Show them the might of the Emperor! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Show them the might of the Emperor!

Well guys, IG are scorned by some members at my gaming club, and I;ve decdied to teach tme how good IG by collecting an army, and beating them with it. My knowledge is fair, but limited. I'll have the codex tomorrow probly.

I was thinking sorta this:

HQ
    Command Platoon (well, dah)

Commissars

ELITES

Stormtroopers

Ratlings

TROOPS

Lots of infantry platoons - with lots of heavy weapons.

An Amoured Fist sqaud

FAST ATTACK

Sentinals?

HEAVY SUPPORT

Basilisk

Basikisk

Leman Russ

Does this sound good? Also my fluff is (vaugley) that my commander rides around in his tank (the leman russ) and belives that using the divine weapons of the Emperor is the correct way to smite enenmies, hence the ranged outlook of this army. I have Commissars becasue I love the fluff and the models.

Any comments?

~ Yossanrion

Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Surprise, surprise, please don't let this be like your eldar army. IG are highly underrated and will make a nice shooty army. Well good luck with the new army.

AoS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

What Eldar/Dark Eldar/Tau army Gary? :shifty:

Can't wait to pwn Steve and Dibb w/ Pie Plates, Lasguns and Snipers. Wraith units no like Pie Plates and Snipers, heh heh heh.

~ Yossanrion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Well, this is like saying that I want a marine army with 1 commander, 3 tac squads, a couple of termies, a pred and a dread. How does that sound? You're not giving us that much information to worth with here. But in short...

Commisars aren't worth their points IMO, they're to expensive for what they do. Ratlings are only effective against high toughness creatures like wraithlords and greater daemons.
    Lots of infantry platoons? Minimum size is 25 men, if you want lots of platoons you'll run out of points really quick even if you naked. I personally don't like Sentinels, but then again I've never used them.

Double bassies look good on paper, but in truth your opponent will be within it's minimum range in a flash, I've only got one and I usually field another Russ instead. With only a a few sentinels, a chimera and a russ you don't have that much armour on the field so the anti-tank weapons/number of tanks ratio doesn't look to good. With IG I say either field lots or armour, or lots of men. An all infantry army will make lascannons and railguns almost useless, the worth thing that could happend is that they kill one guardsman. Same with bolters against a tank heavy list... they can't do squat agaisnt AV11+.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no-go on the commissar, they are crap. killing your own leaders with no remorse :mad: .

I always have at least two russes, lots of explosions and craters. plus 14 armour.

sentinels are pretty good, I use them a lot. but it also depends on the type of sentinel, I use mainly cadian sentinels(autocannon, with the armoured crew compartment for fluff reasons).

for infantry, it depends on what you want-large groups of barely equiped cannon-fodder, or small platoons of relativly good to excelently equiped soldiers.

for the rest, I havent had much/any experience with them, as of yet.
    ultramarines 3rd company-2130
    armoured company in progress
    Imperial Guard-1174

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Although I've never used Comisars, I'd have to say not to bother with them. At 40 points for a basic Comisar you could buy 10 conscripts(Which would probly do more damage)

Ratlings aren't really worth it. I watched my friend use them and they get pwned all the time. Stormtroopers however, are grand.

Sentinels are wonderful :lol:
    Nobody uses them because they have crap armour, but that serves as a slight advantage. I use 3 with lascannons and they rarely get attacked until they pop one or two armoured targets with ease.

As for your heavy support choice, I'd use a bassie, leman russ and a demolisher. You'll have indirect fire, medium range, and short range devastation. Using the bassie on anything in or behind cover, the Leman Russ to kill anything out of cover, and the Demolisher to take out the stronger targets like terminators or TMCs.

Good luck, and welcome to The Guard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go the Guard & remember that most people who say guard are crap dont even know what tacitcs mean *grumble grumble*. Im going to disagree with everyone else & tell you that Comissars can be good for their points. Are you taking Doctrines?? if so please post them so we can give you some better tactical insight. Also dont take double bassie & only use indirect fire against shooty armies e.g. tau, Damn forehead fingering freaks :eek:
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash 'eads, break faces and jump up and down on da bits dat are left. An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

Right, got the codex, time to make things more clear. Sorry about confusion earlier.

Dcotrines:

Restricted Troops:
    Storm Troopers
    Ratlings

Skills and Drills:
    Independant Commissars
    Iron Disipline
    Sharpshooters

As you can see I'm going for a ranged theme to my army, backed up by some good leadership to help me pbick my targters, and prevent me from running (hence the independant Commissars). Storm Troopers becasue they are just great, Ratlings to sort out those wraithlords and pesky battle suits I face (which I face alot. Ratlings are a blessing to me against pesky Wraithlords). Iron disipline to keep the line steady (and fluffy) and Sharpshooters to hit that more often.

Basic list idea

HQ
    Command Platoon, geared for counter attack in CC - Anti- tank, and fire support squads

ELITES

3 Commisars

10 Ratlings

10 Storm Troopers w/meltaguns/plasmaguns (either deepstriking or infiltrating)

TROOPS

Platoon 1
    Command Sqaud, geard for counter attack in CC

Infanrty squad w/ heavy weapon

Platoon 2
    Command Sqaud, geard for counter attack in CC

Armoured Fisrt Sqaud

FAST ATTACK

3x Sentinals w/ Lascannons

HEAVY SUPPORT

Basilisk

Demolisher

Russ

Sound better? Anything in my n00bishness I'm missing?

~ Yossarion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't let the nay-sayers sway you! I always use two bassies and they have never failed me. When delpoying on a long table edge, just place one in one corner and the other in the opposite corner. As long as they are both operational, all of your opponents will be in range of one or the other (with about 6" in the middle of your table edge where they are safe). Now, bassies will get popped. They are very fragile tanks, but I cannot think of a better use of 250 points in this entire game (certainly not in the IG Codex, anyway).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the general feeling is that sharpshooters is too expensive for a rank and file squad, and I agree. If you add anti-tank/firesupport squads to your cammand HQ, sharpshooters would work very well there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast