"New" Player -- Imperial Guard worth considering for WH army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"New" Player -- Imperial Guard worth considering for WH army?

Expostion: I got involved with Warhammer 40k whenever the original SoB stuff came out. I had known about WH for years but had never had any interest, but that poster the put up of the Canoness in front of the large crowd of techno-priests on the burning landscape go me to start an army.

Anyway.

By the time I had collected and painted an immolator, a Canoness, a missionary and a couple priests, plus the 5-sis Seraphim squad and about 14 sisters (I think a squad used to be 5 models? not 10?) -- the new edition 40k (space Marine vs Dark Eldar) boxed set came out and they told me at the store that I would have to wait until the new SoB Codex came out and until then I would be limited to the inquisition rules in the main book. :eek:

So I put my army in the closet and tried out Everquest. Oops. 5 years later, I just got bored of WoW and have decided to finish off my army and start playing WH40k for the first time.

--- End Exposition ---

Anyway, I like the way the Imperial Guard look and I thought they would be a good replacement for the poor Frateris Militia that are no longer in the rules, plus they look cooler anyway.

But here's what all this is leading up to (I guess this thread is also my introduction and "say hi" thread): Is it worth worrying about that right now? Should I be more worried about the Witchhunter side of things until a certain point?

What I have right now:

1 Cannoness
    2 Missionary Hero (could also be a priest, right?)
    2 Priests
    1 Flag bearer

4 sister superior (2 sword. 1 power maul, 1 shooting her bolt pistol)

around 14-16 sisters. I'm going to order a few more singles from the online store to round out 2 10-sister squads. 4 of the sisters are heavy weapons -- I think it's 1 heavy/huge bolter, 1 Flamer, 1 Heavy Flamer and 1 Meltagun (?).

2 Immolators (1 finished, one assembled but unpainted)

PLUS

A bunch of space marines (mostly the plastic ones from the SM vs Orcs boxed set). Also a bunch of orks.

5-10 Frateris Militia (some are really house Escher Necromunda figs)

I've made about two or three trips to the store trying to figure out what to do next. I can pretty much buy whatever I want, but I can't afford to make frivolous purchases (in other words, I can afford the army I need, but I can't afford the army I don't need).

Any one have any feedback?

Thanks,

and hi!

Last edited by illovich; August 5th, 2005 at 17:12. Reason: listed the canoness twice in my current army, plus typos, plus clarified my sister listing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really dont have to worry about buying more sisters, but I say get a thousand points of sisters and then start on the Imperial guard, you might want to buy two boxes of cadians, so that you can field some allies, by having two platoons, (you will need to buy some commanders blisters for the HQs) and fit in a Leman Russ it is worth it.
    The Predator Lingers forth. Suddenly the sound of several wipping sounds can be heard far off into the distance, a second later the once mighty Predator ignited with flames. "Sir what was that" The srgt replied "Its those damn Broadsides"

Hear the wip, fear the Broadside.
    Tau 2-2
    Guard 26-45

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Welcome, Welcome! All you need next is:

a) Codex
    b)More Sisters
    c)Exoricst
    d)More Seraphim
    f)More Sisters

That should set you up pretty good. Also Sisters are now 10-20 squad size. Parting word of advice: READ THE CODEX!

Good luck with Witch-Hunters and SoB,

Yossanrion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

might I also suggest using the other 'weirdier' aspects of the army such as the penitant engine, true its vulnerable and unpredictable but you'll enjoy close combat support that the guard otherwise wouldn't have.

Repenta are cool aswell and they give faith...I think.
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by bald inquisitor
    might I also suggest using the other 'weirdier' aspects of the army such as the penitant engine, true its vulnerable and unpredictable but you'll enjoy close combat support that the guard otherwise wouldn't have.

nope sry they don't Else they'd probably'd be hell to scary with the actos of faith also being used.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Lord
    nope sry they don't Else they'd probably'd be hell to scary with the actos of faith also being used.

Oh MAN!! Repentia using Hand of the Emperor---

Dang it! Stop making me wish for something I can't have!

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

hmm...

I'd say turn the cannoness, heroes, and possibly priests into an inquistor lord and retinue...
    (but then, i like inquisitors over sisters...) you can even use the spare Sis Superiors as Acolites...

round out your sisters to a multiple of 10 to even off to at least minimal squads.. (like 2 squads of 10)...

your frater militia can work as more Inquisitor retinue, or as Stormstroopers...

if you're not worried about a faithful army (workin faith points)
    you can always go with the IG and just ally in the Sisters...

the Codex for each army definately a major thing...

(Personally, I really like the CHimera and stormtroopers boxed set that's out now...)
    Pictures of the Smigs Army for your amusement....
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b390/Holy_Smigs/

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women"

"JESUS SAVES! the rest of your models each take a wound."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Imperial Guard are awesome in providing long range anti-tank(<24") that the sisters only get with the Exorcist.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of this:

colonel

Inquisitor lord with some tricked out retinue

Repenta

Sisters

guardsmen

Serafim (or whatever u call em, the chicks with jump packs)

leman russes

maybe a penitant engine

would be a very diverse and fun army to play ^_^
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Oh MAN!! Repentia using Hand of the Emperor---

Dang it! Stop making me wish for something I can't have!
    You can! Just add a priest to a sqaud, and AoF away! Imagine: 20 Repentia + Priest (w/ eviscartor) on Charge, using hand of the Emperor... about 46 Str 8 power weapon attacks, with rerolls to hit!

Yossanrion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast