A N00bs Army Ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all i would like to announce that i am brand spankin new to IG. With that out of the way i had some questions about some ideas for my army.

#1. I have been talking to some people about strategies with IG and everyone tells me to get buttloads of heavy weapons and to just stand back and pound the crap outta your opponent. I realise that with all of the ordnance that IG has this is probably a good idea but i wanted to make a more mobile army (not mechanized though, I still want some infantry squads to sit back and fire). So i guess my question is, what units do you veteran gamers think would work at taking the fight to the enemy and what special weapons would work well in that role

#2. when it comes to elites im kind of conflicted on what to get. I like stormtroopers because they are the elite of IG. but i also like ogryns because they are just big and mean. i was wondering what peoples opinions on the elites in IG are and what they like/dislike about their effectiveness

i know that these are kind of broad questions and i apoligize for that, im just trying to make the best choices before i put alot of money down on this army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just want to note that i have played with a friends IG a couple times but he made the list and all i pretty much did was role the dice for him. So in other words i have experience watching but not what was really good or not. He also lost all of his games that i saw so im not to inclined to take his advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where to start? i had an IG army years ago and im sstarting back up. So were both in the same kind of position. But, i have experience, i dont know how it combines with new rules but im guessing there aint much difference. First work out what each units strengths and weaknesses are. How they can be used and how U would use them. By reading up on them you will find out a lot about them and find what units you prefer. Theres no point in playing with an army if you dont really like it, dont do something b'cause someone tells you to do it, do what YOU want. If you want just lasguns in your squads then do it, if you want a sentinel to scout round and attack the flanks do it! Also dont make 1 army list, make dozens, or just buy the models and then choose them to suit your opponent. E.g if your goin to take on marines then simply go through your models and think to yourself: how effective will it be? if the answer is:"not very" then pick something else, its a bit more expensive but if your concerned about winning its the best way to do it. E.g buy each of the heavy weapons options you would consider taking. Thats how i used to do it. That way your more flexible and games dont become just a game, 40k is a strategy game, before and during you should be thinking about what to do, how to counteract certain movements or units. ALso if your really obsessed with winning, think about the other army, if you know the person your playing, think about what they like using. I used this to great effect against someone when i played with Eldar, even though i didnt know much about him, i managed to second guess nearly every unit he took. study other armies, think about what you would pick if you were playing with that army. FOr example, against tyranids, you know there are going to be a few big bugs, so euip you army with some lascannons and for the rest of the horde, take some ordnance, even if its just a leman russ with no upgrades, cheap but extremely effective(though perosnally id go for a couple of basilisks gainst nids. Oh yeah, remember to have fun!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never lost with My Ig i have drawn 3 times but I like troops with Heavy weapons in each squad. I hae a total of 3 Squads. I like mortar but I think I am the olny one here who does. You have to learn to guess the range.
    I take no more than One tank and One Chimera with an Iron Fist Squad.
    I am working on Orgyrns and untill I have them done I do take a veteran Squad and a Storm trooper Squad both effective. I let my Iron Fist and Veteran do what lil moveing I do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well in personal opinion if you want to keep your army mobile yet shooty opt for Storm troopers and sentinels. If you want to bring platoons still, bring two full platoons, one with nothing but assault weapons (this is where the command section's special weapon squad comes in) and one with anti tank weapons. The storm troopers are just there to exploit whatever weaknesses the enemy has, melta's and plasma's work well here, dont bother with flamers, your 100+ lasguns is more than suffcient to deal with hordes. Sentinels, cheap, can be armed with anti tank or anti horde nuff said. Maybe a tank or two, the regular leman russ or its demolisher variant will work. If you cant guess range dont bother with the basilisk, you would do more damage with it if you had the crew members jump off and attack in close combat than you would guessing ranges. However such an army leaves little room for doctrines, which is kind of the appeal of the army in the first place. Hey if you are going up against eldar nothing would ***** him off more than seeing 50 guardsmen hit him in close combat on a 3+. gl to ya
    You know what they say, if you dont like the weather in houston...go back to where you came from

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have never lost a batle i'm from the club in belgium de witte ridder a use a lot of troops two infanterie platoons withe 4 squads each and a baslisk put it behinde cover and two lemanruss and a hq withe 2 fire supports squads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the info everyone

i think i will probably go with Mrmeeper's advice it sounds pretty good and its kinda what i had in mind fo my army

Closed Thread