Big Project - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Big Project

EDIT: The bolter will no longer be functional. If you post about it being dangerous, I will laugh at you.

Well, the end of the world is coming. I'm building a bolter.

I figured it all out a month ago. In about two days time, I puzzled through the inner workings of an automatic weapon, and figured out how to apply those mechanics to the bolter externals shown on the model. I know it took a long time, but I was busy.

Anyway, about a week ago I started looking through the BSA Merit Badge Requirement book and discovered the "Model Design and Building" merit badge. Long and short, I'm getting funding from my parents to build a bolter and I'm getting merit badge credit for it. My life ROXXORZ.

The general concept is this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...erinternal.jpg
    This is a rough sketch, but it gets the point across. The bolt is a tube wrapped around the bolter with cartridge-sized holes in the top and bottom just ahead of the magazine. On the front are four gas channels touching four gas blocks. On the back is a firing pin and the cover for the shell ejector. The bolt is held forward by a spring in the back.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...rinternal2.jpg
    When the handle on the shell ejector cover is drawn back, the bolt is drawn back with it. When the hole passes over the magazine, the spring in the bottom drives a cartridge up into the chamber. The bolt is held back by a pair of pins connected to the trigger system (not shown).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...rinternal3.jpg
    When the trigger is pulled, the bolt is released and driven forward by the spring. The firing pin impacts the cartridge, firing the slug through the barrel and leaving the shell in the chamber.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...rinternal4.jpg
    As the gases from the explosion pass through the barrel, some gas is caught by the gas channels. This gas drives the bolt back by pushing on the gas blocks. As the holes pass over the magazine, a new cartridge is driven up into the chamber, displacing the spent shell through the shell ejector. If the trigger has been released, the pins will catch the bolt and hold it in the ****ed position. If the trigger is still depressed, the spring will drive the bolt forward again and fire the next cartridge.

I finished the plans and drew up a shopping list today. Tomorrow the materials will be ordered. For now, all I have is a few prototype slugs. Anyway, wish me luck! I'll post pics of the full-size sketch and prototype slugs in my next batch of model pics later this week.

Suggestions are more than welcome.

Last edited by neosonichdghg; September 17th, 2005 at 09:43.
    Quote for probably forever 'cause it rocks:

"Slaughter them, men, and bring me their hats."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is possibly one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen done. Kudos to you for undertaking a project of that magnitude by yourself. Be sure to give us all a pricing and time estimate once you've finished so we can make our own. ^_^

Now all we need to do is craft to scale power armor and chainsword and we'll be able to create the first space marines of our new Imperium!!!!

(In all seriousness)

Once again, kudos to you and good luck with your project. Don't go blowing up stuff once you've finished.
    No Pity! No Fear! No Remorse!
    Xbox Live Gamertag: NeoValkyrion
    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll lower you to their level and beat you with experience."
    "It's a head. It works. As long as it can express how much I enjoy killing people, it's all good."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is a very good idea making your own bolter. rep for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Your not going to make the rounds explosive are you? That would be over the top but it sounds like your making kind of like a giant airsoft gun.
    Last edited by Warrior47; September 15th, 2005 at 14:28.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

neo this is wonderful! good luck!

Von Romanoff :eek:

The Thousand Sons and The Ultramarines face eachother on opposite sides of a battlefield.
    Bob: Move the troops into those strategic positions to face the chaos scum!
    Magnus: *Eyes glow* You want to move the troops into the minefield.
    Bob: *Turns to Sergeant* No, move them into the minefield instead.
    Magnus: Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by
    May the Emperor's Light shine upon you, and the commissar's barrel not
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)

SM Emperor's shadows: Undefeated 15-0-0(the last count as 2 ;) )
    SM Lysander Bomb:Undefeated 2-0-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

sorry

All right, due to a number of astute people looking out for my well-being I will not be sending live rounds through this weapon. It will, however, still be a functional mechanical model as per the rules of the Merit Badge. Once it's finished I'll post a shopping list and a tutorial on its construction.

Sorry I vanished, my mom broke the internet. Don't ask me how, I have no freakin' clue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

I must admit neo, I'm a little scared. Still, when we take over the world, you become Fabricator General (just remember the real rounds then)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Fabricator General

I like the sound of that. Don't worry, I won't neglect the ammunition.

I really wish you could see my face right now, It's really quite evil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else find it scary that the sponsoers of this tread are all gun companies. well except one. Its a traffic cone compny lol.

P.S. well it was gun companies when I was wlooking at the thread. too funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool idea. But you've kinda got it wrong. The bolter is like the gyrojet of mechwarrior. Its a mini rocket launcher. The propelents stay in the bolt and continue to propel it even after it has left the barrel. But that would be very unsafe to try. good luck with the badge though and don't settle for anything less then eagle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast