starting army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: starting army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting army

What would be good units to select for a 1000-1500 point starting army,I dont want to be spending like 300$ though, can anyone help me out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by the ANGRY spartan
    What would be good units to select for a 1000-1500 point starting army,I dont want to be spending like 300$ though, can anyone help me out?
    Heh.

If you don't want to be spending roughly $300 then you're playing the wrong game, friend. Especially if you're going 1500 pts and above.

My 1000 pt. Eldar army has 21 models in it and I have to pay nearly $300. Of course, I have an expensive army..

Anyways, I recommend you get the first things you need:

1 HQ
    2 Troops

Then, from there, branch out. What do you want? More men? Tanks? Elite choices?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Nemesis hit the nail on the head. Putting together a 1k-1.5k force for under 300 dollars is probably a difficult, if impossible endeavor. However, I'm gonna try and put together a standard list for you as cheaply as possible.

As Nemesis pointed out, you've got to start with your required HQ and two Troop choices. In the Imperial Guard, that translates to a required HQ Command Squad, a platoon Command Section, two Infantry Squads, and an Armored Fist squad mounted in a Chimera. That's probably the cheapest way (in terms of points and models) to fill out your requirements unless you get into using Doctrines and such. Since those are more advanced armies, we'll stick with a standard, vanilla force here. Now lets break down what we need to make those units.

HQ Command Squad--Officer plus 4 guardsmen, total of 5 models.
    Platoon Command Squad--Officer plus 4 guardsmen, total of 5 models.
    Two Infantry Squads--2 sergeants plus 18 guardsmen, total of 20 models.
    Armored Fist Squad--Sergeant, 9 guardsmen, and a Chimera. Total of 10 models plus one vehicle.

For a grand total of 40 infantry models and your one vehicle. As you can see, the smallest Imperial Guard force still has a definite weight of numbers. But as Stalin once said, "Quantity has a quality all of its own." However, that basic starting block will rack up at least 400 or so points without any upgrades of its own, so it gives you a good core to the army that you'll strengthen through upgrades, and then expand upon with other units.

So what will this core cost you in monetary terms? About $120 at GW prices. A significant investment, but not overly expensive as far as Warhammer is concerned. That price comes from buying two Cadian (or Catachan, your preference) infantry boxes, and the "Imperial Guard and Chimera" (ie Armored Fist squad) box, at 35 dollars per infantry box (for 20 guys) and 50 dollars for the Guard + Chimera box (10 infantry plus the Chimera transport). The infantry boxes come with sergeant pieces that could also be used to represent your officers, which eliminates the need to go out and buy the metal figures (at ten dollars for two models). Another bonus of the infantry boxes is that they contain special weapons (4 flamers in the Cadian and Catachan boxes, and an additional 4 grenade launchers in the Cadian box). The Armored Fist squad will likely come with 2 flamers and 2 grenade launchers. This'll allow you to add even more punch to your force (as well as bulking up its points total) without buying additional pieces. Also if you've been counting, you noticed that I only specified a minimum of 40 infantry pieces, and you've got 50. That means an additional squad for your infantry platoon and more potential to squeeze in special and heavy weapons.

Before coming up with a army list, I'd recommend one more purchase (though this is purely optional, to strengthen the force), and that would be a box of Heavy Weapons Teams of whichever type of infantry you prefer (Cadian or Catachan). These excellent boxes come with 6 plastic guardsmen, and 3 of every heavy weapon type in the guard arsennel (mortar, heavy bolter, autocannon, missile launcher, and lascannon). The box says how there's enough there to make 3 heavy weapon teams, however the clever builder can assemble substantially more. Pairing one crouching guardsman with a normal standing one to represent the loader doubles the number of teams you can field to 6. The weapons themselves can support this number of teams, since there are three tripod mounts (used for heavy bolters, autocannons, and lascannons) and three bipod mounts (used for mortars and missile launchers). Personally what I do is make three weapon teams like above, and glue only the tripod mount down, without the gun glued in. This allows you to switch between lascannon, autocannon, or heavy bolter. For additional heavy weapon teams, you can make a guardsman laying down or position them near a piece of rubble (made from plastic sprue, more free stuff) or other piece of terrain, with a gun propped up on it. I don't think that autocannons or lascannons look particularly good this way, but the heavy bolter looks perfect, like a squad-carried heavy machine gun from the present time. If you choose this path, you can have 3 heavy bolter teams, and 3 teams that can switch between lascannons or autocannons. And you still have the bipod-mounted weapons left! Personally I think you can save on bipods by not adding them to missile launchers. They look perfectly acceptable as is, mounted on guardsmen who could be crouching orstanding. So you could use the full three to make mortars if you so desire, but they aren't very popular weapons with Guard players. Alternately, you could glue the bipods to the underside of the heavy bolter with a little cutting, and add even more to the propped up machine gun look. Other ideas include having a guardsman carrying a mortar on a sling, to save on parts and get more heavy weapons. As you can see, these boxes are designed for converting and building with creativity. If you really work at it, you could actually build all 15 weapons provided in the box just by adding in extra guardsmen for crew. 35 dollars for up to 15 heavy weapons is one hell of a bargain. GW did right by this box, thankfully. Try some things out and see what you like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with all that said, lets see about building you an army list. I'm going to utilize the heavy weapons box in here, because heavy weapons are kind of a necessity in Imperial Guard forces, and hopefully the above was more than enough to convince you to add this to your shopping list. Here goes...

HQ
    Command Squad--Senior Officer, 2 Guardsmen with grenade launchers, mortar heavy weapon crew. (81 pts)

Troops
    Infantry Platoon Command Squad--Junior Officer, 2 Guardsmen with grenade launchers, heavy bolter weapon crew. (66 pts)
    Infantry Squad 1--Sergeant, Guardsman with grenade launcher, autocannon heavy weapon crew, and 6 guardsmen with lasguns. (83 pts)
    Infantry Squad 2--Sergeant, Guardsman with grenade launcher, autocannon heavy weapon crew, and 6 guardsmen with lasguns. (83 pts)
    Infantry Squad 3--Sergeant, Guardsman with grenade launcher, autocannon heavy weapon crew, and 6 guardsmen with lasguns. (83 pts)

Armored Fist Squad--Sergeant, Guardsman with grenade launcher, heavy bolter weapon crew, and 6 guardsmen with lasguns. (78 pts)
    Chimera Transport--Turret multilaser and hull-mounted heavy bolter. (85 pts)

That list comes out to 559 points, with some more room for upgrades, at a cost of around 150 dollars. To further expand on it, I'd look to buy another box or two of infantry (for more men, whether an extra squad or two, an additional platoon, or conscripts), another box of heavy weapons (to equip your new men and/or make heavy weapon support squads), and at least one Leman Russ Battle Tank. After the basic Guard infantry, the Leman really is the staple of the Guard, and I wouldn't have a 1,000 point list without at least one. Other useful units you can look at to expand are the Basilisk, Hellhound, Sentinel, or Storm Troopers. Also if you want a small modelling challenge, take a stab at making a Hardened Veterans squad. Its only as difficult to make as you want it to be, and they add considerable weight of firepower to any Guard army, all at a BS of 4.

The final bit of wisdom I can impart to you on building an army is this: don't rely strictly on GW or your local hobby store to obtain it. If you don't already have an account on ebay, I'd get one. Typing "Warhammer 40k" into ebay will yield thousands of results, and "Imperial Guard" will get you at least several hundred. Pieces are sold there nonstop, in new or used condition. Plenty of sellers sell new boxes that are unopened, for less than GW prices. Previously owned can be even cheaper. Best advice I can give is to keep a window open with the Games Workshop online catalogue while browsing around for things you need for your newest additions to your army. If you can get something on ebay for less than the GW price (I include shipping and handling for the item in with its cost) and save a couple bucks, more power to you. Nothing like seeing that a Leman Russ costs 35 dollars at the hobby store, or that plus shipping and handling to order from GW, and then having one come right to your door in sealed condition for 20 bucks or less. Its not an exact science and ebay isn't always cheaper, but the deals that crop up there from time to time make it all but foolish not to watch the market. And saving say 5 bucks per purchase still adds up over time. Check it out for yourself.

Hope this rather lengthy post has been of help to you, good luck, and welcome to the Guard.
    Last edited by Sokhar; August 3rd, 2005 at 22:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can actually make up to 15 heavy weapons from the Heavy Weapon Box. There is no rule that gunners have to kneel, and you can model stuff lying down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 5 man HQ and a normal platoon can be made from 2 boxes of Cadian Shock Troops, giving you an HQ and 1 troops choice. Your other troops choice can be filled by an Armored Fist squad (10 guardsmen in a Chimera transport), thus filling the minimum number of units you need for a legal army.

COSTS:

$20 Imperial Guard Codex
    $70 Cadian Shock Troops Box (x2)
    $50 Armored Fist Squad Box Set

Total: $140

Plus the big rule book ($50) if you dont have one, you'll need it. Now those are US GW store prices, which means that you may be paying more at a local hobby store, or less if you can find them on ebay (definately a possibility)

Keep in mind this give you the most basic legal army, and wont give you a decent point sized army... buts its the most solid start and you can buy and build as you go.
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just checked, and what I listed above comes to about a 500 point list (I got 483 without stretching the upgrades much).

If you wanted to spend more, Id recommend the Cadian BattleForce boxed set, which would give you 20 more guardsmen, 3 Heavy Weapons teams (you can get more than 3 heavy weapons out of them if you get some more large bases and do a little converting) and a Leman Russ Battletank, all for $90.

You can always stretch points by adding things like Doctrines and other upgrades (grenades etc.) but this usually weakens your list overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can never go wrong with a battle tank in your list. as stated before playing 1.5k with under 300$ is pretty hard. unless of course you tooled up your base troopers with alot of special stuff. adding the tank to the list GuardinGnome already made would put you around 650 pts. not many armies field 40 troops and a good tank with 650 pts at their disposal . hope this helps a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you go out and by the models, it would be a good idea to read the different Tactica articles on the forum (do a search, Hourglass has written a few recently).

Deciding what Doctrines you are going to use before shopping is also smart, the Grenadier doctrine or the Mechanised doctrine radically changes your shopping list.

Although you'll never go wrong with the shopping list GuardinGnome suggested.
    Last edited by Gorbass; August 4th, 2005 at 14:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, "When in doubt, buy guardsmen" You can never have too many regular guardsmen models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the heck?! YOU BLASPHEMOUS HERETIC!

Zap him!

I think that message could have been better put in a PM...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast