New space marine army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New space marine army

Well i sold off my chaos IW ( just needed a change ) i have about 800 bucks to spend on a new Space marine army. But i want to make sure im doing things right before i start throwing money around.

so far i have

1 chaplain ( ill get JJ, and do i have to BITZ order that?? )

2 dreads

3 boxes of marines ( maybe 4? )
    4 blisters of assualt weapon marines ( that enough? )
    1 scout squad with sniper rifles and missle launcher

2 boxes of assualt marines
    3 speeders tornados
    1 dev squad
    1 marine with lascannon ( what others should i get? so far ill have 2 las, 1 plas, 4 missle, 1 h.bolter )
    2 predators

so........... im not to sure after this what to pick up and how to form it into a army. the stuff mentioned above ive already made a army so i can take it out on the field right away.

should i buy the veteran box set? to me vets down seem worth it, what roles do they play in ur armies? same with the command box set.

termies... not sure yet if ill go HTH or shooting, the box set only comes with 1 assualt cannon and i would probaly want 2.

any help is awesome!

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Heh, you've already got a Space Marine army right there! But if you're looking to expand, here's my advice:

Veterans aren't worth it. Yes, they can have bolt pistols and close combat weapons, as well as two special weapons (flamers, plasmaguns, melta-guns) and access to skills, but you can get all of those things with Traits. They're just overpriced Tactical Marines, though the models are cool.

The Command squad is debatable. I think it's good, what with the Standard Bearer, Company Champion, and Apothecary, as well as the other options that the Veterans can take. Plus, it doesn't take up an extra slot on the force organization chart. However, it can get pricy.

Terminators are definitely worth it. Most players would argue that Tactical Terminators (regular, gun-toting ones) are the better bet because they're also a force to be reckoned with in close combat (what with the powerfists and all), but I personally like Assault Terminators more. Whichever you choose should reflect how you want to play (close up or shooty; if you want a balanced force, Tactical Termies are probably the way to go). Either way, I think they're worth it. As for the single assault cannon, there's an article in the Articles section of the site about how to scratch-build your own!

You'll probably want a second HQ choice too.
    Last edited by Zanzibar; September 24th, 2005 at 06:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zanzibar
    Heh, you've already got a Space Marine army right there! But if you're looking to expand, here's my advice:

Veterans aren't worth it. Yes, they can have bolt pistols and close combat weapons, as well as two special weapons (flamers, plasmaguns, melta-guns) and access to skills, but you can get all of those things with Traits. They're just overpriced Tactical Marines, though the models are cool.

The Command squad is debatable. I think it's good, what with the Standard Bearer, Company Champion, and Apothecary, as well as the other options that the Veterans can take. Plus, it doesn't take up an extra slot on the force organization chart. However, it can get pricy.

Terminators are definitely worth it. Most players would argue that Tactical Terminators (regular, gun-toting ones) are the better bet because they're also a force to be reckoned with in close combat (what with the powerfists and all), but I personally like Assault Terminators more. Whichever you choose should reflect how you want to play (close up or shooty; if you want a balanced force, Tactical Termies are probably the way to go). Either way, I think they're worth it. As for the single assault cannon, there's an article in the Articles section of the sight about how to scratch-build your own!

You'll probably want a second HQ choice too.
    wow thanks for the fast reply.....

ya im trying to get everything in one shot, ive thought about 2 armies though that way ill never get bored.... hmmmm theres a BIG OPTION...

well back on subject.., what would u recomend for a 2nd HQ choice? and where would u put him? rhinos are the suck now, since u have to stand in the open, maybe on a bike? or in the termi squad with maybe a LR?

i to think assualt termis would be awesome, maybe a commander in there with a squad should be my next bet? and that would add like 500 points.

btw here is my army list that i made up

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=46983 (1500 marine vanilla)

so maybe i should ask u guys what i should ADD to this list for a more diverse lists ie. swapping in certain stuff and taking stuff out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

You have all the advice for your 1500-points list that you need so, if you're looking to up it to 2000, here's what I have to say:

Commander in Terminator armor accompanying Assault Terminators in a Land Raider Crusader.

Some people might bad mouth that (pretty expensive basket of eggs) but, with the inherent extra armor and purchased smoke launchers, the LRC will survive long enough to disgorge its load into the enemy lines, where they will cause some havoc (especially against Tau, Imperial Guard, and shooty Eldar).

The Commander can be either a Captain or Master, depending on how many points you've got to lay down. Master's probably a wiser choice for the better statline, just don't load him up with too much gear.

The Assault Termie squad's size should be determined by how many points you can send their way. The good thing about them is that you don't need to buy any upgrades, so they're a strict 40 points each. Cheap (yeah, right).

I say Land Raider Crusader because it's only fifteen more points and it can fire all of its weapons, even while on the move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what ive noticed is that most of the vets have at least 2 scout squads in thier armies 1 bolters/pistol ccw and a sniper scout squad over tacts

and dev squads go either 4x missile/4x plasma cannon/4x heavy bolter

lascannons are either on vechiles or dreads not on marines in competitive lists

you need power fists on bits order too just to be safe
    tornados are amazing
    maybe think about whirlwinds 1-2 they really hurt ig/nids/orks
    Ghost's of Terra
    trait chapter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, i think that you should pick out a chapter that you want to play and a style you would like to play.

Heres a suggestion, Black Templars. They have a cool color scheme and are getting re-vamped soon with their own codex. They have a bunch of new models coming out for them too, which look amazing if i do say so myself.

They focus around assaulty with a bit of shooting in the right places. Heres a link to an army list that i think is very good, Here! (|1500| Black Templar Crusade Auros)
    EXTERMINATUS DAEMONICUS.

Copied Avatar of JustikarYuri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by hardcastle
    Well i sold off my chaos IW ( just needed a change ) i have about 800 bucks to spend on a new Space marine army. But i want to make sure im doing things right before i start throwing money around.
    Wow.

1 chaplain ( ill get JJ, and do i have to BITZ order that?? )
    By JJ , do you mean jump pack? Because that is an excellent HQ for SM, chaplain and jump pack who joins an assault squad.

2 dreads
    Always helpful. I would suggest that one have the Lascannon and Missile launcher, and that the other have the CCW and assault cannon (for drop podding)

3 boxes of marines ( maybe 4? )
    Yes, because you can use the 4 missile launchers in a dev squad.

2 boxes of assualt marines
    Awesome.

I think you should only have 2 of these.

3 speeders tornados
    This'll definetly help.

1 dev squad
    1 marine with lascannon ( what others should i get? so far ill have 2 las, 1 plas, 4 missle, 1 h.bolter )
    Another Plasma cannon. You could have 2 (5 man) Tactical squads with a lascannon, 2 (6 man) Tactical squads with Plasma cannon ad plasma gun, a (8 man) devastator squad with 4 missile launchers, and with the remaining 16 (or just 10, because that's maximum squad size), make a drop-podding 10-man Tactical squad with a meltagun and a veteran sergeant with a power fist.

2 predators
    Personally, I don't like these, but that's just me. If you use them, give them lascannon Turrets with Heavy bolter sponsons.

should i buy the veteran box set? to me vets down seem worth it, what roles do they play in ur armies? same with the command box set.
    I don't suggest either of these, since the chaplain should go with the assautl squad anyway.

termies... not sure yet if ill go HTH or shooting, the box set only comes with 1 assualt cannon and i would probaly want 2.
    You can easily convert the heavy flamer into an additional assault cannon with some greenstuff and some thin metal rods. There's an article that explains how to do it. Otherwise, I would just get 2 Terminator boxes and have a squad with 2 cyclones and a squad with 2 assault cannons.
    Last edited by Ezekiel1990; September 24th, 2005 at 17:20.

gamesondemand

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    Yes, because you can use the 4 missile launchers in a dev squad.

