How to keep platoons chep? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to keep platoons chep?

Hi,
    my platoons are a way too expensive - almost 300 pts per platoon. I was wandering if you know how can I make them cheper:

Infantry Platoon Aleph @ 293 pts
    Platoon Aleph Command - sharpshooters@ 92 pts
    Junior Officer w/ CCW & Bolt Pistol & Iron Disapline @ 57 pts
    Guardsman w/ Granada Launcher @ 8 pts
    Guardsman w/ Grenade Launcher @ 8 pts
    Heavy Bolter team @ 10 pts

Infantry Squad 1 w/ Grenade Launcher & Missile Launcher & Sharpshooters @ 93 pts
    Infantry Squad 1 w/ Grenade Launcher & Laser canon & Sharpshooters @ 103 pts

That's what I use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Comandos
    Hi,
    my platoons are a way too expensive - almost 300 pts per platoon. I was wandering if you know how can I make them cheper:

Infantry Platoon Aleph @ 293 pts
    Platoon Aleph Command - sharpshooters@ 92 pts
    Junior Officer w/ CCW & Bolt Pistol & Iron Disapline @ 57 pts
    Guardsman w/ Granada Launcher @ 8 pts
    Guardsman w/ Grenade Launcher @ 8 pts
    Heavy Bolter team @ 10 pts

Infantry Squad 1 w/ Grenade Launcher & Missile Launcher & Sharpshooters @ 93 pts
    Infantry Squad 1 w/ Grenade Launcher & Laser canon & Sharpshooters @ 103 pts

That's what I use.
    i have a rule of thumb.
    don't spend more than 85pts on a line squad.
    and keep command squad ACAP (as cheap as possible).

so i guess it's more like ruleS of thumbS.

to start with you command squad...
    you JO is good ID and a Bpistol, not bad, cheap and effective!
    a HB team? hmm perhaps not in a command squad. i like to use 48" HW in my command squad, since they usually stay back back back or out of LOS. i either use Mortar, Autocannon or MIsslelauncher. Lascannons draw too much fire. in small games (not alot of command squads, i use mortars cause i don't want my squad to get shot up).

the GL are a waste. if you're getting w/ in rifle range, you're screwed already. you need some cheap meat, and 14pt guardsmen aren't.

and of course, drop the SS.

as for your line squads.
    again drop SS.
    what's up with the GL fetish? you must really like them. personally i'd rather have plasmaguns... you realize that the only time a GL is better is when you're moving and the enemy is over 12" away? but if you're moving then you're not firing your expensive HWs... so try not to move too much.

GL+ML..hmm not my favorite, but i could see the logic... kinda, both explode.. but that's about it.

GL+LC? nope, not working. bad bad combo. LC go solo in my book. they're tank killers. some give them plasmaguns, but i'd rather have a PG w/ a ML or a HB.

your 25man platoon costs you nearly 300pts... this is bad bad bad. if you're spending an average of 10+ pts per guardsmen... you're working aginst your greatest strenght, CHEAPNESS.

my average 25man platoon runs me 230 max (usually less). remember, qaunity > quality and you will find success!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

It's not hard. Lose sharpshooters, that's 30p.

Your unit's don't make sense. Why would you need a lascannon and a grenade launcher?

Command 58
    -JO, heavy bolter, grenade launcher
    Squad 83
    -autocannon, grenade launcher
    Squad 85
    -lascannon

I think missile launchers are required in large numbers these days, stick to anti tank squads.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I feel like I have to defend GLs a little bit. Especially as they're cheap.

"They're only better if you're over 12" away or moving." That's a huge percentage of the time! If you're under 12" away, you're looking at some big trouble, and for most squads, they only get to be under 12" away for a single turn before an assault hits. The reasoning being that other shooty troops (ahem, Tau, ahem) are going to be hanging back and shooting also. Especially vs. Tau, you'll find yourself either outside 12" or moving to get within 24", both cases where the GL shines. GL is hands-down the best anti-infantry special because you'll get to use it, unlike the flamer, which only works out some of the time.

Is the GL as good as a PG for smoking terminators? Of course not. Does it belong in a squad with a Lascannon? Of course not.

But to its credit, name a better anti-infantry configuration than GL/HB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I think BoxANT was saying the gl are a waste...on the lascannon squad.

I'm sure he uses gl with heavy bolters or in some remnants.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

If the GL was 6pts, i'd use them more often. but for 2pts more you can get a PG, which most of the time is a much better choice.

if the enemy is 18" away or less, i'd rather have a PG. either standing still and firing PG+HW or moving and rapidfiring everything. either way the PG would be a better choice against most foes.

if the enemy is between 18" and 24" away, i'd still rather have a PG.

what is said before that a GL is only better if you *are* moving AND the enemy is over 12" (and under 24") *after* you've moved. obviously the GL is better here simply because a PG wouldn't be able to hit.

however, you could of stood still and fired the PG + HW unless the enemy was over 24".

do i use GL? yes, sometimes. they're not bad against nonMEQ armies. but if you're fighting MEQ and or making a "take all" list, the PG is the superior choice imo.

and yes, never pair a GL w/ a LC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Boxant, you can't have your infantry squads costing you so many points. My infantry platoon has 35 people and costs me 276 pts. Also my junior officer compliments his platoon with the ld. radius and iron discipline. Try having dirt cheap soldiers and use the IG's greatest power: numbers. Lose the GLs you don't need them, especialy in the lascannon squad. give your line troops plasma or melta, the most comman enemy we fight is some sort of power armored foe. Turn em to slag with plasma and melta ^_^ , and make sure you lose the Sharpshooters while your at it . Hope this helps

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Aye. I don't think we can mention this enough times. Our strenght is lots of dirt cheap squads. The loss of one squad will hut a marine player alot, the loss of one squad of guardsmen shouldn't cost you more than 90p at most. Boxant doesn't like using vox from what i've read here, so he can press his squads down to 85p. I am tempted to do the same, only keeping a minimal vox network for those squads who will stay outside the 12" radius of my officers such as armoured fists any deepstriking units and of course any infiltrating units. Sure, standing close to your officers is great, but you need something to move and claim those quarters and objectives and if you intend to keep what you've claimed you'll want more than ld7 just to be safe.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

+ Reply to Thread