleu,and i think its the right impression too.
    Cheers,
    Tycho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

If you apply the same arc of fire to something like a landraider you'll find that the line of fire will actually pass through the vehicel due to the land raider design making no sense.. Depending on where you put the sponsons

Also notice how even tho the sponsons on a model such as a leman russ cant be moved to fire behind it, the sponsons can actually do that.. My point is to just not pay as much attention to the modeling of a sponson

Same reason you shouldnt measure range from a weapon, but from the model because you can exploit that by making a 10" gun

Anyway it's not a big deal, I just try to play 40k without worrying too much about how a model looks and try to apply rules fairly without concern for modeling

+ Reply to Thread