Anyone use Orbital Strike? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone use Orbital Strike?

Does anyone use orbital strike? I realize it really makes a difference what kind of terrain you have on the board, but it seems like a great option, especially vs armies with good range like Tau.

I was thinking that if there was a nice big piece of terrain in the enemy deployment zone it would be a nice way to get those guys slogging for you, and maybe you could take out a tank in the beginning if you were lucky... :mellow:

Now a surgeon cuts off rotten limbs; and mangy sheep are isolated from the healthy; but a prudent Judge will not consider it safe to bind himself down to one invariable rule in his method of dealing with a prisoner who is endowed with a witch's power of taciturnity, and whose silence he is unable to overcome. For if the sons of darkness were to become accustomed to one general rule they would provide means of evading it as a well-known snare set for their destruction. - Malleus Maleficarum , part III.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its good, but not reliable. so thats why i dont use it. but i might try one day....one day maybe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

well, the biggest problem in the WH HS range is that there are to many REALLY cool HS choices which are more reliable then the OS. MAybe in low points, but you also MUST take a =I= which doesn't have to be a problem, but which can be a annoying saide affect.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, an Orbital Strike is really good for certain things and miserable for others. You have to figure it into your strategy just like any other unit/weapon. For instance, if you're fighting somebody who likes to put heavy support on hilltops/buildings and have them pound away at you from long range, an Orbital Strike will almost certainly ruin his day -- if his heavies aren't wiped out by the first blast, they'll move to try and get out of range for a couple turns and be unable to fire. If you know you're going to be playing a game type that involves defending a central objective, you could target the strike at that objective and then if the enemy takes it you call down the orbital strike to try and wreck his scoring units. Basically, any time you think the enemy is going to congregate their forces around a landmark, especially if they're compelled to sit still on it, an Orbital Strike will screw them big time. If you expect the game to be highly mobile, you're better off going with a Heavy Support that you can switch targets with.

--Ditchdigger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger
    Well, an Orbital Strike is really good for certain things and miserable for others. You have to figure it into your strategy just like any other unit/weapon. For instance, if you're fighting somebody who likes to put heavy support on hilltops/buildings and have them pound away at you from long range, an Orbital Strike will almost certainly ruin his day -- if his heavies aren't wiped out by the first blast, they'll move to try and get out of range for a couple turns and be unable to fire. If you know you're going to be playing a game type that involves defending a central objective, you could target the strike at that objective and then if the enemy takes it you call down the orbital strike to try and wreck his scoring units. Basically, any time you think the enemy is going to congregate their forces around a landmark, especially if they're compelled to sit still on it, an Orbital Strike will screw them big time. If you expect the game to be highly mobile, you're better off going with a Heavy Support that you can switch targets with.

--Ditchdigger

Don't forget if you use rivers and/or roads, you can cover a big peice of terrain with only the road/river.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good for playing tau and the like. Its good fun watching all the little shooty guys hiding in terrain being nailed down by a lance strike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the lance strike i placed on the board before anyone has chosen table sides, so if your stuck with the side with the lance strike it will be useless, since tau jsut stand and shoot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you chose the terrain feature when the Orbital Strike is "deployed" while you're deploying Heavy Support...? Then again I don't have my codex with me right now.

--Ditchdigger

Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plotting: The orbital strike must be keyed to a specific piece of terrain at the start of the battle. Make note of the plotted target before forces are deployed but after deployment zones have been determined. Word for word, so just find the most likely terrain that the tau would use, then when it comes out of reserve they can either die horribly or move their entire army at least 12" away from that terrain piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would probably work against the specific tau player I play against, since he tends to find a big piece of terrain and hide around it with his hammer head and crisis suits.

It would work once anyway :rolleyes:
    Now a surgeon cuts off rotten limbs; and mangy sheep are isolated from the healthy; but a prudent Judge will not consider it safe to bind himself down to one invariable rule in his method of dealing with a prisoner who is endowed with a witch's power of taciturnity, and whose silence he is unable to overcome. For if the sons of darkness were to become accustomed to one general rule they would provide means of evading it as a well-known snare set for their destruction. - Malleus Maleficarum , part III.

+ Reply to Thread