making comand squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

making comand squads

i havent played IG for years, on top of that my old army has gone "missing" at a friends house. so im starting all over again,

infanty squads seem simple enough afew with just lascannons and some with auto-cannons and plasma guns or missile launchers and plasma guns

but when it comes to comand squads how to we kit them out, do thay stand in the line with loads of plasma guns and chew up MEQ's but this would mean thay would attract alot of fire and i'll be left without officers very quickly, or do i keep them naked and stand behind the line to offer leadership. or do i deck them out for some CC with psyckers with force weapons poriests with those big chain sword things and comissers as well as officers all kitted out for some CC

are medics worth it

how many points should i be looking at spending per comand squad

also i dont intend to use Vox

do the enemy always get into CC or can you just chew through them before thay reach you

high elves 1/1/0 (since i sign on to LO, but countless battles before that)

building a new IG army as we speek its about 500pts sofar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Command squads are either "naked," and used only for leadership, contain a heavy weapon and give leadership too, or are maxed out with special weapons with maybe one heavy weapon. If they are tooled out, dropping them in to blow up a tank or two is a common tactic.

Remember that you need some officers for leadership. I use my HSO with Iron Discipline and standard bearer to give leadership to my fire base.

It is possible to build a command squad for CC, but they will be far from CC monsters against almost everything. I have a squad that can tear through MEQs, but it will only win against enemy squads of about 5 - not that impressive, but will delay the charge for at least a full turn.

As for medics, there is a debate about weather they can save wounds that bypass armour saves (stupid vague rules). I don't use them, because by the time your command squads are taking hits, it's too late. They shouldn't get hit at all if you want them to survive.

Command squad can go for less than 50 pts to at least five times that.

If enemies get into CC, then you are probably going to lose the combat. It is possible to chew through them first, but with IG this is usually the battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I like to use mine as leadership and as a CC counter charge unit. Take an HSO, or JO + Honorifica, and give Carapace, Power Weapon and Plasma pistol. Give the unit a mortar, and thats it, maybe a Melta or Flamer. Keep them behind your troops out of LOS, and lead until the bad boys get close. The HSO will be able to take out some enemy, but is not a huge CC squad.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Tooling command squads is not a smart tactica anymore. now that screening is no more

you really need to keep the simple.

your HQ command squad should be for Ld w/ a banner and kept out of LOS.

as for platoon command squads. they should be trimmed to one roll. either Ld(w/ or w/out HW support), or suicide squads.

if you try to give them a HW and 2 SW or other goodies, they'll be shot apart asap.
    i usually run
    JO w/ ID (possible carapace and bolter)
    commad squad (possible w/ non LC/HB HW).

or a suicide squad (4flamer or 4melta).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hand of blood
    or do i deck them out for some CC with psyckers with force weapons poriests with those big chain sword things and comissers as well as officers all kitted out for some CC
    :eek: my heart!!! you do realize what you saying right :eek:
    listen if you want cc go with at best orgyns at worst 50 conscript to hold the enemy up.
    i g tend not to get far i cc
    some flaws
    1. psykers with force weapon is 35 some pts he has a 1/2 chance of his weap not doing anything(doctrine pt)
    2.priest with eviscertors cost 70 some(doctrine pt)
    3. commisars can execute your 70 some hso
    4.were not s4 and even with a power fist we strike last.even s6 aint that great

dont go with cc hq unless your whole army is cc
    cc options for stopping(or at least blunting assualts)
    1.conscripts with 50 guys and a leader to make sure the dont run(this should tie any enemy up for half the game)
    2 ogyrns(pretty much self explanitory)

3. rider with lances(s5 i5 power weapons on the charge with rip open termis/+2 armor saves)

Boxants 4 melta squad is most effective in drop troop armies(im fine with storm troopers with 2)
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

118 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by jancz
    Boxants 4 melta squad is most effective in drop troop armies
    you can also use them in a chimera. drive up, jump out and melt a tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ (70pts)

junior officer
    + power fist
    2 guardsmen with laspistol and CC weapon
    2 gaurdsmen with mortar

this i my own HQ
    modification will happen in time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medics can work out alright for command squads if you give them 3 plasma guns. With 3 plasma guns and only a 5+ save, it's quite likely that they will fry themselves- especially if they rapid fire. Considering that each plasma gunner costs at least 16pts, it can be a wise investment. Other than that, leave the medic at home.

Never ever ever tool your HQ out for close combat. If you're going to have any unit be your "countercharge punch" unit, use stormtroopers or veterans. You'll need to have 10 man squads- your 5 man command squads will likely die before they can take a swing. Also, stormtrooper and veteran sergeants can take power weapons (or powerfists for veterans) and because sergeants are untargetable, this greatly increases your chances at killing something with armor. Otherwise they target your weak little officer and he dies before he can do anything. Bear in mind that the meanest officer you can make still only has strength 3 toughness 3 and a 4+ armor save. He'll get chewed to bits by any army other than Tau.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by [*NoCo*]
    HQ (70pts)

junior officer
    + power fist
    2 gaurdsmen with mortar

this i my own HQ
    modification will happen in time
    Just a quick question, you're giving these guys a mortar which suggest you're going to hide them, so why the powerfist? Also, why aren't you using the HQ Command Squad for leadership purposes? This is the only squad in the entire army that can have a regimental standard or a master vox caster, yet you're not giving them any of these things. No Iron Discipline, no Honorifica and no HSO. Why?

Also: Signature thief! *shakes fist* :p
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

118 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by [*NoCo*]
    HQ (70pts)

junior officer
    + power fist
    2 gaurdsmen with mortar
    I am not liket his config Simply put, it has too many roles and doesn't do any of them well.

If you want to hide w/ a mortar (good idea, i do it often) then you're going to want them to be Leadership orientated. That means giving the JO Iron Disp. and since this is your HQ, a Standard is virtually manditory!

If you want a CC-counter. Then drop the mortar. as for the JO, a powerfist on a JO = a dead JO and a wasted powerfist. seriously, Officers are IC and a T3 5+ Ini1 1wound character is a dead character in CC. You'd be lucky to swing once.

If you really want to use the Powerfist Officer (the cadian one looks cool ) then you're going to have to give him HonorImp and Carapace (or just make him HSO). I've actually had this guy kill a SM bike squad in CC. Just look out for hidden Powerfists.

along w/ the officer you're going to probably want to put at least 2 flamers. for the added punch.

but seriously, IG squads are plentiful and cheap. we can afford to specialize. in fact, we excel at specialization (or should i say, suffer at versatility...). leave the "do anything" squads to the SMurfs. (well, ok i must admit my Vets are a "do anything squad..." hehe).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast