Starting IG, help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting IG, help!

Well i finnaly did it my FULLY painted IW army is now on eBay. and im going to start my new fresh army IMPERIAL GUARD YAA!

BUT since i have only played against them once and never owned them im not sure what to buy. I have read there codex front to back but still want some in put on what MODELS to buy.

Going for the basic lots of troops and tank build. but not sure how i want to handle my squads and what to arm them with.

im thinking all plasma guns for my units, since melta is to short range and plasma can rapid fire with the flash lights. as for heavy weapons, mainly going for missle launchers for diversity with lascannons and h.bolters as back up.

in say a diverse 1500-2000 point army how many squads should i have? how many plasma guns and heavy weapons do i need to purchase? as well as command squads? im a bit confused on how the platoons work out since i havent had a chance to buy the codex.

also what are your opinions on sentials? ( cadian style ) orgyrns and karskins?

what tanks should i get? thinking 2 leman russes and 1 bassy, with 2 hell hounds and 2 chimeras for transports ( one for karskins or HQ and one for ogryns ) maybe some sentials but they seem expensive for what you get.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

I've pretty much went about building my army just from the Cadain starter box. Its a pretty
    good deal for a tank and two infantry squads. I also think it gives you a heavy weapons
    team. This you can get for about 90$ US. Buy the codex, and the nessecary paints. Should
    come out to be no less than $150-175 with everything.

Now for expansion, you'll probably want to be thinking about what kind of playing style you
    want.

For example, you've got offensive, static, and defensive.

For an offensive expansion your going to be wanting to get hellhounds, and sentinels.
    and probably even a storm trooper squad box.

For static, pick up more troops, and buy another tank. Leman Russ Battle tanks
    are good at longer range but have lesser overall strength than a Leman Russ Demolisher.
    A demolisher will have good blowing up ability for opposing squads.

For Defensive, you'll definitly want fire support teams. Anything from anti infantry
    to anti tank fireteams. These are your heavy weapons crews anything from missile launchers
    to mortars to lascannons. Also for pie plates you can use Bassilisks to give your opponent
    the heebie jeebies.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -52 (x0)

Hey buddy,

I am a veteran IG player, (5 years, over 100 battles with some of my fraternity brothers, and yes greeks play warhammer too)

I have about 3000 Pts worth of IG, Ive never had the chance to field it all on the same table for a game though... heres some helpful hints, take them as you will.

Start off with the battle force, it gives u a tank a H weapons team (hereafter HWT) and a Lema russ Main Battle Tank (hereafter LRMBT) and 20 stalwart defenders of the emperors creed...

Get this and the codex... This way, if you decide you dont like them, your not at too big a loss.

IG are really great for modellers, because like chas, have great conversion potential... with that i will tell you that you WILL BE PAINTING FOR A VERY LONG TIME. IG is a numbers intensive army. I think only the tyranids have the capacity to field more bodies than you can.

Again, the kinda army you want is going to dictate models you get.

I personally like to "grab the enemy by the nose, and kick them in the ass" approach. Keeping them at an arms distance, So I have a LOT of infantry and HWT, Additionally, I utilize ratlings or cadian snipers to keep my enemy's head down.

Now, my army isnt all Cadian figures, i started back when catachans were the main IG model in plastic form, so half my army is catachan (About 85 guys) and the rest is cadia, that I got a load from the army deal for the eye of terror campaign in 03 (120 Cadian bodies to throw into the maw!). Regardless of me, here what you want to do...

Infantry: you will initially have 20 with the battle force, this can be 2 squads, and now you need a command squad. you can buy these in a box for about 35 or if you want to be gangster about it, get the old cadian metal models and mod them out, give the dude a bionic leg, give im a bong with a plasma gun attachment, while your modding out, go hog wild!

The blisters for officers, especially the older models can be found at your retailers, and they usually are a better bargain and more characterful in my opinion that GW's latest mental paja...

so twenty guys and a bunch of ROTC oficers later and you have a platoon... this is ONE troop choice.. now perhaps its dawning on you that you need another, never fear.

The guard has the armored fist squad, which you may take one for every platoon or squad i think of footsoldiery.

Dont let anyone fool ya, the chimera is a friggin bolt magnet, but itll get your guys across to an objective and drop some H bolter fire or flame on the enemy in the process, and as a bonus, your poor IG's can shoot out the port sides... 1 squad and a chimera is sold by GW as a box for like $ 50... PERSONALLY, I had more fun getting another box of cadian and a chimera, I got another 10 guys out of it that I made into 2 HQ units!

youll need a headquarter, and to be totally honest man, just getting the regular cadian officer and command box set is your best deal, it comes with a medic, a banner guy and two special weapons, hell some even come with a little injured dude.

My command is moded from a regular cadian box, but then Im tryin to be cheap about stuff.

I suggest taking both melta's and plasma, just use them according to their role on the field. ..

ex.

Your tank hunting command for platoon two doesnt need a plasma gun, if their that close (12 in I think, but dont quote me) theyll best benefit from a melta gun warmin up the insides of that rhino...

also dont forget that plasma weapons with the new 4th ed overheat in a nasty fashion nowadays...

Ok, so now youve got an armored fist, (10 + chimera) a platoon (20 guys plus command, for 25 man unit) 3 HWT and a Tank.

You have a playable army and a heavy support choice to boot!

Kick ass eh?

If you want to further expand, once again ask yourself a pertinent Question:

Do I want something big and stupid to take care of my close combat pansy soldiers? Or do I want to spend $40 on imitation Star Wars clone troopers?

Im partial, but then again, ogryn have saved my hide time and again, once holding out against a wave of hormogaunts and supporting the ENTIRE right flank of my line with 5, yea, 5 ogryn, not losing one...

So I really like teh loud, grunting 9 foot tall freaks, and their weapons are assault 2 and have a pretty mean bite to them, also for 3 wounds a pice, can you go wrong?

These are actually some of my favorite models to mess with because of their big dumbg nature, their almost dare I say lovable...

Storm Troopers, (ST from here in): I hate them, the armor save isnt worth it, and neither really is the extra ballistic skill.... Hell guns are flashlights with an energizer E3 battery instead of the regulars.. .I laugh my ass off anytime I see some poor storm trooper supporter deep strike those toy soldiers right off the map or gt them killed by a carnifex with a barbed strangler, and honestly, Id buy some just to see them meet their demise..

commissars, great unit, but its the gift that keeps on giving, if your taking commie, you know that guard LD sucks a fat one, and they need to be "convinced to stay" and fight... commie does this by whacking the idiot comward officer and taking over, he also prevents warp attacks, although I find the sanction psyiker to be a waste fo time and another ploy for GW to make money off people who dont know better...Commies are best tooled out with a medallion crimson, and CC weapons, preferabbly power swords, sometimes, a powerfist, but thats gonna make you hit slower.

Sentinels, cadian ones are ok, autocannon takes out med and light vehicles and most infantry,

heavy weapon teams are GREAT but you cant move em much.... Im a fan of the mortar against high number odd LD armies like orks and nids... autocannons and lascannons make mince out of marines and necrons, heavy bolters will cap an eldar of either persuasion and is great against nids and orks as well.

never underestimate the power of the flamer!!! In near CC situations it just may be the lifesaving shot that keeps your round and squishy guardsmen out of that orks choppa path or becoming that tyranids B**ch.

Tank wise..... Ol IG is spoiled for choice.... again, depends on your army, LR MBT are great for heavy fire that stays static... want to move? LR Demolisher will make your opponent cry, this thing is like strength 10 and can really lay a hurt down on the enemy and better yet! Plasma cannon sponsos, which arent available on the mbt! plasma cannon x2 a lascannon, and a str 10 demolisher cannon? That is ANYONES nightmare, plus that 14 armor in the front... bang bang!

hellhounds are good if you want to take the fight to the enemy, but they can backfire...
    basilisks are good IF its a long table game, but leave it at ome or in the box if your table is less than 48 inches, because I think theres a 36 in blind spot with that thing in indirect fire mode, just be a man and take a mortar!

IG have doctrines, getting the book and pickin out the kinda army you want to make (fluffwise great) can help you pick and choose wat you want to put into your force.

Its trial and error man...

As a parting word, please remember this, the guardsmen are not meant to survive, at such a low point cost per man, you should be using them wisely, but unabashedly,. if theres a group of bezerkers you just shot down to 4 from 12 and they are occupying by the table quad you want to take? To hell with it!!! Send 30 of them over the hill, sure, many will die but think of the effect!!! And with a commissar there, theres no telling what they can do!!
    So if you get touchy bout casualties, this is NOT the army for u... u are guaranteed to lose at least a quarter of your guys in a good fight, and that is if they dont reach the line...

And dont underestimate the ubiquitous Mk 4 Kantrael LAsgun.... in numbers, its QUITE effective...
    I have seen ork warbosses in mega armor fall to the concentrated fire of the guardsmen as he tried to trod from cover to cover... .and it was all ALL lasfire, no support weapons there.

Hope I helped

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

Read my thread. Your exactly why its there.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deltaguard1894
    Hey buddy,

I am a veteran IG player, (5 years, over 100 battles with some of my fraternity brothers, and yes greeks play warhammer too)

I have about 3000 Pts worth of IG, Ive never had the chance to field it all on the same table for a game though... heres some helpful hints, take them as you will.

Start off with the battle force, it gives u a tank a H weapons team (hereafter HWT) and a Lema russ Main Battle Tank (hereafter LRMBT) and 20 stalwart defenders of the emperors creed...

Get this and the codex... This way, if you decide you dont like them, your not at too big a loss.

IG are really great for modellers, because like chas, have great conversion potential... with that i will tell you that you WILL BE PAINTING FOR A VERY LONG TIME. IG is a numbers intensive army. I think only the tyranids have the capacity to field more bodies than you can.

Again, the kinda army you want is going to dictate models you get.

I personally like to "grab the enemy by the nose, and kick them in the ass" approach. Keeping them at an arms distance, So I have a LOT of infantry and HWT, Additionally, I utilize ratlings or cadian snipers to keep my enemy's head down.

Now, my army isnt all Cadian figures, i started back when catachans were the main IG model in plastic form, so half my army is catachan (About 85 guys) and the rest is cadia, that I got a load from the army deal for the eye of terror campaign in 03 (120 Cadian bodies to throw into the maw!). Regardless of me, here what you want to do...

Infantry: you will initially have 20 with the battle force, this can be 2 squads, and now you need a command squad. you can buy these in a box for about 35 or if you want to be gangster about it, get the old cadian metal models and mod them out, give the dude a bionic leg, give im a bong with a plasma gun attachment, while your modding out, go hog wild!

The blisters for officers, especially the older models can be found at your retailers, and they usually are a better bargain and more characterful in my opinion that GW's latest mental paja...

so twenty guys and a bunch of ROTC oficers later and you have a platoon... this is ONE troop choice.. now perhaps its dawning on you that you need another, never fear.

The guard has the armored fist squad, which you may take one for every platoon or squad i think of footsoldiery.

Dont let anyone fool ya, the chimera is a friggin bolt magnet, but itll get your guys across to an objective and drop some H bolter fire or flame on the enemy in the process, and as a bonus, your poor IG's can shoot out the port sides... 1 squad and a chimera is sold by GW as a box for like $ 50... PERSONALLY, I had more fun getting another box of cadian and a chimera, I got another 10 guys out of it that I made into 2 HQ units!

youll need a headquarter, and to be totally honest man, just getting the regular cadian officer and command box set is your best deal, it comes with a medic, a banner guy and two special weapons, hell some even come with a little injured dude.

My command is moded from a regular cadian box, but then Im tryin to be cheap about stuff.

I suggest taking both melta's and plasma, just use them according to their role on the field. ..

ex.

Your tank hunting command for platoon two doesnt need a plasma gun, if their that close (12 in I think, but dont quote me) theyll best benefit from a melta gun warmin up the insides of that rhino...

also dont forget that plasma weapons with the new 4th ed overheat in a nasty fashion nowadays...

Ok, so now youve got an armored fist, (10 + chimera) a platoon (20 guys plus command, for 25 man unit) 3 HWT and a Tank.

You have a playable army and a heavy support choice to boot!

Kick ass eh?

If you want to further expand, once again ask yourself a pertinent Question:

Do I want something big and stupid to take care of my close combat pansy soldiers? Or do I want to spend $40 on imitation Star Wars clone troopers?

Im partial, but then again, ogryn have saved my hide time and again, once holding out against a wave of hormogaunts and supporting the ENTIRE right flank of my line with 5, yea, 5 ogryn, not losing one...

So I really like teh loud, grunting 9 foot tall freaks, and their weapons are assault 2 and have a pretty mean bite to them, also for 3 wounds a pice, can you go wrong?

These are actually some of my favorite models to mess with because of their big dumbg nature, their almost dare I say lovable...

Storm Troopers, (ST from here in): I hate them, the armor save isnt worth it, and neither really is the extra ballistic skill.... Hell guns are flashlights with an energizer E3 battery instead of the regulars.. .I laugh my ass off anytime I see some poor storm trooper supporter deep strike those toy soldiers right off the map or gt them killed by a carnifex with a barbed strangler, and honestly, Id buy some just to see them meet their demise..

commissars, great unit, but its the gift that keeps on giving, if your taking commie, you know that guard LD sucks a fat one, and they need to be "convinced to stay" and fight... commie does this by whacking the idiot comward officer and taking over, he also prevents warp attacks, although I find the sanction psyiker to be a waste fo time and another ploy for GW to make money off people who dont know better...Commies are best tooled out with a medallion crimson, and CC weapons, preferabbly power swords, sometimes, a powerfist, but thats gonna make you hit slower.

Sentinels, cadian ones are ok, autocannon takes out med and light vehicles and most infantry,

heavy weapon teams are GREAT but you cant move em much.... Im a fan of the mortar against high number odd LD armies like orks and nids... autocannons and lascannons make mince out of marines and necrons, heavy bolters will cap an eldar of either persuasion and is great against nids and orks as well.

never underestimate the power of the flamer!!! In near CC situations it just may be the lifesaving shot that keeps your round and squishy guardsmen out of that orks choppa path or becoming that tyranids B**ch.

Tank wise..... Ol IG is spoiled for choice.... again, depends on your army, LR MBT are great for heavy fire that stays static... want to move? LR Demolisher will make your opponent cry, this thing is like strength 10 and can really lay a hurt down on the enemy and better yet! Plasma cannon sponsos, which arent available on the mbt! plasma cannon x2 a lascannon, and a str 10 demolisher cannon? That is ANYONES nightmare, plus that 14 armor in the front... bang bang!

hellhounds are good if you want to take the fight to the enemy, but they can backfire...
    basilisks are good IF its a long table game, but leave it at ome or in the box if your table is less than 48 inches, because I think theres a 36 in blind spot with that thing in indirect fire mode, just be a man and take a mortar!

IG have doctrines, getting the book and pickin out the kinda army you want to make (fluffwise great) can help you pick and choose wat you want to put into your force.

Its trial and error man...

As a parting word, please remember this, the guardsmen are not meant to survive, at such a low point cost per man, you should be using them wisely, but unabashedly,. if theres a group of bezerkers you just shot down to 4 from 12 and they are occupying by the table quad you want to take? To hell with it!!! Send 30 of them over the hill, sure, many will die but think of the effect!!! And with a commissar there, theres no telling what they can do!!
    So if you get touchy bout casualties, this is NOT the army for u... u are guaranteed to lose at least a quarter of your guys in a good fight, and that is if they dont reach the line...

And dont underestimate the ubiquitous Mk 4 Kantrael LAsgun.... in numbers, its QUITE effective...
    I have seen ork warbosses in mega armor fall to the concentrated fire of the guardsmen as he tried to trod from cover to cover... .and it was all ALL lasfire, no support weapons there.

Hope I helped
    All i got to say is WOW!! thanks for putting that much time and effort into your reply i really do appreciate it!

i do have one question, for the platoon leader squad, do you just use the command box? or is that command box just for HQ ( ie. general )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-52 (x0)

its general purpose man, just depending on what you want them to look like... I personally like blisters.... .but then again, Im a sucker for the classicks

Glad to help
    "Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."
    youve been legal pwned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deltaguard1894
    its general purpose man, just depending on what you want them to look like... I personally like blisters.... .but then again, Im a sucker for the classicks

Glad to help
    ya after looking at what u get in the command box im not sure ill go with it.

ill just stick to the NEW* LT blister with the LT and stuff for the platoon leaders, give them some regular guards men and be done with it.

for HQ ill pick up the car and krel blister and he can be my general with some regular guards man, and maybe a h.botler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to help you the best way i can i will post my ovn 2000 pts list
    HQ (70pts)

junior officer
    + power fist
    2 guardsmen with laspistol and CC weapon
    2 gaurdsmen with mortar

anti-tank support squard (95pts)
    3 missile launcher

troops

armoured fist squad (155pts)
    + heavy bolter
    chimera
    heavy bolter turret
    hull mounted flamer

infantry platoon

command section (70pts)
    junior officer
    + power fist
    2 guardsmen cc weapons
    2 gaurdsmen with mortar

1 squad with lasguns (75pts)
    + heavy bolter

+ heavy bolter

+ autocannon

1 squad with lasguns (85pts)
    + lascannon

heavy support

leman russ (155pts)
    hull-mounted heavy bolter
    2 sponsons heavy bolter

leman russ (155pts)
    hull-mounted heavy bolter
    2 sponsons heavy bolter

1000 pts

my army is a mix of offens and defens,
    i am fighting eldar, dark eldar, tau and nids
    så i buildt my army so i håbe it will kick there butt

hope it helps
    any question just write
    Last edited by [*NoCo*]; September 15th, 2005 at 23:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome thanks!

ya ill be playing around with Army Builder tonight to see what i can come up with, ill be getting the codex as well.

I want to buy everything in one swoop. so im going to order some models online ( ie. plasma gunners for units, i dont want the melta guns ) and then some certain lt that i want to namely with Power fists.

going to order mainly online through gc-minis, to get the 30% off, and then a bit from GW so i can pick exactly what i want.

on a side note, how many heavy weapon teams do you think i should get?

im thinking atleast 6 of each---- lascannons, missle, h.bolter, ie 18 total. dont want auto cannons since ill get them on the sentials. is that going to be enough? or should i up it a bit? or maybe more say missle then lascannons or vis-versa?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-52 (x0)

i find that lascannons have their merits and rocket launchers (dont call it a missle, or u will miss, is my supersitition) have their merits. I go wit rockets though because:

1. you have 2 types of ammo to take, a template s 4 frag shot or a str 8 krak shot... lascannon is a str 9 shot.

Bcause of the above:

- most infantry, with the exception of certain chaos baddies, have a T4 or less, with an 8 on a K rocket, you still instadeath space marine. You may have issues with deathguard, but then again, smaching them with lots of suppressive fire works good.

Las cannons have an extra bit of strength, a lower AP value (2) as opposed to (3) for the rocket.

Personally, I like being able to choose my ammo... and the rockit launcha for the IG is cheaper.

remember something dude, if you get a box of cadians, and a box of cadian HWT, you CAN technically use ALL of the different weapons in the box for a whole 12 teams, it just takes some imagination and a little green stuff
    That is why I have HW out the wazoo, not because I bought a bunch, but becayse I made the weapons teams out of soldiery and the rest of the weapons on the sprues that would nortmally go into my bit box... think about that.
    "Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."
    youve been legal pwned

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast