ordance question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ordance question

Well i play my friends IG army the odd time, very fun army and its a nice change from my army.

My question is, i dont see why ordance is sooo good. when ever i fire it, and since it has to be over a guys head i only ususally kill 1-2 SM maybe 3 guards men. for a devastign cannon this aint so devastating to me. and if it scatters then.... well booo!!!!!

maybe im using it wrong? what have been your guys result with it? cause my friends make sure there units are 2" apart when they see ordance on the board. so the effects are even less.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw forgot to metention my math behind this...

5" template... sits over a SM head who has a 1" base. so thats 2" on either side. and marines are placed 2" apart. = 1 hit maybe 1 partial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ord. weapons are very devestating, but there's alot of luck to it. If your aimming at the center of the squads, your using it right. Not sure what else to tell ya.
    Iron Warriors 9/1/0 (w/l/d)
    World Eatters 15/1/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It only has to start over the model. It lands wherever it scatters to. This could be bad, this could be good.

If a unit is in coherency, you will start off with at least 2 models under the template. If you aim at the center of a unit, there is very small chance that you won't hit anything and an equally small chance that you will only hit one model. Against marine transports, ord can be especially devastating. You have a very small chance of missing altogether and have the potential to kill not only the transport but also the squad inside it without the benefit of a save of any kind.

Getting him to spread out his army can have benefits as well. There are fewer models that can be brought to bear in CC. Unless the target is equally spread out, he can't shoot with as many models at a target that isn't directly in front of the unit. He limits the models that can be removed as casualties to the ones on the ends, especially if this is a squad with a heavy weapon that he wants to use next turn as he must maintain squad coherency.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

yes, a savy opponent can greatly reduce the effectiness of ordnance by spacing his men out and staying in cover

the frustrating part about this is that there's not a whole lot you can do to make the ordnance more effective other than target squads that are not spread out.

however, do not forget that the center hole of blast marker doesn't have to be "centered" on an enemy model. it only has to be "over" and enemy model, this doesn't mean alot... but it does give you a lil play you can adjust it a little bit to try to get another partial or another hit.

and remember, the edge of the blast only has to cover 51% of a models base to count as a hit.

but the main lesson to learn is that don't put all your faith in ordnance. it's good, and has (in one shot) paid for itself many times over. but you need alot of HeavyBolters, MissleLaunchers, and Lascannons if you want to win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are two other things that I would like to bring up concerning ordinance-

1. Shooting ordinance at transport vehicles. The ord. penetrating hit chart in the rulebook is pretty nasty, but the most important one by far is the roll of a 6. It seems almost too good to be true. For example, lets say you lob a demolisher or an earthshaker shell on a land raider full of terminators. If you pen and roll a 6 for damage, everyone is dead. Just dead. No saves. No being pinned. No getting back up. Dead. That is at least 500 points of his army gone. When you consider shooting at a rhino it's even more ridiculous- you could kill a 200+ point squad just by killing a 50pt rhino.

2. Pen. the transport or wait until they disembark. If you pen. a trasport everyone has to disembark immediately and they are pinned. Because they all must be within 2" of a hatch, this will clump them up nicely.

Those make ordinance a little better. Quite frankly it's still overrated, but it's useful nonetheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup yup yup, I agree with what heavy support said, and after firing at such transports it usually makes good to get a second shot in just to fry up those who just popped out. Also any cc army with alot of models when fighting ordinance will eventually have to clump up because its jsut too damn hard to field alot of models in small deployment zones sometimes. Also the big fear factor of having 'ordinance' weapons can be just as effective as it scares your opponent into deploying out of sight of the ordinance and into the sights of your heavy weapon sqauds... hehehe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by ^Heavy Support^
    There are two other things that I would like to bring up concerning ordinance-

1. Shooting ordinance at transport vehicles. The ord. penetrating hit chart in the rulebook is pretty nasty, but the most important one by far is the roll of a 6. It seems almost too good to be true. For example, lets say you lob a demolisher or an earthshaker shell on a land raider full of terminators. If you pen and roll a 6 for damage, everyone is dead. Just dead. No saves. No being pinned. No getting back up. Dead. That is at least 500 points of his army gone. When you consider shooting at a rhino it's even more ridiculous- you could kill a 200+ point squad just by killing a 50pt rhino.
    The only problem with this is that most transports are small like Rhinos, and you only stick your scatter 1/3 of the time. If you don't stick it, you basically can only go 1 or 2 inches and still keep the center over the Transport. So basically you have less than a 50% chance to hit the vehicle.

I do like to use this with my Bassie or Demolisher, when facing Landraiders though. Such large juicy targets....smiles....

Ordinance is not the only tool, but against MEQ armies it is the best way for IG to kill enemy troops. Too bad they don't make a AP 3 Hellhound, now that would rock!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxANT
    and remember, the edge of the blast only has to cover 51% of a models base to count as a hit.
    Actually, I think that was how it was worded in 3rd Edition. On page 30 of the Big Rule Book, it states, "Models whose bases are partially covered are hit on a d6 roll of 4 or more, models whose bases are completely covered are hit automatically."

So, as long as the template covers any amount of their base, they count as a Partial Hit, and thusly, are hit by the weapon on a 4+. But for it to be a Full hit, it must cover their entire base.
    Emperor have mercy on those who stand against me, for I shall not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterH
    Actually, I think that was how it was worded in 3rd Edition. On page 30 of the Big Rule Book, it states, "Models whose bases are partially covered are hit on a d6 roll of 4 or more, models whose bases are completely covered are hit automatically."

So, as long as the template covers any amount of their base, they count as a Partial Hit, and thusly, are hit by the weapon on a 4+. But for it to be a Full hit, it must cover their entire base.
    so in order to cover more then 1 full base u would have to be playing a rookie. u can space ur guys out 2" a guys base is 1" therfore is basically impossible to hit 2 full guys unless they are clumped together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast