Shooty =I= retinues? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooty =I= retinues?

Does anyone regularly field a shooty Iquisitor (HQ or Elite)? It seems like the squad ends up being pricey for how much damage it can sustain...granted it dishes out a LOT of damage in return but the unit as a whole seems almost Eldarish in concept.

Which configuration is most successful? It seems that 3 acolytes w/ power or artificer armor and the three servitors make a nicely effective choice. However, with the 3+ save and a bolter the acolytes end up being 4 points more per model than a marine, and their statline is pitiful by comparison. The majority armor rules ensure that if you take a round of even halfway decent shooting from an enemy squad, you'll lose at least one heavy weapon, since all models in the squad must take a wound if within range.

However, to combat this one could take 4+ saves on the entire unit, and thus could remove casualties from basically anywhere (although you'd take more of them). Even so you only have 5 very expensive wounds between enemy fire and your heavy weapons (and letting the =I= die before servitors seems a bit dodgy).

How good do these units do on the field? How do you recommend outfitting them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take a ISQ lord with Psycannon,2HB Serv,1Plasma Serv, 2 sages, 1 mystic and soon will be mounted in a chimera..

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Also t add to that, you can take 3 Acolytes with Storm Bolters and Carapace armor, helps if the enemy likes getting close, and you can use them as meat shields to extend the life of your squad.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

I've regularly used either of these:

Inq (psycannon, auspex)
    2-3 HB Servitors
    0-1 Plasma Cannon Servitor
    2 Sages
    1 Mystic

Inq (combi-melta)
    2-3 MM Servitors *or* 2-3 Meltagun Vets
    2 Sages
    1-2 Mystics (mainly as cheap wounds)
    Transport of some kind

I hope their uses are fairly obvious ^_^

I'd say that taking Acolytes and giving them armor is a huge waste of points - spend those points on troops which you can place between the Inq and the enemy, and you'll do better.

(and letting the =I= die before servitors seems a bit dodgy).
    Actually, if an Inquisitor dies, his entire retinue is automatically removed from play. So I'd suggest not letting him die ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

2 HB and 1 Plasma is a great support combo. Just make sure you take two Sages to get the rerolled miss so the Plasma cannon doesn't melt down. I also like to toss a Psycannon on the =I= for some added firepower.

I also agree that acolytes are a waste of precious points. Besides with three combat servitors, 2 sages, and a mystic there's no room for acolytes.

I would stay away from the majority armor rule whenever possible as it never seems to work out beneficially (for me at least).
    Last edited by LordCreampuff; August 19th, 2005 at 17:33.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Actually, if an Inquisitor dies, his entire retinue is automatically removed from play. So I'd suggest not letting him die
    Where does it say that? cause that makes it difficult to use any kind of inquisitor against someone with a monolith (because it can target any model with an AP1 blast that instant kills anything that isn't superhuman) or even the vindicare assassin.

Otherwise I say always bring the Lord for more fodder wounds, always take three alcolytes with bolters on the cheap, three heavy weapons, a psycannon, and some extra 6-8 points wounds, then just stick the unit in cover so that they can't get you with enough shots to force wounds onto your heavy weapons until they have gotten the chance to fire a few times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10
    Where does it say that? cause that makes it difficult to use any kind of inquisitor against someone with a monolith (because it can target any model with an AP1 blast that instant kills anything that isn't superhuman) or even the vindicare assassin.
    I dont have DH codex, but WH codex only familiars are removed when the big guy dies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

I seem to recall it being addressed in an old FAQ, but GW has that love of removing OLD questions when they post the answers to NEW ones. Ignore my previous statement then.

+ Reply to Thread