Playing To Your Army's Strengths - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always figured that to win at this game you have to maximise your armies strengths, minimise its weaknesses while doing the opposite to your opponent. If the rules are going to let you do something that other armies cannot, you should exploite that opportunity. I'm not talking sniffing out loopholes or being cheesy, more along the lines of why so many DA players have a half dozen plasma weapons, or why every BT force will being sending a couple of transports to your front line to drop off it's cargo of assaulting tactical squads. My question is, do you need to follow the mold to be successful?

Here's my example. I field 9 bikers in my BT army, 5 initiates, 3 neophytes, and the Marshal. I love the models, like the twin-linked bolters, and two power weapons plus the thunderhammer in CC with that extra point of toughness is bad ass. I do, however, have the option of putting on the table Assault Squads armed with storm shields. I've seen them used to great sucess, and i know passing up the chance to put a pack of highflying marines with 4+ saves is maybe a little crazy, but do i need it to win? Does that DA army need all those Plasma cannons to win? Do Space Wolves and the like absolutely need to Rhino rush? Where's the shooty BA's? Can someone take one of the tooled up, special rules chapters with out playing those rules to the hilt and still win more often then losing?

basicly it comes down to this, does one have to adopt its army's mantle of Assualty or Shooty as dictated by its special rules to win or does one have to go vanilla if they want a wider variety tatics?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont believe that you have to completely max your strengths to fit with whatever image your army is supposed to be (shooty or assaulty). I think that you can go with other army configurations and still win a large percentade of your games. For instance, my friend plays spacewolves and 90% of the time he doesnt use any rhinos at all. He doesnt rhino rush like many people say he should and yet he still wins the majority of his games. He still puts an emphasis on assault but doesnt do so at the expense of shooting, which he is surprisingly good at. So, in other words, it's not a bad thing to max your army strengths but you dont necessarily need to in order to win IMHO

by the way Im brand new here, so hello everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

yes my dark angels are made for assault and have only 5 plasma weapons in 3000 pts 1 pistol in a tacsquad 2 cannons for my devs and 2 pistols in my assault squad and my army also has 4 tanks only 2 of which are rhinos
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i play wolves, i love using razorbacks, even though i dont think i've seen anyone use it in their army lists.

when i'm using tau, i love kroot.

granted, i never win my games but i'm having fun.
    Warhammer is expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play black templars the usual assult army but no rhino rush since id rathersqueeze in another squad rather then 3 rhinos but im not always assukty if im facing tyranids ill avoid assult as mush as i can and just shoot like mad and even tho im a assult army shooting works thats y marines are great there soawsome at everything
    <span style='color:red'>-=Read the sigrules=-</span>

Closed Thread