Are Space marines Cheap?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Space marines Cheap??

I know all 40 K is pretty expensive, but are SM some of the cheapest? I am bogged down in IG (only 750 pts) and am looking too maybe start a cheaper army. SM attract me because of their durability. Also dreadnoughts are sweet

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Horde armies are the ones that tend to be the most expensive. Tyranids, Imperial Guard or anything else that requires a lot of models tends to be slightly more expensive than other armies.

Why only slightly? Because GW has a weird pricing scheme that makes armies that have even small models counts pretty expensive.

Grey Knights have a typically small model count, but each box of Grey Knights is a nightmare to purchase because of how expensive they are. You want ten Grey Knight Terminators? That'll run you USD $100. Not pretty.

That being said, however, I would have to point you in the direction of Chaos. Chaos models are mostly plastic (Which means cheaper) and you can tool out certain squads to be quite expensive points wise. You can make a Daemon Prince into one heck of an expensive model and then take a couple squads of Chosen and you have one heck of a small army for just a little bit of money.

NOTE: I don't really recommend tooling out squads for maximum points. This usually leads to a squad that is easily killed and you end up losing the game cause you have too many points invested in a couple of squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

As one point, I made my DA boxes into 200pts with equipment and a bits box plasma gun.
    My Grenadiers with 2 Plasma guns are only 133pts.

Both boxes are the same £ wise.

Terminators you can get 250pts for £20, but 3 LST's will be 240pts for £54 so it matters what you collect.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

Space Marines can be as cheap as you want. The advantage for them is that they have a low squad size (max 10 models unless BT or SW), and their basic trooper is on the expensive end, points-wise. Furthermore, they have by far the largest number of plastic (cheaper) models available to use/customize as you wish, and you can often use the basic tac squad sprue to make a fancy commander with a nine-man squad without having to chunk down the same amount for a single "commander" box set. Add to that the fact that they are all power-armored, and for the money, you get the biggest bang for your buck. GK may have smaller model counts in a game, but they are all metal models (more expensive cash-wise). So if you don't want to spend the dough, get SM.

OF course, if you really want to be cheap, you could buy 2 boxes of Necrons, a can of silver spraypaint, and you have the whole army (if you customize an HQ from one of the necs)
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons are pretty cheap
    Chaos is pretty good for cheap (You can convert what ever the hell you want and call it chaosy)

Expensivex10000:

Dark Eldar (raiders mainly)
    Nids (Paying 30 dollars for 16 gaunts that will be removed from the table 90% of the time...)
    Tau (You need their crisis suits generally...If you played at much more "infantry tau" it could change up.
    Grey Knights
    Sisters of Battle (Metal models)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook
    Expensivex10000:

Dark Eldar (raiders mainly)
    Nids (Paying 30 dollars for 16 gaunts that will be removed from the table 90% of the time...)
    Tau (You need their crisis suits generally...If you played at much more "infantry tau" it could change up.
    Grey Knights
    Sisters of Battle (Metal models)
    Don't forget any IG army.
    or especially any IG army that uses metal models .... ... ouch.

As for SM being cheap. yeah they're actually one of the better armies for the money impared.

After collecting 3k of IG, i decided to put together a SM army. I was very surprised that after just a few purchases I was already at 1000 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I forgot IG entirely. They're a killer money wise.

I love my proxied force for a little 500 game or something against my buddies (60 wounds on the table, mix of heavy wepons vs just a horde of nids...wee) but I'd never put out the money required to actually get them.

Terminators and vehicles are the only things that I find are really, really expensive.

+ Reply to Thread