Librarium Online Forums banner

how do i convert rough riders??

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Redglare 
#1 ·
i have been looking over the wide variety of things in the codex and afer i have esablished my 500pts core list (nearly there!!) i want to have a big unit of roughriders with hunting lances the only problem is they look like $h1t, they are one of the worst models i have seen i hate them that much!! what can i use instead, im open to any ideas i really like the bike conversions rough riders but that is way too expensive. so i am asking you guys how do i model rough riders preferably so they have cadians.
thanks heaps in advance
p.s how do they do in combat with the lances they seem to be a pretty formidable unit or am i just missing something?

#2 ·
Copeycat! Im doing that!

Anyway, the lances make them S5 I5, so they almost always strike first. The downside with lances, though, is that there a one-use weapon. After you lance is gone, you have to go around shooting with your crappey laspistol. And, theres onley a %50 chance of hitting something with a lance, and if you miss you still cant re-use it.

As for converting, buy some plastic wrhammer horses, some Green Stuff, and a Box of Cadian Shock Troops. To get the troops on the horses all you really have to do is cut there waist in half, mount the two seperate peices on a hrose, and then use Green stuff to fill in the big gap where his crotch once was. As for the hunting lances,.... I dont know. ;) Im converting them with shotguns...

#4 ·
Yes, but a lot of there legs dont fit in with the Cadian look and are....weird. Like, I saw one rough rider with skinney platemail legs. And the Rider was a Cadian. It was just wrong...

#5 ·
I went a different route. I used Cadian plastics and some high elf spearmen. slaped up choas rebreathers (backpacks) and various bitz. All to make a squad of 10 jump pack ruffriders. very inexpensive, but not quit as visually impressive as a squad of mounted guardsmen.

http://www.freeih.com/imgs/RRsgt.JPG
http://www.freeih.com/imgs/RR.JPG
http://www.freeih.com/imgs/RRsquad.JPG

buy a box of cadians

bitz order:
10 chaos rebreathers
2 sprues of high elf spearmen (the sprues w/ the spears)

*optional 10 horse bases for tourny usage.

#6 ·
i really like those guys with the rebreather but i can just imagine people complaining about them i really like the idea though. this project is going to take a while for me it is going to be my first squad completely converted and i am willing to take some time on it, using fantasy horses sounds okay but i realy dont like the idea of it using animals in battle seems abit dodgey but im going to keep looking keep these good ideas coming :D

#7 ·
somewhere there's how to make riders on dirtbikes... but that's proly expensive....

personally, i was thinking get some 1/35 or so ww2 motorcycles and using those...

#9 ·
#11 · (Edited)
That conversion corner guide is ridiculously expensive but it's easy to cut down on the cost. Buying three space marine bikes just for the handlebars?... Use plastic spear-handles or rod instead. Missiles for front forks? Trimmed sprue! You get the idea. The only things you really need to buy are the jetbikes and the tyres.

#12 ·
Also, if you would desire to still have a ''mount'' the new saurus cavalry box comes with 8 coldones now, they can be great if you look for a more feral look.

if you still have faith in horses, the empire knight box or the new wood elf steeds are stunning, they could make fine mounts in this case.

As for having problems mounting the models, you'll ned to cut the legs and green stuff them into position, you might want to practice molding with the green stuff first, it's a tad trick at first.

After cutting the leg, cut it a bit shorter, and mold the pants in the angle you need to get the model siting, and add up the bottom part of the leg. To keep the green stuff part simple, shape in into loose pants, like the tau fire warriors have under thier armoured plates.

#14 ·
Xeno mounts are way cool, you get an extra attack and a better armor save, and they can look cooler than a horse as a mount. Once that hunting lance punch is gone, they will be far more effective in the following CC.

Can you take carapace armor and Xeno mounts for a 3+ save? Thats a tough unit to crack (for guard :p )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.