What are people's experiences of and with 13th company? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are people's experiences of and with 13th company?

I recently bought the eye of terror codex as i was looking at expanding my space wolves with 13th company. I know you can't use the two together, but them all being son's of russ, i liked the idea.

I have used my current SW army as proxy for what i would have if i had a 13th company army - all i was missing was random chaos bits to the army! This gave me an idea of what 13th compnay are capable of, but i have yet to proxy for a wulfen choice and fenrisian wolves.

So i was wondering, those who play or have played against 13th company what do you think of them.

My first proxy game was a against a fairly new marine player, but in the short time he has played, he has clocked up a lot of gaming time, and knowledge of rules. Whenever i go against him with my SW's, i generally get creamed, really badly. So with my first outing with the 13th's i didn't put much hope in a win, i just wanted the chance to play test them. The game went to last man on the board, i had my Wolf Lord left on the field and he had a LST. Having put up a great fight my wolf lord was dispatched to the next world, and the LST was the sole viable unit on the field. It came out as a technical draw, although i had nothing left on the board ... and i was more than impressed by the outcome.

My second outing with the 13th's was against a new Tau player. Again when using my SW's i have won as many games as i have lost - and again his tactics are sound for a newbie, he just needs to play test his army more and devour his codex better. We only got to play 4 turns, due to time constraints and this time i had a marginal win, approximately 30 points gave me the win. Considering 13th have no heavies and the tau was HS heavy, i thought they came off really well.

The list i play presently, which from what i can work out is not a legal force, but then again my opponenets don't mind as they occassionally play illegal armies themselves due to the models we have/haven't got. Anyway here is the list:

Wolf Lord + 2 wolves
    Plasma Pistol, Master Crafted Frost Blade, Mark of the Wulfen and a Belt of Russ.

Rune Priest, Plasma Pistol, Master Crafted Force Axe, Mark of the Wulfen, and Runic Armour.

Wolf Priest
    Power weapon, Iron Wolf Amulet, Healing Balms and Potions, bike, and Mark of the Wulfen.

Storm Claws
    10 + 1 upgraded to Wolf Guard with single lightning claw and bolt pistol; 2 plasma pistols, 1 power fist, 1 power weapon, and a flamer

Grey Slayers
    9 meltagun, power weapon, and powerfist

Storm Claw Bikers *3
    one with power fist, one with meltagun, one upgrade to wolf guard with power weapon.

the above list is from memory, and my memory is far from brilliant, but thats the jist of it, and it comes to just shy of 1500 points.

any comments or suggestions?

Last edited by Jodfrey; September 8th, 2005 at 16:42. Reason: spelling
    Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I don't play 13th company, but a general rule when playing space marines is: Don't overequip. Master-crafting weapons and giving plasma pistols to independent characters is a waste of points. Also, that lightning claw with bolt pistol is a waste too since you can get no extra attack from the pistol. Be wary of expensive wargear! Hidden powerfists are always your friend, put power fists on models your enemy can't directly allocate attacks too.

Also, flamers are the worst weapon choice for foot-slogging units.. get melta guns instead.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand where you are coming from with regards to expensive wargear, and normally i play with very little wargear whatsoever, but i am now play testing as much wargear as i can to see whether it is worthwhile or not.

Also i find that the plasma pistols with the HQ's works quite well as they generally have more chance of saving from it over heating, with either invulnerable saves or multiple wounds, and it also has the power to punch through most armours when he no longer has a retinue.

Mastercrafting weapons is overpriced, but as i am wanting as many attacks as possible for an army with so few options, this seemed a good idea and has stood me in good stead so far.

The flamer rarely gets to fire, but then again neither does the meltagun, but they have their uses and as such they both have places in my army - especially when i only have a few number of models to proxy as close to the 13th's as possible.

As for the single lightning claw, yes i don't get the bonus for 2 weapons, but i do get to reroll failed hits/wounds ( i forget which) at standard initiative, with no saves, whereas powerfist strikes last and as such is not really my friend against other marine armies, but again powerfists have their place in my army.

Cheers for the thoughts, and they have been duly noted for further army lists when i have some more options.

keep them coming.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

GAR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had great success with 13th co.

However, I would sugest that storm claws are a waste.

What I would run is a wolf lord with runic armor, belt of russ and mastercrafted lighting claws with the mark of wulfen. it makes him an infantry killing machine, nothing survives an assault from this guy.

3 units of grey slayers with a melta gun in each unit

2 units f wolves

1 of long fangs with 2 plasma gns and 2 melta guns

1 long fang with 2 lascannon and 2 missile luanchers

1 librarian

up to 6 wulfen

this is a fast force that can, and at times is, in your enemnies deployment zone at the end of turn 1. it makes it very difficult for opponents to deal with crazed wolves and wulfen on them so fast.

However, 13th co does take a bit of finese to play, you can never just go charging strait into your opponents guns as you have so few models that you can survive a sustained firefight.

Hit them hard and hit them fast and you should do well.
    GAR,
    THE BEATINGS SHALL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently played a 1850 point game against them and was unimpressed. My all infiltrating Space Marine army pretty much shot them to bits. The Wulfen were hard to deal with as they ate one of my squads but concentrated bolter fire destoyed them too.
    <(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to add the pack of Long Fangs i had on to my list. Pack Leader, one Heavy Bolter, One PLasma Cannon, one Lascannon, and one missile launcher.

I like the idea of your pair lightning clawed wolf lord in runic armour and belt of russ, think i may have a conversion soon to do!!!

As for the grey slayers instead of the storm claws, i may have to try that, when i eventually get more models.

Keep it coming

As for the negatives keep them coming as well, as then i have things to look out for. Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

I have played 13th Company recently with my Dark Angels and won at 1500pts by my 3rd turn.

Overall I would in all modesty say I was a better tactician afew points not to do like this guy.

Dont do this, he did.

1. Allow Wulfen to be attacked by Terminators.
    2. Allow Storm Claws Bikers to be charged by Dreadnought.
    3. Deep strike Grey Slayers in front of a Vindicator and 2 Tactical squads with Plasma Cannon.

Not doing any of those things will radicaly increase your survival chances.

It seems important to use the Gate but go for the side armour on vehicles and stay out of LoS to the rest as possible. Unfortunatly 13th Company seems to me to be in a shear race before it gets shot appart. Even as after his first turn he was more than 1/2 way to me (and he got first turn).

Bikers and Long Fangs could help, but Long Fangs do not come in survivable squad sizes. Yours seem a little mixed in thier weapons, 2 lascannon 2 Heavy bolters might do better or more of the good old fshioned ML.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

13th company tends to suffer from lack of mobility (fleet doesnt cut it) and extreme model costs

I havent really seen them do well at all in a tournament setting, but against some armies they can do okay.. It's like playing grey knights without the stormbolters imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, my friend brought his 13th company over to my house last Sunday. i played some DW that I've had for awhile but rarely play ( I usually play Feral orks or TK Sons).
    It ended in a draw only because one of my DS units went right of the board and left my Dread starnded in front of some LFs. Otherwise i really believe i would have wiped him off the board.
    He had a lot of trouble with an LR Prometheus loaded with a Chappie and two assault cannons.
    In fact I used a lot of ACs. He was hard pressed to kill 2+ save termies and by far his best troops were Wulfen ( took out a squad and a half of Termies thanks to me allowing him to charge into a second unit that I should have moved back). I don't know why you would think not to charge Wulfen into termies. It is a lot better than letting the Termies rend them with ACs. Your PFs do not get to go first and you will not save your whole squad unless you roll like a fiend. His wolves also tied up a squad of termies for half the game and that really played to his advantage.I was not all that impressed with his Slayers.They never got close enough to do any significant damage before they were reduced to half squads and less.
    If I played 13th I would probably play a Wulfen force with a couple of squads of LFs and a gating Rune Priest and a bike WL with a retinue of Claws with PFs. But that's just my style. Now my DW is geared up to take out horde armies as I play Ferals against them often enough and a few of my friends play Tyranids. I just don't play them enough to be fluid with them and i make mistakes. That said, it was a very good game. I really enjoyed playing against them and the scout move in a recon mission is pretty good. Unfortunately his bikes arrived turn three. Those Wulfen moved up board with a two packs of wolves in front of them pretty quickly. Scary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bebe - you say his wolfen had a rough time against your terminators, that i can understand, but when i went against the marine player, my Wolf Lord killed 4 command squad terminators in one assault!!!

My WL was really swinging that master crafted frost blade to good use, as it negated their 2+ save with it being a power weapon, and he just couldn't get the 5/6+ save for his invulnerable save to protect him. Admittedly he did have 9 attacks on the charge (good rolling for Mark of Wulfen!!!)

As for my LF's yes they are a bit mixed up, but that is because that is the weaponary i had for them (i also have one with multimelta) and it should be something i rectify, but i'm a tight wad when it comes to spending money, most of the time getting units that can enlarge my army as opposed to replacing bits that may not be that effective but serve a purpose.

Keep it coming as i love to see what people make of the 13th's pros and cons, and then i'm better informed to come to my own pre-gaming conclusions.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast