Steel Legion Help Please. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel Legion Help Please.

I'm new to IG, I work with Tau, but I've been looking at the Steel Legion models in my hobby store and I just want to get my hands on them.

I was wondering if I could get some tips on what I should get to start my steel legion army. I know what I want somewhat.

I want at least 2 platoons of infantry, a HQ(of course), 3 Sentinals, and 3 forms of Heavy Support.

Thanks for reading.

I hope people are having fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Well unless you're obscenely wealthy, I'd have to recommend against using Steel Legion for the majority of your guard force. They are only available in metal and have a limited range of models. Without extensive converting, all your officers, special weapons, heavy weapons, and so on will look identical, and there's only like 4-6 different models carrying the simple lasgun.

The more practical way would be to base your army on either the plastic Catachan or the plastic Cadians. Using them as the mainstay of your force, you could use the Steel Legion pieces as commanders, veterans, armored fist squads, or whatever else strikes your fancy. Maybe they represent just one platoon in your force. Let your imagination run wild.

For collecting, I'd go out and buy the Codex (if you don't have it already) and the army deal for whichever type of guardsmen you prefer. They'll come with twenty infantry, a heavy weapons squad box (which constructed carefully can yield 12-15 actual heavy weapon teams), and either a pair of sentinels (for the catachan) or a Leman Russ (for the Cadians). Take some time and put those pieces together and give them a basic paintjob before buying more or you'll get overwhelmed. Later on the agenda would be buying more of the plastic troop boxes (you'll need probably 2 more boxes, for 40 men), and that'll give you enough bodies to fill out your platoons and command squads. You can save some money by converting your officers rather than buying the metal ones--the new vehicle accessory sprue (available in Leman Russ boxes) has a nice looking tank commander with a peaked cap who can easily make a good senior officer to lead your group. A second heavy weapon box will likely get you all that you'll ever need, and then the only thing really left is your heavy support and special weapons. The Cadian troop boxes include the flamer (Boo! Hiss!) and the grenade launcher (better, but still mediocre). The only downside is that Guard isn't spoiled like Space Marines, getting all our special weapons in a plastic form in one box. We have to pay $10 for a plasma gunner and a melta gunner. Personally I'm converting my own, making a meltagun by filing the flamer nozzle up and attaching a barrel from an old Space Marine flamer or from a spare multi-melta bit laying around. Plasma guns were made from cutting the muzzles and ammo clip off a bolter, and then replacing the muzzle with one cut from a plasma pistol. The end result is somewhat simplistic looking, but I had enough pieces laying around from when I played Space Marines LOOOOOONG ago to make four of 'em without scrounging. And it didn't cost a penny, and Cadians or Catachan can be easily converted to carry them.

Hope that helped, and welcome to the guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

You can convert the steel legion models from normal cadians realtively easy to use as the majority of your troops to save money.

Take a cadian and some green stuff. Flatten the green stuff on some plastic and wrap it around the body, you could just leave the armor showing or not, and make it look like a trench coat. Then put the arms on. I made a custom commissar this way. Then put a dab of green stuff on the cadians mouth and attack some wire that trails onto a backpack or just into the trench coat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

Actually getting good results out of that is rather difficult unless you are already good at sculpting with green stuff. Making a knee-length trench coat, reshaping a helmet, and making a gas mask is no small task (forgive the rhyme). Making them look like anything but a weirdly-shaped blob of clay stuck on a professionally sculpted piece is even worse. I wouldn't give advice like this to a novice to the guard because chances are they won't be happy with the results they get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm not good at Converting, and I really like the look of the Steel Legion. I sadly don't get to actually play the game, so having a army that looks really cool, and is fun to paint is really what I'm looking for.

I'm not actually building this army until after my basic training for the US Air Force, and I get stationed somewhere. Then on my off time, I'll build it up. So, money really isn't a problem.

$35 per Steel Legion Infantry Squad x 4 squads = $140

$10 per Steel Legion Heavy Bolter x 2 = $20

$10 per Steel Legion Lascannon x 2 = $20

$30 per Steel Legion Sentinel x 3 = $90

$40 per Cadian Storm Trooper Squad x 1 = 40

$10 per Cadian Storm Trooper Sergeant x 1 = 10

$40 per Leman Russ Battle Tank x 2 = $80

$12 per Commisar Yarrick x 1 = $12

$10 per Steel Legion Lieutenant x 2 = $20

Total = $432 for the models

I want to make a diorama of the Steel Legion Defending a City, against some enemy I don't know, but I want the army to look believable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice!! but did you think about using regual storm troopers?
    http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...=10&GameNav=10
    kasakrins are used primarily by cadian

oh have you considered elysians?
    the are a drop troop army and that might be fitting due to the fact you air force
    http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog...OP_TROOPS.html
    Last edited by jancz; September 25th, 2005 at 05:15.
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen these regular Imperial Guard, they look like the might do nicely. Thanks.

As for the Air Drop Imperial Guard. I've looked over them, and they just arn't my style. I just love the look of the Steel Legion, the coat and gas mask! ^_^

I'm a fan of KillZone for the PS2, and the Steel Legion remind me of the Helgasht from that game, and I've always loved the look of a military force with gas masks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a steel legion force all done up in ash waste colors last weekend... and I just had to buy them! They are soooo much more detailed then a plastic model, and so COOL! Even though its 35 bucks a box, I rushed out and bought one... so far they havent done anything, but theyve only been in 3 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

Well if money isn't a concern, then go nuts. I love the Steel Legion as well, but economics is still a factor for me. One bit of advice I'd offer for when you begin collecting your force is to check ebay frequently. People sell their used or opened pieces there, but just as often you'll find mind condition, new in box sets for the entire range of guard models. Best of all, they sell at cheaper than retail values, sometimes with some phenomenal deals. I once got 30 Kasrkin models that were only primed, for 50 dollars. That's highway robbery. Even if you stick to sealed boxes, you can save a crapload of money, getting it for less than retail with shipping and handling included. Saving money and having it delivered right to your door, don't even have to spend gas money for the trip to the store. Technology is grand.

Anyway, when you get your list figured out feel free to post it and I'll offer any critiques and help I might have. Look forward to seeing more about your regiment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Stupid Elysians. I wonder how many of those kits ForgeWorld has actually sold. 24 lbs for 5 Guardsmen. That's like 50 bucks after shipping. 10$ for a 6 point guy. Yeah, that's gonna go over well. Dumbassess.

Anyway, as for a Steel Legion army, that's a lot of money to invest into something if you're not even planning on playing the game with them.

And as an E-1, you're probably not going to have that much disposable income to just waste on a large display piece that you'll have to move if given orders to PCS or deploy.

But if you plan on playing the game and a dedicated to using the awesome Steel Legion models, then I'd recommend starting small. Say, the following list as an example:

Get two Officer blisters (there's two different officer models, try to get one of each)
    Four boxes of Steel Legionairres
    and a Chimera.
    (est cost - $200. est points value - 400)

This'll yeild you an HQ and two troop choice, albeit not exactly at the best configuration.
    You can see how culminating a 2000 pt force can be very expensive.

Anyway, after you get through basic, if you get stationed at Robins, PM me. I'll take care of ya, kid. Heheh

Edit:

I took some pictures of my Steel Legion. They didn't come out too great. I guess I should've taken more time.

They're on my personal gallery if you want to have a look see.
    Last edited by MobiusPrime; September 25th, 2005 at 09:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast