Librarium Online Forums banner

Just wondering...

497 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BoxANT 
#1 ·
Do you have to use the large base for heavy weapons, or can you model two guardsmen carrying them around, on normal-sized bases?

Oh, and another question: Why does everyone get a CC weapon/bolt pistol combo for there officers? Almost every officer I see has that. Even in shootey squads, they have that. Why? Why not a bolter or Storm Bolter, to better match the squads range?

#2 ·
1) I model my heavy weapons on a large base, with an ammo carrier based separately. I do have some autocannons and missile launchers on small bases. Missile launchers on small bases are good, since the entire reason behind large bases is "ease of movement," and small bases are easier to move.

For the big bases, I leave a place where the small base for the ammo carrier can blend in.

2) a) I suppose you mean officers, not sergeants. I think most of the officer models come with a bolt pistol/chainsword, and...

b) the officer's squad doesn't usually want to be in line of sight anyway; they are there only for leadership. If they are for use as a speed bump (I have one of those squads), or are for leader ship and thus unconcerned with shooting, then the extra attack and the two shots when charging are better.

3) If you are talking about sergeants, who lead line squads, then it is because the chainsword has chevrons on it, and it just looks cool. And that boltpistol is a laspistol, unless there is a conversion.

#3 ·
SlickWilley said:
Do you have to use the large base for heavy weapons, or can you model two guardsmen carrying them around, on normal-sized bases?

Oh, and another question: Why does everyone get a CC weapon/bolt pistol combo for there officers? Almost every officer I see has that. Even in shootey squads, they have that. Why? Why not a bolter or Storm Bolter, to better match the squads range?
You don't *have* to use the large bases. i use large bases for all my HWs except for my missles and a converted HB firesupport squad.

as for officers equiped w/ bolt pistol/ccw. i have the officer model that has that, but i personally don't use him that much.

I usually go with bare bones officers, i made a bunch that only have a lasgun. i usually use every single point somewhere else :( but if i have an extra point or two after making my list, i sometimes "splerge" on a bolt weapon for my officers... but this is rare.

unless i'm just having a carefree game, then i bust out the Powerfists!!

#4 · (Edited)
All my officers and sergeants have laspistols and chainswords, well... most, there are some conversions, such as the sergeant with dual laspistols (My favorite IG model so far).

There's no tactical reason why, I just like the models and I think its very fluffy, I might go for bolt pistols if I ever start using Vet. sergeants, again for fluff but also to set the models apart.
The same goes for power weapons, officers that arent just Junior Officers might get them to represent their seniority.

BTW: a stormbolter is almost 2 smokelaunchers, and the points are far better spent on the chimeras.

#5 ·
Gorbass said:
there are some conversions, such as the sergeant with dual laspistols (My favorite IG model so far).
one of my hardened vets uses duel laspistols all akimbo like. do you use them as a pistol/ccw or shotgun? or do you have haus rules where duel pistols count as twin-linked?

personally i count them as a shotgun since the stats are about right, assault 2 12" an all ;)

as for vet sgts. i find bolters come in handy ALOT more than a boltpistol/chainsword. i've been to chicken to invest the 5pts in stormbolters, but it may be cool if you put a VetSgt w/ stormbolter w/ a squad that had a GL.

perhaps a command squad w/ 4 GL and a JO w/ a Stormbolter... hmm... good against nonMEQ.

#8 ·
i use give most of my sarges bolt weapons in one form or another. it just give it some edge
u can use macrage weapons (i made a duke nukem guy with a stormbolter)
storm bolters u can use the vehicle sprue(since h stubbers are so much better)
i found a rhino storm bolter on the floor of my local gw(and a bolt pistol and gun)
and the employee said i could keep em

#9 ·
Do any IG plastics have shotguns on their sprues?

#10 ·
TheMusicOfCreation said:
Do any IG plastics have shotguns on their sprues?
nope :(

but there's an easy way to convert them. someone posted a guide not that long ago (w/ blurry pics..)

you cut off the butt of gun and trim off the top part (and laspack). remove the supressor and take the rifle butt pad off the butt and glue it blow the stock of the gun (looks like pump).

i use two laspistol since they're basically the same as a shotgun stat wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.