Librarium Online Forums banner

Modelling Plasma burns

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  smguy 
#1 ·
My DA army is heavy on plasma, and, following my philosophy, they are as deadly to themselves as to the enemy. So i was wondering how i should model plasma burns? actually melting the model would be cool, but may prove disasterous.Any ideas?

#2 ·
well, after you paint them, you could light a match, and put it near the joints/ armor. YOu could also find some chemical(like nail-polish remover(I think)) that melt plastic, and apply it to specific areas in small quantities, until you get the desired effect, then paint it black, with some orange/red to make it smoulder.

#4 ·
Yeah, just use some of the melty glue. That works good and if you do it after you paint it adds the effect of te paint melting in that area so it looks warped. That works with normal super glue too but you end up with a more crusty model than a melty model.

#5 ·
What's your paint scheme? If it's a light color then you could paint black streaking up the arms like a burn mark. Also (I did this with some gaunts I didn't want ;) ) you can light a candle, take a needle, put the end half in the fire to get it red-hot then roll it along the arms to show some melting. This technique works great. Like two minutes into a gaunt and I had burned a hole all the way through it like this. :lol:

#8 ·
My cousin heats up a piece of metal like copper or something with a soldering iron, and then he uses that to make the burn mark its more effective than the glue or wahtever that leave some residue behind, try it on some old models you dont want first though to ge tthe hang of it its really effective :) good luck

#10 ·
you could try using an actual chemical that is corrisive.
but then again to someone whos hestiant to playy with fire hadle viotile chemical might not be your thing.(Then again super glue gw sells isnt exactly heatlh friendly either)

#11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm building a standard DA army, with the normal colour scheme. The way my army is structured, a lot of it will overheat and explode, so I want to represent close shaves, or not-so-close-shaves-but-saved-by-apothecary. These all sound great, if i produce any good models i will post pics online.

#12 ·
I just got an idea! For one of your plasma cannon models, you know how they can be posed to they bend over and look down the gun? Well, you could have one guy without a helmet on. Then you could have a helmet hanging from his belt. But the twist is that the right side of his helmet is partly melted away. You can do this easily by drilling the helmet so that it is hollow then using a hot need to melt away some of the right side. I might even use this on some of my models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.