I think you should only have 2 of these.
    did you realize what you just did? :huh: you quoted the same thing, only made different answers to the same question. the first answer had nothing to do with the question, but the second did. ^_^

anyway. my advice is to not bother looking at the black templars, seeing as how you have already purchased most of your army. buying new models will mess with the look of your army. is it going to be a vanilla army or a trait-based army? also, your style of play helps in making some decisions as to whether or not to have assault termies or shooty termies.
    Last edited by gamesondemand; September 24th, 2005 at 14:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamesondemand
    did you realize what you just did? :huh: you quoted the same thing, only made different answers to the same question. the first answer had nothing to do with the question, but the second did. ^_^

anyway. my advice is to not bother looking at the black templars, seeing as how you have already purchased most of your army. buying new models will mess with the look of your army. is it going to be a vanilla army or a trait-based army? also, your style of play helps in making some decisions as to whether or not to have assault termies or shooty termies.
    oh forgot to mention i havent bought anything yet, i made that army up on army builder ( i did play SM like years ago.... and have read there codex back to front many times over so i do have a idea on what to use )

would you suggest a commander with the termies? or maybe a libarian?

as for picking a chapter... im going to be doing my own color scheme, so its going to me a a basic SM chapter, havent thought about traits yet.

so on top of my list i think ill add

scouts with sniper rifles and missle launcher
    commander or libarian in termi armor
    assualt termis
    LRC

what are peoples opinion on bikes? and attack bikes? they seem expensive, but if im going for a mobile front assualt they may fit in quite well. ( ie to back up the termis or assualt marines )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally i don't like assault termies at all unles they are in a crusader. Adn then they have to be an 7-man squad with a chaplain leading them.

I like regular termies better for one, actually two, reasons. Assault cannons. These bad boys can deep strike and waste a lot of units, because heavy 8 rending is truly an amazing thing. Then on top of that, they all have power fists/chain fists so they can take down armor too. Not a bad deal if you as me. Plus the assault cannons look wicked-sick. :p

Bikes and assault bikes are really really nifty. I like them very much as a BA player. A 3 man squad of attack bikes with heavy bolters can move 12" then fire 36" away and still charge. This gives you an 18" charge range with 9, s5 ap4, shots and t-l bolters if you are within range. This lats you move in, shoot the crud out of some howling banshee's and then charge whatever the hell they have left with almost no worries (Unless you killed absolutely nothing.)

Regular bikes are good too. I know for ravenwing they can get two special weapons, but i don't know if regular space marines can get two or not. If so, then it's a great thing. Heres a squad which I really like. 5 man bike squadron with a vetsarge. The squad has two meltaguns and the vet. sarge has a powerfist. Now, i know i'm not the only one who thinks this is a bad-ass tank hunting squad. They have turbo boosters to move up the field yet behind cover 24" the first turn. And then next turn they can move 12" fire their weapons and assault! Because of their speed you can most of the time get the side or rear armor on your target so takin out tanks is fast and easy.

Last thing, I would never run my HQ in terminator armor, some people like it, I just think it attracts way too much attention to them, which is somthing you don't want to do until after they do their job. So i would say, wither a chaplain with an assault squad, or a librarian on bike. Now i know the bike thing kinda contradicts my last statement, but I think that by the time they can react to him, it will be too late. Heres an article that i got my idea from. RIGHT HERE! (librarian on a bike+veil of time)

Basically what he's saying is, you move 24" on your turn then use veil of time on your opponents turn and re-roll your 3+ invulnerable, unless you gave him artificer armor, then it would be a 2+ re-rollable invulnerable save. How godly! Then you can move in next turn and use you other power, i think that vortex of doom or the origional one you get would be good, but fear of darkness or fury of the ancients will work too. At this point in the game you will move 12" use a psychic power, then assault with a force weapon.

Anyways, i got to go so i'll reply later. Hope i helped.
    EXTERMINATUS DAEMONICUS.

Copied Avatar of JustikarYuri

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast