Multi Meltas on foot - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multi Meltas on foot

I've used multimeltas in devestators in 3rd ed. and I haven't been able to find a suitable stratagy for them because of their short range and lack of mobility. What are your experiences with mulit meltas on foot?

Note: we all know about mulitmeltas on bikes, speeders, and crusaders so lets just stick to devestators.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodinferno
    I've used multimeltas in devestators in 3rd ed. and I haven't been able to find a suitable stratagy for them because of their short range and lack of mobility. What are your experiences with mulit meltas on foot?

Note: we all know about mulitmeltas on bikes, speeders, and crusaders so lets just stick to devestators.
    Well, not Devestators, but anyways.

I don't find 24" to be a super-short range .. I find it to be about average range, personally. Plus, if you think about it, things like Plasma/Meltaguns are shorter range even when "mobile" ... so. ^_^

I personally am using two MM's in my Tactical squads (one per squad) in Drop Pods in my Raven Guard army. Haven't seen how they'll do just yet but I have a feeling they'll do reasonably well. Why?

Well, several reasons:

1) After the turn they DS in, that's a 24" Melta weapon most likely within range of any enemy armour.

2) It's also an 8-man Tactical squad.

3) That squad also has cover in the form of a Drop Pod.

4) Which, added together, means either a huge distraction for my 300-some point Assault Squads, or it's ignored completely and will, well, teach the enemy a lesson.

As for on-foot and without Infiltrate or Deep Strike, I wouldn't take them, most likely. But that's not because I don't think they're effective, it's because I would rather take a Plasma Cannon as I just like those more anywho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

The problem really isnt with the multi-meltas, they are a good weapon. The problem comes when you compare a devastator squad with meltas to a devastator squad with any of the other weapons. Fact is, for SOOO many points, youd better get something that is going to perform for you. Youll notice in my sig I recommend missile launchers. The main reason is that unless your infiltrating, weapons with shorter ranges then 48" WILL miss out on shooting opotunities. If you pod them in, you need to wait on reserves AND cant fire the turn they come in. If you deploy normally, your oponent will simply circumvent there small firing arc.

Bottom line, they arent bad, but 48" weaponry (or even 36" for that matter") is just plain better.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't have my dex with me so I forgot that you can have them in tactical squads, so I guess I should have included that. I like the idea of drop podding in a squad w/ a multimelta. I normally include a heavy weapon in a dropping squad because they aren't likely to get wiped out the turn they land which gives the HW the chance to fire.

Back in my noobling days I once loaded a LRC with a dev squad with multi meltas, didn't work so well. Maybe with multiple squads in rhinos w/ mulitmeltas it would work well though. Nice comments so far, any more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodinferno
    I didn't have my dex with me so I forgot that you can have them in tactical squads, so I guess I should have included that. I like the idea of drop podding in a squad w/ a multimelta. I normally include a heavy weapon in a dropping squad because they aren't likely to get wiped out the turn they land which gives the HW the chance to fire.

Back in my noobling days I once loaded a LRC with a dev squad with multi meltas, didn't work so well. Maybe with multiple squads in rhinos w/ mulitmeltas it would work well though. Nice comments so far, any more?
    I think the drop pod approach is a good one. Because, like, for a Marine squad it's still respectfully cheap, right? 8 guys, one with a MM (and one with a PG for me) ... if ignored, it can wreak havoc on the enemy. If it isn't, it protects the rest of your army (like, as said, my most valuable Assault Squads...) so ... they can be put to good use. Just 'cause they might fire a max of two times a game doesn't mean they're wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

personally i don't like them. they're just as powerful as the cheaper meltagun. but you have to stand still to use it

true, it has double the range... but you need to get with in' 12" of armor to make it worth it, other wise you'd be better off w/ a plasmacannon.

and who is going to leave armor w/ in 12" of a MM? they're going to move it 13" away. and then you'd be better off w/ a lascannon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxANT
    personally i don't like them. they're just as powerful as the cheaper meltagun. but you have to stand still to use it

true, it has double the range... but you need to get with in' 12" of armor to make it worth it, other wise you'd be better off w/ a plasmacannon.

and who is going to leave armor w/ in 12" of a MM? they're going to move it 13" away. and then you'd be better off w/ a lascannon.
    But it's fun. ^_^

No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

One thing the multimelta can do that no other weapon can, and thats fear vehicles away. If you drop pod that squad with the multimelta right next to his tank, best believe he's gonna move away, costing him a turn of shooting, or he's gonna stay there and be forced to take what you have in store for him next turn. Either way, the multimelta most likely will be able to shoot it anyway, unless its a fast vehicle.

It will be such a big threat that the opponent will have to consider the damage it can do and react to it, even if it hasn't done any damage yet.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you can also use traits chose see but dont be seen because you can get a nice forward position.
    "Battlecannon shells are falling on my head but that doesn't mean i soon will be dead nannanana" A tribute to that terminator sweet 2+ save.

And then there as those days when it gets hosed down with some plasma.......as it happened today damn you tau crisis suits!! :mad:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yay!

You guys came up with some GREAT! tactics and theories and I've decided not to sell my multimeltas. Thanks for all the comments people!

+ Reply to Thread