Librarium Online Forums banner

vehicle creation rules

959 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Obsidian 
#1 ·
i saw this site and thought that you should all see it. It is great.

site

enjoy!

#5 ·
Aye. It's close to copyright infringement.
However, it's missing one key item. The points costs.
That may be that sites saving grace from getting thier arse sued off.

#6 ·
yeah, but doesnt jervis johnson work for GW???????????????????????????????????????????

#8 ·
Pardon me for asking, but aren't the VDRs obsolete? I ask this because I remember reading (and posting in) a thread about so-called "tactics" for using a VDR-warped Whirlwind. I remember explaining to him that the VDRs are obsolete, as a matter of fact. The person who started the thread didn't take our replies too well and flamed those who responded with calm, logical posts. For those who are curious, the locked thread can be viewed in its entirety right here.

In my opinion, the VDRs provide gamers with the means to make two different types of vehicles. The first is that fast, fun to use vehicle that will likely do nothing in-game but is a hell of a lot of fun to put in game. This includes stuff like go-carts, dancing walkers, and mobile amusement parks. I'd love to use these rules to create a fun Orky vehicle in the future, something like a Squig transport or a 40k equivalent of a car remodelled on Pimp My Ride. Now tell me that doesn't sound fun?

The second use it to create unrealistic, unfluffy vehicles that would not exist in the 40k universe under any circumstances. This would include something like a Space Marine tank with AV14 all around and 5 Structure Points; a turret-mounted, twin-linked, mega plasma cannon with a co-axial long-barreled gatling lascannon, sponson-mounted, mega, titan-killer, twin linked missile launchers; Imperial Fields, and the ability to transport 2 Dreadnoughts/25 Terminators/50 power-armored models. Please note that the vehicle I presented here is meant to be a humorous exaggeration, and is not meant to be offensive. If you copy this design and want to use it against me, then go ahead. I'll just mop the floor with that massive point sink. ^_^

Now, remember that these vehicles can only be used in friendly games with an opponent's consent in many cases. This is why you don't see customized Titans or heavy bombers on the tabletop that often. Still, I'm not one to object to a fun little creation like an Ork Road Kroozer put on the table to race a Land Speeder or a Flacon. :D

Wow, I never expected to write a short essay on the topic, but I did. It was oddly gratifying.

Victorus aut mortis,
-Archetype

#9 · (Edited)
Wow, I feel kinda bad about that.

I've always wanted to make something like this:

Size: War Machine, 4
Type: Lumbering, Walker (6 legs)
BS3
Armor:14,13,12
Weapons:
Two Twin linked short barreled lascannons, facing forward

Long Barreled, blast, turreted Auto Cannon, Slower Rate of fire, mega

I suppose this would run me in the 1000 range?

Or my mech

Size: Normal
Type: Walker
BS3/WS2
Armor: 12,11,11
Weapons:
Twin linked Lascannon with Coaxial Twinlinked, Gatling Lasguns

Twinlinked Missile Launchers
This would probably be more in the 500 range.

This is more what they were looking for in Designs

MLRS- Imperial Gaurd
Size: Normal
Type: Tank, Normal
Armor 12,11,10
BS3
Weapon:
4 Long Barreled, Gun battery 2, Missile Launcher
I think it means I'd get 4 krak missiles or 8 frag
I'd pay 250-400 for this, no complaint.

I'e never seem the rules so this is kind of cool.

#10 ·
Yeah, Archetype is right, they are obsolete. These rules were printed in White Dwarf (I have that issue but can't remember the number, sorry. PM me if you for some reason really want to know), mostly so that players could use the Forge World planes like the Imperial Valkyrie and the Ork Fighta Bomma (this was before Imperial Armor 1 was released by Forge World), as well as giving rules to the super heavy tanks. Of course, inventing your own vehicles was a big part of it too, and they are some pretty fun rules. However, they were a great way to make up for your army's natural inadequacies (like making an Ork vehicle that's actually good :) ), and I don't really like that aspect of it. Graham Davies made a Khornate Dreadnought that was a killer in close combat because he was jealous of the Blood Angels Furioso, for instance. This example is pretty decent and isn't really an undue advantage but those rules could really be exploited. Guess that's why they worked on mutual consent (actually, because of that they're still viable if your friend/opponent doesn't mind).

#11 · (Edited)
I'm not so sure they are obsolete. I could have sworn they were in the last Chapter Approved book, and the only obsolete rules in there are the ones that new Codices or the BGB replaced. I mean, if the whole darn book is obsolete, then someone might wanna let all those poor Kroot players know that they can't use their armies anymore. ;)

I'm pretty sure that you can still use the VDR's in CA04 to make vehicles for use in friendly games and such. Heck, you CAN use them any time that your opponent agrees to it. Heck, you can use Rogue Trader rules if both you and your opponent agree on it, so I don't even see the point in declaring them obsolete. ;)

#13 ·
Foil you twice? No way dude, I'm surprised It worked the first time. :D

Oh yeah, the Imperial Armour books definitely replace the rules that the VDR's came up with for all of those vehicles. Also, the IA books are quite balanced. Me and a few of my friends have some fliers and other FW stuff and we found that they really don't unbalance a game too badly, but only if both players have access to that stuff.

But anyhow, I'm hijacking the topic here. I'll just shove off now... :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.