Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Like nearly every game the Guardsmen of the Imperium were pointing thier shiny lasguns to the opposite side of the table expecting the enemy army to charge headlong into their withering fire like all the other armies they defeated. Yet this army was different from the other foes the Guardsmen fought against he INFILTRATED. He was able to hide parts of his army behind a wrecked building and got his Choas Champion into close combat on the first turn! My poor guardsmen started to panic and before long the entire enemy force was in close combat and Guardsmen were being cut down everywhere. As CC is very bad for the Guardsmen I was wanted to know how you guys fight against inflitraging armies.
One thing you can do is make sure that your massive number of troops are spread out and can see places that would be advantageous to infiltrate. This will make them deploy further away.
here's a couple tips.
1. make sure you have not gaps in your DZ where a sneaky infiltrator could setup. this is done by spacing out units and making sure you have LOS to most places.
2. Set up a few units at the edges of your DZ so that you "push" back how close they can setup. I like using Sentinels for this, cause after the infiltators setup, you can move the Sentinel back so it doesn't get charged (free move).
3. As was suggested before. fight fire w/ fire. use some infiltrators (like Vets) to set up a "zone" in front of you DZ. set them up in the terrain in front of you DZ so that it'll be hard for your opponent to infiltrate close.
4. Use indirect. a Basalisk is nice, but sometimes they'll infiltrate under the 36" minimum. if you're up against nonMEQ infiltrators (kroot, gene, guardsmen etc) Mortars are very handy. I've pinned many o' sneaky kroot
5. Scare them off. nothing says "back of infiltrator" like a Hellhound
4ed has changed the battlefield. instead of infiltrating and deepstrike being a "once in a while" occurance, we now see it 2/3 of the time! we have to realize this and prepar for it.
the main thing imho is to have an infiltrating element in your own army. it's a powerful ability and one that you don't want only your opponent to possess.
To add, Mobility is good against infiltrators. Mounted formations that can move out of the way fast can help.
The most important thing, like has been stated, is the set up. Guard can deploy a lot of separate units, and if you know you are fighting against infiltrators, set up so as to deny him the use of your space.
Also set traps. "give" him a spot to infiltrate, that you will be able to pummel with massed fire, Ordinance, etc. Make sure though, the place is far enough away that if he gets first turn, he won't be able to assualt.
"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
Sir Winston Churchil