Sob - Troops To Best Effect - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK So I read Mels post on how to use the troops,
    I had a couple of 40K in 40 mins scraps, both of which I was impressed with,
    But the second one my troops were just not hitting enough, The serephim - well yes, they Obliterated some Necrons, Charged some marines and hit and run out of there OK but the shooting of the troops was attrocious and despite the serephim chargethe marine squad went on to beat the SoB squad to a small pulp, now despite the presence of a preacher in the unit, I chose to shoot rather than get charge bonuses, this was largely due to the fact the unit managed to end their move with both flamers stood at the end of a line of marines, but the subsequent storm of fire lacked any real menace (killed one marine - even bad rolls asside though it should not exceed 2 dead marines.

So my Q is this - shoot or charge bonus? (notably agains marines/Chaos marines/necrons so all 3+ saves)
    and preacher in every troops squad? if so just a priest or do we go for confessors?

Everything you have been told is a lie!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

It depends on the opposing unit but in most cases I would say get the charge bonus. If it's a squad of celestian’s or a faithful unit of battle sisters (which means to make them faithful they will need someone of the priestly delegation hence one of the reasons they are needed) you can use a faith point, ‘the passion’ it will get you a +1 attack and +2 initiative (as you already know). This is a great boost and a great way to turn normal sisters into ‘fast attack’ troops using shock tactics movements which will then furthermore help out your serephim. And once again the priestly delegation comes in handy equip them with a power sword likewise with your veteran sister superior. For any other scenario I would say that you should stick to normal preachers and equip them keeping the points low until your army is fairly balanced and then move onto the confessor's or missionaries. But when you have the points to spare load those f***ers up to the max, you can turn your preachers better than your sisters without to much of a points cost. If you have few battle squads then get a missionary or confessor in as you fill need the extra faith points. If you have more than 2-3 standard battle sister squads then keep to the preacher for points sake as the one faith point will do fine as you can reassure the squad with another close by.
    Okay there’s one part i don’t get here where your seraphim shooting at troops atrociously, or was it YOUR troops doing all the shooting? Okay either way in the first case I’m sure you know how to handle fast attack properly where shooting is not a preliminary aspect (although can count in the long run) in the second case well generally i think maybe a few bad dice rolls came into play. You can support yours sisters in their firing with the good old Redemptionits. Cheap and plentiful whom can give out a sunami of fire onto the battlefield if positioned right. However I warn you too, that their are high rumours that we may be saying bye bye to them by the time Witch Hunters comes about.
    Always remember when against hard arseholes with a high save like space marines keep your main army load influenced on the shoot phase as long as possible and then go for assault just before they close in. Although this is a lot more difficult when you have a small army (where almost a whole different strategy comes into play and you need to do a lot more ‘dancing’) it can be quite effective when your reach the 1500pts.

Also don’t forget to experiment yourself and finding new tactics. You’ll find what works for some do not always work for you. With the sisters (as you may already know) you’ll need to pick this up, so you get used to spot minute tactics.

Hope that helps, sorry about blabbering!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Mel, thanks for the reply, the answer to what you dont get is .. serephim tried one shot and didnt really do anything, nor did the troops squad, the 4 to hit and 4 to wound means with 20 shots, I wound 5 of which he saves 3-4 so I drop one guy (actually I had 2 flamers in there and they did diddley sqaut)

This weekend I had much more success against death gaurd playing in this area, drew a chaos squad towards a troops squad, hit them in hte flank with a serephim charge, did hit and run and got out of site, then had a single round with 8 (he had killed 2) sobs and a priest and a squad of serephim all rapidfiring into his last 4 death gaurd, the smoke cleared and hey presto - 4 death gaurd still there??!!! Damn dice, but I get it, with decent rolling they would have been oblitereated and the AC would not have waltzed into and through my Sob unit
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Closed Thread